USC Film/TV Production MFA Media Sample - Existing project or brand new one?

pcman

I can’t exactly tell what’s expected for the Media Sample for the USC MFA Film and TV application - do we have to make a brand new original video for the purpose of applying to USC, or can we use a video we’ve already made in the past?

I would prefer to submit a project I worked on two years ago, especially because I think it most accurately shows my ability (haven’t been able to direct many actors since the pandemic), but I’m wondering if this would disqualify me.

The wording of the prompt is this:
Create a brief narrative video in which you had a major creative role. The video can be live-action or animation, fiction or documentary, but it should reflect your aesthetic tastes and intellectual and emotional interests. The video must be no longer than five minutes.

Create a brief narrative video in which you had a major creative role
There's two competing tenses there.... "Create" a verb implying something new yet "had" implying the past.

I think it would probably be fine to submit something old. How would they know?

HOWEVER... I think this is an opportunity to challenge yourself and get your directing and screenwriting skills back in action and create something new. You may surprise yourself and create something awesome when your back is against the wall as often happens.

You can always call and ask.

Check out the USC admissions interview we did too:

How to get Into USC SCA: Advice from an Admissions Committee Member

How to get Into USC SCA: Advice from an Admissions Committee Member

Considered by many to be the best film school in the world, it’s no wonder why the USC School of Cinematic Arts (SCA) is so sought after by prospective undergraduate and graduate students alike. However, the film school’s prestige can often make the application process particularly stressful and...

I can’t exactly tell what’s expected for the Media Sample for the USC MFA Film and TV application - do we have to make a brand new original video for the purpose of applying to USC, or can we use a video we’ve already made in the past?

I would prefer to submit a project I worked on two years ago, especially because I think it most accurately shows my ability (haven’t been able to direct many actors since the pandemic), but I’m wondering if this would disqualify me.

The wording of the prompt is this:
Create a brief narrative video in which you had a major creative role. The video can be live-action or animation, fiction or documentary, but it should reflect your aesthetic tastes and intellectual and emotional interests. The video must be no longer than five minutes.
I have a friend who was accepted with his first application and he submitted a project he'd made two years prior. he was the writer/director of that project. (sorry for the way-past-the-deadline reply; hopefully, this helps future applicants)

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back