alxschot

So this is a bit of a weird questions but some background, I'm from the UK and am in my final year of undergrad (English lit) and looking at doing an MA/MFA in screenwriting next year. Realistically I'll probably end up somewhere in the UK (LFS, Goldsmiths & MetFilm are on the list) but if I had the opportunity to go the US I would. Obviously the big hurdle is money but I figured I should at least try. However, one thing I'm coming up against is the fact that everywhere in the US is asking for three reference letters. For context out of the UK schools I mentioned only Goldsmiths asks for a reference, and it's just one. I know three might not sound like a lot but the course load at my uni is pretty light (which is totally normal btw) and this year I only had like 6ish contact hours a week and a lot of my courses (literally all in 1st & 2nd year) rotate lecturers so I wouldn't say any of my tutors know me super well, especially to speak to my ability as a writer? The one exception is my creative writing tutor from last semester, but apart from him I'm really struggling to think of anyone. Originally my plan was to do some work experience/intern this summer so I only had to scrabble for one reference, but for obvious reasons that hasn't happened. It's just really disheartening & making it feel like there isn't any point in applying?

Add your film school application to our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Add Application…

Student Films Made at Film Programs

A248
Views
Reaction score
An artist invites an especially harsh critic to her studio for an exclusive preview of her latest work.
Film Program
Loyola Marymount University
Course
PROD 550
Film Type
Assignment
Genre
Horror
Duration/Running Time
6:01
Film Completion
May 1, 2019
A248
Views
Reaction score
One man's mission to document and preserve the history and pop culture of the San Fernando Valley in Southern California. Tommy Gelinas was born and raised in the San Fernando Valley in Southern California. He grew up visiting restaurants, malls, and many other venues that slowly declined and...
Film Program
Course
PROD 600
Film Type
Assignment
Genre
Documentary
Duration/Running Time
13:52
Film Completion
Dec 1, 2020
A248
Views
Reaction score
An exploration of the history and modern day importance of postcards.
Film Program
Course
PROD 670
Film Type
Thesis Film
Genre
Documentary
Duration/Running Time
17:31
Film Completion
May 1, 2021

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Add your own Application to our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications