What's the one thing you wish you knew before applying to film school? What would you have done differently in your application?

Chris W

The night was sultry...
Staff member
For those that've applied... what's the one thing you wish you knew when applying? What would you have changed or done differently in your application if you did it again?

People's responses to this could be very helpful to future applicants!

From what I've heard and read from interviews... biggest advice I would give would be to be yourself and not the person you think the program wants in your application.

there are a lot of small, cringe things i noticed in my applications to nyu and nfts, just in the way i communicated certain goals, but the biggest piece of advice i can give—beyond the be yourself stuff—is that it’s ok to be nervous during your interview. it’s even ok to royally f up your interview, which i did. they’re professionals who have done this for a long time, and i didn’t give them due credit to see past my bumbling inanities. in hindsight, i would’ve stressed much less about my interviews and allowed myself to be more comfortable with my own nervousness.

There is a big emphasis in these programs on- what can you bring to a piece? Why are you the writer/director/etc. to tell this story? But equally important now seems to be the question of- what can you bring this grad school community? What can you bring as a future member of your artistic community? Answering these things with honesty, thoughtfulness, and something genuinely exciting seems very important.

there are a lot of small, cringe things i noticed in my applications to nyu and nfts, just in the way i communicated certain goals, but the biggest piece of advice i can give—beyond the be yourself stuff—is that it’s ok to be nervous during your interview. it’s even ok to royally f up your interview, which i did. they’re professionals who have done this for a long time, and i didn’t give them due credit to see past my bumbling inanities. in hindsight, i would’ve stressed much less about my interviews and allowed myself to be more comfortable with my own nervousness.
What a great piece of advice. The nerves are normal, it's because you care, and because you're human. Your interviewers don't want to see a robot, they want to see a whole person. So cut yourself some slack, the more you acknowledge your nerves, the more you'll relax I bet too.

What's in the actual curriculum. Don't apply to a school just because it's a big name, make sure it offers what you're looking to get from going to school!
Figure out what you want from a program, and find ones that suit that. I wanted a program with a tight-knit and supportive alumni, offers the ability to teach, and gives me the opportunity to direct again but focus mainly on writing. I also wanted a collaborative, not competitive community. I got very lucky that FSU had everything I wanted, thought I was a good fit for the program as well, is in-state, and a four hour drive from my family.

I would have asked for application fee waivers. I found after I had submitted the majority of my applications that a lot of places will give you a fee waiver if you just ask, especially if you schedule an information session with an admissions counselor then ask them. I would have saved a nice amount of money had I known that.

Great tip. applying really adds up Where did you end up?

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back