who is going to NYU this fall 2004?

Hoeks

We should sit together for a drink in early september and talk about life (and the olsen twins;)

Last edited by a moderator:
We should sit together for a drink in early september and talk about life (and the olsen twins;)

well I'll be back, livin it up in palladium (if I have time between color sync and my internship) but it would be nice to get a studentfilms/NYU crew together for a drink

Hey you guys i am planning on applying to NYU next year. I am interested in how you guys got in (what was in your portfolio, GPA, SAT, etc.) and if you could give me any advice. So far i am creating an animation for my 10 minute movie, but other than that i am not 100% sure what i should do to improve my chances on getting in. Please inform me.
Sincerely,
Andrew

hey...how fun would that be!? if you guys are planning a nyu/studentfilms happy hour or something like that...i'm in! though...i am not an nyu student, but i am a film student in nyc...who happens to live right near nyu. lol.

I guess I'll answer the academics questions. I had a 3.6 GPA

along with an essay about me getting disqualified in my bid for student council president.

I think if you take a look at the film that I sent in, you'll suddenly become much more confident in your chances.

Well my computer sucks ass so I couldnt watch your movie- but it made me laugh looking at the title so it's probably funny.

Now, if you would be so kind, I really want to go, so tell me what I should do with this:

I have 2 student films, one is 41 mintues the other is 45, one is serious and the other is a somewhat offenable (lots of gay jokes) off the wall comedy. Both are decent but have copyrighted music. Should I submit a clip from one, or one film, or both films on tape? Also, I have written several scripts (in the right format)...should I bother sending them? Will they actually review all of this crap?

Also, my GPA is a 3.82 (rank is only 74), I have a 1300 for SAT, am in Video Club, have taped many bull**** things for school, and I'm in RoadShow (don't ask). I'm also good at writing essays...but I'm poor.

So anyway, with all that, you think I got a good chance? When should I apply? Early or not- because I want to take SATS again in the fall. Am I ****ed or do I have a good chance? Thanks if you actually answer this.

Nervous Larry-
The time limit for a submitted VHS portfolio is ten minutes. If you're going to submit anything on VHS, make it from one project. They really aren't impressed by compilations of your best camera work and effects set to music. But sending in one good scene could be fine.
Oh, and copyrighted music isn't a problem. There's no profit being made on your part.

Regarding the scripts, you can send one in as a portfolio by itself. But if you do that, then you can't send in a VHS portfolio. There's a page limit on those, as well. I think the choices for the types of portfolios to submit are: VHS/DVD, scipt, short story, storyboards, and photo essay. Each comes with its own limit that you'll need to look up before mailing it out. Also with the portfolio is an essay of up to 4 pages about you, a life-changing moment, film, etc etc.

When to apply: if you want to re-take the SATs and hold out for more financial aid, then apply regular decision. For the record, though, I got in early decision. Choose whichever one you want, but if you apply early and don't get in, then you can't apply again for regular.

--alan

Many thanks-

Now, would they be deturred by a gooft comedy with possibly offending humor?

Also- do teacher recommendations help a lot? Would perhaps shooting a short film with good dialogue be a better idea and do you need a description with this portfolio entry.

Finally- can you put other things in a portfolio, like "I've filmed many things for my school" or a personal filmography, or does that go in your essay? I don't mean to bug you, but I'm sort of lazy and I think it would help to get a first hand account.

Hey you guys thanks A LOT both nervous larry and alan denton. Nervous larry i too really want to get into nyu i have a 3.6 gpa and i am worried about that, however i am making an animation that i am VERY confident in. I am also planning to apply early decision. I understand that you have to 40 minute long movies... you should visit the nyu website to see the requirements for a portfolio. Anyway i would appreciate it if both of you guys keep in touch. THankS!

Offensive humor is risky. You never know who's going to be reviewing your submission. But if you think it's your best work and that they'll appreciate it, then send it. That's all I can say.

Recommendations are always helpful, descriptions are not necessary, and you are supposed to include a creative resume of your past work on a separate sheet.

Seriously, like Jerez said, go to nyu.edu and find the submission guidelines. It's not hard.

was that directed towards me!?!?!? cool i hope i get in anyway you guys should hook me up with your email addresses so that we can keep in touch! or whatever thanks again
Andrew

O Also alan i went to your website and saw your movie.... Very impressive...:)
Andrew

by the way NYU...two days ago, George lucas and walter murch had a chit chat downstairs guys...who missed it??:D

in which color sync class are you Caput? Do you know anyone I know?:D I'm in karoly Bardosh's class on friday

Jordan Rathus, Mike Solsky, Will Boisture, TADA, etc?:D

just curious

Anybody know Scott Faris from NYU? He is a freshmen.

If I apply to NYU early decision, do I have a better chance of getting in? If I do that, I wont be able to have time to take the SAT II. I have a 1300 SAT, does it really matter that much if I dont take the SAT II?

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back