Question about applying as freshman to undergrad

half a MILLION dollars
This x1000. That's an insane amount of debt. That's a house. Or 2 or 3 or 5 depending on where you live. And with a house at least you can sell it to pay off the loans. There's no way to get out of student loan debt.

There are other ways to break into the business if that's your end goal.

Last edited:
Okay, but what do you need 90s for in undergrad??? If your main goal is to then do an mfa in screenwriting, especially. We know from this site's app trackers and info that people with barely 70 got into USC's mfa program.

And I second @Septopus7 on this USC idealization. I did it, sep did it, many others on this forumn do it - what voodoo magic does USC posess that beats every other program in the world? And why is that not reflected in the successful writer-director-filmmakers working and winning awards now?

If you have amazing stories to tell already then perhaps you truly don't need a ba at all - but I'd stiiil recommend doing a 1 yr or 2 yr certificate in Canada in the meantime - and then it's easier to apply for the mfa afterwards, I know for a fact that certain unis offer these exceptions when you're a mature student. Sure apply for USC's BA this year but also apply for some options that will get you to the MFA track ASAP - call advisors, call the school - I got Fido's $7 add on that makes calls to the US 1cent/minute (nosponsor lol). Call them and ask for your options - how to get to an MFA quicker because getting a BA then MFA in film is not something people straight outta high school seem to want to do - and you already said you feel like you're late to the game.

It's so much money as an international student. What if you can't financially afford an mfa after? Is a BA your endgoal??

Please take care.

I'm sorry if I may not have been clear, but I want BFA and MFA in production. You will have to excuse my communication skills for now because I hadn't talked to anyone for several months until last month...

It's true that only chosen few from Harvard graduates get to become presidents, CEOs, etc. And I don't expect my degree to get studios lined up to approve my projects. I know it's the reels that matter. But like I said, it is my desire to be exposed to the industry through alumni nights, intern programs, etc. I know Hollywood is a small community, and every exposure will help. Well, at least that is my reasoning at the moment. On a deeper personal level, I just want to start all over. Yeah, it is a very simpleton mindset. I just want to prove I've always been good enough for BFA production at USC.

I will be applying in 2020. I can't apply this year because I am dealing with mental and psychological issues. I have to rebuild myself first before going back to school

Again thanks for your advice. It is really helpful

There are other ways to break into the business if that's your end goal.

Yes, filmmaking is not like any other profession. Many call it the glorified blue collar jobs. On the sets, there always was a constant debate on whether film school is truly worth it.

It is true that film school is not required to make a feature. All I have to do is raise the money. I made movies of various lengths before. But one thing I always PAINFULLY learn is that I don't make movies alone. I need access to talents and dedication. I need people who are on the same page as me. No matter how many movies I make, my movies will only be as good as the crew I hire. These movies will not get me noticed to get big projects approved.

I would like to know if there are faster (also safe) ways to have a shot at becoming a "hollywood director." I do have the money for BFA and MFA education at USC. Should I go to school to build connection and work my way up the career ladder? Or should I make a feature film next year? Both is a huge gamble, but making a feature film is even a bigger one. If that movie doesn't get me anywhere, I lose everything.

I can do a short program here in Toronto like BuddernScotch mentioned. I will just learn how to make movies professionally, but I won't be able to build much connection.

Well, that is my reasoning for now. I could be wrong because, well, I am the one going through psychological issues now lol.

Hey @CineMike, I didn't exactly have the same predicament as you, but I have experience as an undergraduate transfer and will be going to grad immediately after undergrad this Fall, so I hope this might add a different perspective!

I transferred two years into my undergrad program (so I was 20 when I started at NYU). Although I was only two years older than the rest of (most of) my classmates, I definitely felt there was a barrier between us and it made it harder to make friends and connections. I don't want to completely dissuade you from trying, but being 10+ years older than the rest of the students should be something to keep in mind. I only had a two year difference and felt like we had nothing in common (I am also Canadian on top of that). So, if you want to transfer for the sake of connections, keep in mind it may be more difficult than you are expecting. Most of your cohort will be 18 and fresh out of living at home, it will be a very different dynamic.

But if that's something that doesn't bother you, that's totally fair!

Another thing to keep in mind is it is VERY VERY unlikely that universities like USC, NYU and UCLA will accept students into their film MFAs if they already completed the film BFA at that same university. I know this because I just went through that entire process at NYU. Not to say it's am immediate rejection, but every faculty member I have spoken with this year has advised me it isn't a good idea and a waste of time. All this to say, is if USC MFA is your ultimate goal, I would recommend trying to get your BFA elsewhere first. Imagine completing your BFA at USC, defying all the odds of getting in, only to find out "oh sorry, the MFA is looking for students who didn't complete the BFA program here."

There are many community colleges and liberal arts programs that can give you filmmaking experience, and this can set you apart from other applicants. Schools like USC want a diverse group of students coming from all backgrounds, so you can try to use this to your advantage.

That being said, everyone's journey is different and it's ultimately up to you to pursue what you think feels best for YOU! Just wanted to offer some insight I wish I had had a few years ago when I began the transfer process!

(one other note, as international students, universities will say there are job opportunities on campus for you but when I got there they said they were reserved for work study students - something you can only be if you are American - so I have been unable to work here and didn't expect that. again, doesn't happen to everyone but this is something I wish I had known 3 years ago)

Good luck!!!!!

Hey @CineMike, I didn't exactly have the same predicament as you, but I have experience as an undergraduate transfer and will be going to grad immediately after undergrad this Fall, so I hope this might add a different perspective!

I transferred two years into my undergrad program (so I was 20 when I started at NYU). Although I was only two years older than the rest of (most of) my classmates, I definitely felt there was a barrier between us and it made it harder to make friends and connections. I don't want to completely dissuade you from trying, but being 10+ years older than the rest of the students should be something to keep in mind. I only had a two year difference and felt like we had nothing in common (I am also Canadian on top of that). So, if you want to transfer for the sake of connections, keep in mind it may be more difficult than you are expecting. Most of your cohort will be 18 and fresh out of living at home, it will be a very different dynamic.

But if that's something that doesn't bother you, that's totally fair!

Another thing to keep in mind is it is VERY VERY unlikely that universities like USC, NYU and UCLA will accept students into their film MFAs if they already completed the film BFA at that same university. I know this because I just went through that entire process at NYU. Not to say it's am immediate rejection, but every faculty member I have spoken with this year has advised me it isn't a good idea and a waste of time. All this to say, is if USC MFA is your ultimate goal, I would recommend trying to get your BFA elsewhere first. Imagine completing your BFA at USC, defying all the odds of getting in, only to find out "oh sorry, the MFA is looking for students who didn't complete the BFA program here."

There are many community colleges and liberal arts programs that can give you filmmaking experience, and this can set you apart from other applicants. Schools like USC want a diverse group of students coming from all backgrounds, so you can try to use this to your advantage.

That being said, everyone's journey is different and it's ultimately up to you to pursue what you think feels best for YOU! Just wanted to offer some insight I wish I had had a few years ago when I began the transfer process!

(one other note, as international students, universities will say there are job opportunities on campus for you but when I got there they said they were reserved for work study students - something you can only be if you are American - so I have been unable to work here and didn't expect that. again, doesn't happen to everyone but this is something I wish I had known 3 years ago)

Good luck!!!!!

Thanks you for your insight.

Yes I am definitely prepared for that "barrier."

However.... Difficulty of applying for grad school at the same university where undergrad is completed is news to me. Engineering students tend to earn masters and/or phd's at same universities very often. Must be engineering thing....

Thanks so much for your advices. I really appreciate it

Thanks you for your insight.

Yes I am definitely prepared for that "barrier."

However.... Difficulty of applying for grad school at the same university where undergrad is completed is news to me. Engineering students tend to earn masters and/or phd's at same universities very often. Must be engineering thing....

Thanks so much for your advices. I really appreciate it
Every discipline is different, but I've had faculty is a wide range of departments say they think of it as "incestuous" and don't recommend it for the student or the program. I've heard this for both creative and academic (aka film studies, history etc) programs, but I'm sure engineering and math etc are different because that is a lot less subjective haha

i mean, I applied anyways regardless of what they said so I totally get if you do too haha!

Every discipline is different, but I've had faculty is a wide range of departments say they think of it as "incestuous" and don't recommend it for the student or the program. I've heard this for both creative and academic (aka film studies, history etc) programs, but I'm sure engineering and math etc are different because that is a lot less subjective haha

i mean, I applied anyways regardless of what they said so I totally get if you do too haha!

I heard that in my undergrad too. Never really understood why a ba and ma at the same institution was frowed upon though

I have some experience in this—the whole “follow a practical path until you just can’t anymore” thing.

It took me 13 years to graduate with my Bachelors because I initially was trying to make my parents happy. That didn’t go well for me. So I get where you’re coming from. When I finally admitted to myself that I really wanted to go to film school, I enrolled in Southern New Hampshire’s online Creative Writing program to finish my Bachelors. And then I applied to MFA programs, but I was so afraid that my “online BA” was going to be a strike against me.

USC was my number one choice, but during my information sessions I started to actually fall in love with an entirely different school and program (Chapman). I got in and that’s where I’m going in the fall. So finding a different path to your bachelors might be something to consider. And a film school MFA could still be in the cards afterwards.

Last edited:
Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back