USC SCA Writing for Screen and Television MFA Fall 2024

Didn't get any reply, but that's ok. I have adjusted myself and realized the only thing left to do is doing my own business then waiting. Try to learn Unity Engine by myself now, haha.

I also want to share some true feelings at there since we all have gone through this soooo long. I checked my application portfolio for USC yesterday and it surprised me how messy my character sketch is! There are even special buttons that appear in the PDF for no apparent reason, and even cover my text, which made me laugh so hard. It really reminded me of those scary days of submitting before the deadline, scrambling and juggling the English language test (I’m an international stu). So, no matter what the result is, at least I challenged myself and completed it in the process of applying alone, which is precious and important to me.

Although the possibility of getting admitted is becoming lower and lower, I would not give up until the rejection letter finds me, haha. ;)

Everyone ready for the rejections to start landing? 🫠🙃

Last edited:
Everyone ready for the rejections to start landing? 🫠🙃
Excited Bob Esponja GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

I’m ready!

Just wanted to let everyone know that it's now much easier to log multiple applications to the site as you can now COPY a previously logged application. :)

If you haven't logged your applications yet please do. Hopefully, now it won't be as much of a chore It's a HUGE help to people. :)

Via the USC Admissions regarding if waitlisted students can attend admitted student events:

"
The event is only for those who were either admitted, or were waitlisted for the Film & TV Production major. The reason for this, is that if those students do not come off of the waitlist for the Fall, they are guaranteed admission to the spring.

We welcome you to let us know if you have any questions, as we are more than happy to help! 🙂"

Via the USC Admissions regarding if waitlisted students can attend admitted student events:

"
The event is only for those who were either admitted, or were waitlisted for the Film & TV Production major. The reason for this, is that if those students do not come off of the waitlist for the Fall, they are guaranteed admission to the spring.

We welcome you to let us know if you have any questions, as we are more than happy to help! 🙂"
Ah, so no screenwriters, period? I guess that makes sense.

Sorry, I didn't post when this happened but I was accepted to USC for Writing for Film/Television MFA on 2/22. Good luck all!

Side note, I've actually found their website and admin infrastructure a little opaque and I'm having trouble getting answers to things. One thing I would really like to be able to do is to talk to some current students about the program and life in general in LA as it relates to the program. If anybody is in or knows anybody friendly in the program who would be down for a chat, let me know!

Sorry, I didn't post when this happened but I was accepted to USC for Writing for Film/Television MFA on 2/22. Good luck all!

Side note, I've actually found their website and admin infrastructure a little opaque and I'm having trouble getting answers to things. One thing I would really like to be able to do is to talk to some current students about the program and life in general in LA as it relates to the program. If anybody is in or knows anybody friendly in the program who would be down for a chat, let me know!
Just admitted too. I went to one of their information sessions back in September, and a good friend is an alum. What do you want to know?

Here's a snippet from one of my posts back when I went to an info session that might be helpful.

"Most classes happen in the evening because so many instructors still work 9 to 5s in the industry. You must complete 44 credits to graduate with an MFA, 34 of which come from required coursework. Your first-year schedule has a lot of classes restricted specifically to your division so you can make a real dent in that total. You have one elective per semester available until year two. But check the writing program design for yourself to be certain about that. Electives can be taken in another division of SCA or somewhere else in the university.

In terms of education outcomes, for the Writing for Screen and Television MFA program, by the time you graduate, it's expected that you'll have 2 to 3 feature scripts, either a one-hour drama spec or a 30-minute comedy spec, and 2 to 3 original pilots. So a decent-sized portfolio of samples."

Also, there's a current student on this thread who volunteered to answer questions. You could also try posting in the private forum to get answers.

DM me :) you can also email the division

When is the admitted students event?

Got my decision letter yesterday. Be sure to check your you.usc.edu portal and see if you got yours.
Hi, how do I know I got in based on the you.usc.portal? It’s just a pic of the campus and request a tour but ive gotten no additional info accept a request from them to fill out financial aid. This was for the screenwriting program, right?

Hi, how do I know I got in based on the you.usc.portal? It’s just a pic of the campus and request a tour but ive gotten no additional info accept a request from them to fill out financial aid. This was for the screenwriting program, right?
Does it give you this option? You can look under "Decision Status" on the left of the page.
1710354039177.png

Yes I believe they will send you an email when there is an update to check in the portal. And when you go in the portal, then there will be a decision about the screenwriting program

Does it give you this option? You can look under "Decision Status" on the left of the page.View attachment 3808
Hello, please disregard my messages, I did not realize this this thread was for screenwriting MFA, I applied for the BFA which wont be hearing about decisions for a few weeks. Thank God, lol. Sorry everyone but thank you for your fast responses and assistance you guys are truly amazing :)

Hello, please disregard my messages, I did not realize this this thread was for screenwriting MFA, I applied for the BFA which wont be hearing about decisions for a few weeks. Thank God, lol. Sorry everyone but thank you for your fast responses and assistance you guys are truly amazing :)
Ahhh no worries! Good luck on your application! x

Undergrad thread is here:

Good luck!

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back