Icebreakers Why are you applying to Film School?

Chris W

The night was sultry...
Staff member
So why are you applying to film school this year? What made you decide to finally make the push?

I've also noticed that some of applications in the Application Tracker list a film related Undergraduate degree. If that's the case for you why did you decide to apply to graduate school for film as well instead of moving out "to Hollywood" to break in? Or are you applying to film school after being in Hollywood for a while?

Regardless of everyone's reasons... Good luck to everyone this year!

1. I want the years to be fully emmersed in writing. I honestly have not gotten the chance to write without having other classes, work and for a few years, health issues take up my time. I want my writing to be the priority and not a hobby I squeeze in when I can. This will be the time for growth.

2. I want to move to Cali. Going to grad school, hopefully with funding, is the best way for me to transition. Even with aquiring debt, I know I'll have 2 to 3 years to seek oppertunitites and internships and hopefully land a job in the feild i'm interested in. Plan B is to get a job, save up, move to Cali, get a job, write when I can and try to come up that way but like I said prior, I really want these years to write > work.

3. I'm finishing up my undergraduate degree now after taking several years off. The fact that my degree is in production is simply because I realized my school offered some screenwriting classes and the possibility of interning in Hollywood. IF I majored in that program. I enjoyed it more than my previous major so I made the change. But my undergrad degree only skimmed the surface in screenwriting while taking classes in many other areas. It just doesn't compare to majoring in screenwriting.

4. I see Graduate school as more than just a degree. Networking and building relationships is the biggest factor. I'm an introvert so this will push me more than trying to network alone. I can be mentored by professors. Get the feedback I need to improve. I get to learn the business so I'm prepared when I do land my first job. I also will be able to teach with a mfa which is a pretty cool day job.

I see this as my preferred path to reach my career goals. There are other, cheaper options but I feel this is my best chance of making it.

After working an OK job for years, and realizing that money wont buy happiness, I want to see if crippling debt will.

In all seriousness, after years of working, film has been the only constant that's been in my life for over a decade and I want to nurture that.

Ya'll literally did the work for me on this one. Pretty much everything said in this thread so far covers all my reasons to pursue graduate school. Thank god too, because otherwise I probably would have written like 25 paragraphs about it.

I did three short films in my last year of undergrad. After that, I have freelanced and worked 9/5 jobs to pay my college debt, which I have paid fully.

Now I want to continue developing my creative side and my Entertainment business side. I could easily go into film in Guadalajara or Mexico City, but our industry is in its early stages as a cultural industry. I want to surround myself of great scholars and students to nurture my ideas and come back to Mexico and apply them in new business propositions.

Besides going to the US to study will help me learn from other cultures.

My senior year of high school, a medical accident left me grounded for two years in my hometown. I was forced to forego my desired education in film, so I started studying at a local well-respected engineering college. After realizing I could never see myself working in the field of engineering, I picked up various freelance media positions and internships until I could secure a paying production job out of college. Now I'm graduating with a job aligned in video news production, but I feel it is taking me in the wrong direction. Last year I directed a short film produced by a local production company which led to the signing and development of my newest screenplay that is finishing production right now with a larger company. While I have fresh connections with these features, I want to increase my skill level quick with a focus on film rather than news. That's why I want to attend film school. Everything is perfect timing. If you miss your chance, it's gone.

I have loved watching movies since I can remember and always wanted to create my own stories that will entertain, involve and engage audiences emotionally the way other films impact me. After high-school I was considering to apply to film-school right away, but then decided against it and started to pursue a bachelor's degree in business administration and later marketing, which should serve me as a back-up in case my creative career in film isn't working out. No that I've almost finished my studies, I am finally able to take the next step and apply to film school. I have a lot of ideas and story concepts and I hope that film school will help me to get a better understanding of film-making and support me in developing my technical skills so I can better realize my ideas.

After high-school I was considering to apply to film-school right away, but then decided against it and started to pursue a bachelor's degree in business administration and later marketing, which should serve me as a back-up in case my creative career in film isn't working out.
I wouldn't look at it like that. Don't have a mentality that you have a backup. You're going to succeed. :)

That being said having another degree is good for another reason... Filmmaking is all about storytelling. It's good to have life experiences to give you insight and ideas for these stories. Also a business & marketing degree should give you additional insights on the films you make and should give you valuable skills if you're interested in producing for example.

Anyways... Good luck and welcome to the site!

That being said having another degree is good for another reason... Filmmaking is all about storytelling. It's good to have life experiences to give you insight and ideas for these stories. Also a business & marketing degree should give you additional insights on the films you make and should give you valuable skills if you're interested in producing for example.
That is certainly true :)

For now, I wish you all in advance a happy new year!

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back