Thanks for starting this thread! Never too early. :)

For those that haven't applied yet here's our guide to applying to UCLA film school which we just wrote:

UCLA Film School: How to Apply for 2024, Acceptance Rate, and What To Expect as a UCLA TFT Student

UCLA Film School: How to Apply for 2024, Acceptance Rate, and What To Expect as a UCLA TFT Student

As the only film school nationwide where theater, film, television, and digital media studies are concentrated within a single professional school, University of California Los Angeles School of Theater, Film and Television combines rigorous academic coursework with hands-on training in...

Deadline is November 1, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. PST​

Here's our current stats for the program:

TONS of really cool and useful info in the above link.

Be sure to log your application in our database once you apply so we can improve our data.

Here are all the UCLA Screenwriting applications in our database.

Here's last years threads for some "light reading" to see how it's gone for everyone in the past:

Tons of great info in those threads too.

Good luck everyone!! :)

Last edited:
I know it's super early, but per request, I'm starting this thread. Wishing everyone the best of luck with their applications!
Thanks for starting this thread and logging your application. How did you find the application went for you? Feeling good about it?

Has anyone heard anything back from UCLA at all? I've heard absolutely nothing since the deadline and would love to gauge the communication with other applicants

Just merged our UCLA pages into one:

UCLA School of Theater, Film and Television (TFT)

UCLA School of Theater, Film and Television (TFT)

UCLA School of Theater, Film & Television teaches film from a theoretical and technical perspective. In 2021, TheWrap ranked UCLA TFT no. 8 in its annual list of the top 50 film schools. And in 2022, U.S. News & World Report named UCLA the no. 1 public university for the sixth consecutive year...

You can still filter by program:

Has anyone heard anything back from UCLA at all? I've heard absolutely nothing since the deadline and would love to gauge the communication with other applicants
Hi! I got an email for the interview this past friday but didn't find out till now. I saw someone's post from a couple years back saying to check the spam folder and lord behold, it was there! I almost missed it. So keep an eye on it!

Hi! I got an email for the interview this past friday but didn't find out till now. I saw someone's post from a couple years back saying to check the spam folder and lord behold, it was there! I almost missed it. So keep an eye on it!
Thank you so much for the heads up. I got one last Friday, too, and never would've thought to check Spam. Good luck with your interview!

Awesome congrats! When's the interview?

Don't forget to log your application in our database to help with our data for the school. It's very helpful for other applicants. :)

Hi! I apologize for the late reply, I just had my interview fifteen minutes ago. Good luck to everyone!
Awesome congrats! When's the interview?

Don't forget to log your application in our database to help with our data for the school. It's very helpful for other applicants. :)

Hi! I apologize for the late reply, I just had my interview fifteen minutes ago. Good luck to everyone!
Yay! Good luck, I hope it went well! I’ve got my interview in about two hours.

Super weird for me, I never received an email inviting me to interview, but then received a follow-up one reminding me to book a slot! It’s super late over here, my interview is going to be about 10:30 - 11pm at night my time so I’m a bit tired lol

I hope your interview went well!

Just had my interview! I really enjoyed it and loved learning more about the programme, it sounds so exciting! It was also absolutely lovely to be able to talk to the faculty (Phyllis Nagy is such an inspiration to me so it was such a 'meeting my idol' moment!). Would love to know what everyone else's experiences with their interviews have been :)

Just had my interview! I really enjoyed it and loved learning more about the programme, it sounds so exciting! It was also absolutely lovely to be able to talk to the faculty (Phyllis Nagy is such an inspiration to me so it was such a 'meeting my idol' moment!). Would love to know what everyone else's experiences with their interviews have been :)
OMG you got to talk to Phyllis Nagy?!?!? That's insanely cool!!!!

Does anyone know when decisions will start rolling at and if its by mail or email? I had my interview last week but almost missed it because the emails kept going to spam so I want to make sure I don't miss anything haha

Does anyone know when decisions will start rolling at and if its by mail or email? I had my interview last week but almost missed it because the emails kept going to spam so I want to make sure I don't miss anything haha
Interviewed with Phyllis and Jill last Friday. They told me decisions would come out March 1.

Hi everyone! I know some of us were told decisions would be out around 1st March but I’ve seen at least one other person receive a decision now after the interview - so has anyone else heard anything? I’m nervous as I never received an email about an interview in the first place, just a follow up asking why I hadn’t booked an interview, so I’m curious to see if anyone else has heard!

Hi everyone! I know some of us were told decisions would be out around 1st March but I’ve seen at least one other person receive a decision now after the interview - so has anyone else heard anything? I’m nervous as I never received an email about an interview in the first place, just a follow up asking why I hadn’t booked an interview, so I’m curious to see if anyone else has heard!
I thought you said you had an interview in the earlier thread?

I thought you said you had an interview in the earlier thread?
Oh I did! Basically I never received the initial email inviting me to interview when they all got sent out - it wasn’t in my junk or anything, I just never got it. A few days later after everyone else had received one I got a an email out of the blue ‘reminding’ me to book an interview slot because I hadn’t done it yet… but I never received the initial email, which was super weird. So I have had my interview and that’s why I was wondering if people had heard because my emails are apparently not reliable :)

Oh I did! Basically I never received the initial email inviting me to interview when they all got sent out - it wasn’t in my junk or anything, I just never got it. A few days later after everyone else had received one I got a an email out of the blue ‘reminding’ me to book an interview slot because I hadn’t done it yet… but I never received the initial email, which was super weird. So I have had my interview and that’s why I was wondering if people had heard because my emails are apparently not reliable :)
Got ya! I haven't heard anything but I will get back to you when I do. Good luck to you!!

Hi. Person who was told March 1 here. My situation is a bit unique from most, I think. First off, my admission denial letter did not come from TFT. It came from UCLA's Diversity, Inclusion, and Admission Department. Jill and Phyllis explained this to me during my interview. They pick who they want based on the interviews and everything else, then they send that list over to DIA for review. Some people will be removed because of wider university policies. In my case, I suspect it was my undergrad GPA, even though I graduated over 20 years ago and already have another graduate degree from Columbia. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I failed that next step of the process.

Also, DIA posted my decision notice to my UCLA Application portal. It did not come to my email. Just check your application portal about your status

Last edited:
Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back