Writing personal statement with an introductory story.

andy001

Just a question, I'm starting with a personal experience for the intro to my essay thats reaching about four pages at this point. Is this too long? Should I tone it down? Or leave it as it is since the storytelling aspect of it is important? I'm not sure if theres a right or wrong way to do this.

BuddernScotch

Just a question, I'm starting with a personal experience for the intro to my essay thats reaching about four pages at this point. Is this too long? Should I tone it down? Or leave it as it is since the storytelling aspect of it is important? I'm not sure if theres a right or wrong way to do this.
Hey! Good question. I've mulled this over myself in the past but this year I've had the most success with the approach I settled with, after accumulating lots of information from resourceful sites such as this - tell a unique, impactful story well and simply, that makes it clear why storytelling/film is important to you and why X particular school is going to help you reach your film goals.

How this relates to you is that - most places I applied to have required a 1-2 page personal statement. So condense and condense. Storytelling that's clear and concise is often more impactful than detailed Charles Dickens-like writing. The trick and challenge is to tell that same story you chose (I assume because it's a good one!) In at the most HALF of what you have now.

Rewrite. Edit. Cut. Rewrite. Edit. Cut. Etc.

Get to the core of what you're trying to say and... rewrite edit cut.

Hope this helps! Keep using the site and look around - some have posted their past personal statements.

Cody Young

Tattoo/Film Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I would agree with @BuddernScotch in that 4 pages is too long for a personal statement, especially if it is single spaced. You have to keep in mind that the people reading your applications have hundreds to read through and burdening them with a lengthy piece that may or may not contain completely unnecessary bits of information is a quick way to lose their attention. Revising is definitley your friend, there’s always a way to tell a story more succinctly and effectively. Overall though, if you are going into a medium that focuses on storytelling, don’t worry too much about how you use the personal statement to tell your story rather make sure that you tell your story effectively

Latest Applications

Latest reviews