USC SCA Film & Television Production 2024

Chris W

The night was sultry...
Staff member

USC's deadline is November 15th!​

Who's applying this year?

Here are our current admission statistics to the program and past year's applications:

Here's our interview with USC Admissions:

How to get Into USC SCA: Advice from an Admissions Committee Member

How to get Into USC SCA: Advice from an Admissions Committee Member

Considered by many to be the best film school in the world, it’s no wonder why the USC School of Cinematic Arts (SCA) is so sought after by prospective undergraduate and graduate students alike. However, the film school’s prestige can often make the application process particularly stressful and...

Good luck!

Please create threads for the other programs if you are applying to one of those. :)

Here's last year's thread which has tons of great info:

Our guide to the program will be updated soon.

Who's applying?

Last edited:
Our how to apply guide for USC has been updated for 2024. :)

USC SCA: How to Apply for 2024, Acceptance Rate, and What To Expect as an SCA Film Student

USC SCA: How to Apply for 2024, Acceptance Rate, and What To Expect as an SCA Film Student

For more than 90 years, the University of Southern California has trained the next generation of prolific filmmakers. As the nation's first institution of higher learning to offer a bachelor's degree in film, the School of Cinematic Arts remains at the forefront of emerging filmmaking trends...

Hi peeps. I wanted to know how everyone's preparing the five minute media sample.

I feel like compared to other film schools, USC's emphasis on the media sample[video option] seems a little simple compared to other schools, where their directions for their short requirements are much more specific.

I've seen multiple people saying they edited long 15, 20 min shorts into 5 min for this part, and I was going to do the same(much like a reel I suppose), but I was wondering if I should actually film something within 5 minutes that had a strong narrative. How's everyone else doing on this?

Hi peeps. I wanted to know how everyone's preparing the five minute media sample.

I feel like compared to other film schools, USC's emphasis on the media sample[video option] seems a little simple compared to other schools, where their directions for their short requirements are much more specific.

I've seen multiple people saying they edited long 15, 20 min shorts into 5 min for this part, and I was going to do the same(much like a reel I suppose), but I was wondering if I should actually film something within 5 minutes that had a strong narrative. How's everyone else doing on this?
Definitely film something with a strong narrative and can be finished in 5 minutes. USC really cares about storytelling.

Hi everyone!
Thought I'd post on here, I'm applying from the UK - first-time applicant to USC.

Quick question, when doing the creative portfolio list, have y'all included projects where you weren't the writer/director and are in other roles, and have you included projects that are creative but not film/tv related? I've been looking everywhere online and have looked at the example on the website, but still can't find a straight answer. Thanks!

Hi everyone!
Thought I'd post on here, I'm applying from the UK - first-time applicant to USC.

Quick question, when doing the creative portfolio list, have y'all included projects where you weren't the writer/director and are in other roles, and have you included projects that are creative but not film/tv related? I've been looking everywhere online and have looked at the example on the website, but still can't find a straight answer. Thanks!
Yes, I have included any creative projects that I had involvement with, regardless of whether they're related to film/TV. :D

Thank you so much, that's really helpful! Out of interest, how many projects have you listed? I'm trying to gauge how far back to go :D
Yes, I have included any creative projects that I had involvement with, regardless of whether they're related to film/TV. :D

Thank you so much, that's really helpful! Out of interest, how many projects have you listed? I'm trying to gauge how far back to go :D
I have nine projects listed. The last two I listed are from 2014. That might be a bit far back but I wanted to list them because they're two projects I'm proud of and feel represent me.

Hey everyone, I hope you guys are doing well on your applications! Just a quick question for anyone who is sending their official transcript electronically—is it fine if they receive that after the Nov.15 deadline? I just submitted my application, but I wonder what if they receive the official transcript after Nov.15? They want us to attach a USC ID to the transcript, an ID that you will receive only after submitting the application. I'm still waiting on that ID. Thanks! ☺️

Hey everyone, I hope you guys are doing well on your applications! Just a quick question for anyone who is sending their official transcript electronically—is it fine if they receive that after the Nov.15 deadline? I just submitted my application, but I wonder what if they receive the official transcript after Nov.15? They want us to attach a USC ID to the transcript, an ID that you will receive only after submitting the application. I'm still waiting on that ID. Thanks! ☺️
I actually spoke to the office yesterday and asked this exact question. They said that it's fine if the transcripts come a little later, they just want the app. in by the deadline!

Hey guys! For the Creative Portfolio List...do you just list the projects, or are you also including them in the PDF? Maybe I'm reading the description wrong, but it seems like it's simply a list / resume of all the creative work that you've done. Appreciate any clarification or what y'all are doing! Much gratitude and thanks!

Hey guys! For the Creative Portfolio List...do you just list the projects, or are you also including them in the PDF? Maybe I'm reading the description wrong, but it seems like it's simply a list / resume of all the creative work that you've done. Appreciate any clarification or what y'all are doing! Much gratitude and thanks!
Ignore, I figured it out! Sorry for the confusion.

FYI I reorganized the application categories in the database to remove the unnecessary Graduate and Undergraduate cateogries... BUT the most useful change is that you can now sort applications in our acceptance statistics by Application Year. This makes it much easier to see the USC Spring notification dates. :)

Everyone be sure to log their application in our database if you haven't yet.

It's very useful to everyone and helps improve our acceptance data!

All I've had so far is an email just before Christmas saying that they can't proceed with my application without receiving an official transcript (I had uploaded one during the application but they needed the official one). I emailed back to say that my undergraduate university in the UK doesn't email or mail out transcripts anymore (it's extremely frustrating!) and only operates an online portal where I have to add an email address for an invitation, and I asked if that would be ok and if so, which email should I add but I haven't heard back. I'm following up with them today so will hopefully update soon!

Hi everyone, I just finished my interview a few hours ago. The professor was very nice. Being an international student, I didn't speak completely smoothly for some questions, but it went well I guess. Has anyone else had an interview?
That's amazing, congratulations!! Did they ask the kind of questions you'd expected or was it more like a chat?

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back