I want to get my Master's at USC. What should I do for my Bachelor's?

TheBestUsername

I recently heard from a USC SCA grad that the Film Production administration generally doesn't admit people who did undergrad film into the program. I have no idea if this is true, but if it is then that changes my plans a good bit. Can anyone speak to this? What does the grad program look for here? Why wouldn't they want to admit people who studied film already?

And if this is true, what degrees should I think about for my bachelors and where should I go to get them? Film Studies? Creative Writing?

Any help is appreciated. This college stuff is so confusing!

I have actually heard this before...
The only exception I heard is that it is often overlooked when going to grad school for a more focused field like screenwriting.

For undergrad... I would suggest studying something completely different that you are also interested in. Filmmaking is about telling stories and what better way to learn about different stories to tell than learning about different things. While studying the other thing you're interested in you can hone your filmmaking and storytelling chops on the side.

Film schools prefer that you don't go to film school in understand because a lot of the early coursework is repetitive and they want a blank slate to teach.

Does that help? Please let me know if you have more questions.

I have actually heard this before...
The only exception I heard is that it is often overlooked when going to grad school for a more focused field like screenwriting.

For undergrad... I would suggest studying something completely different that you are also interested in. Filmmaking is about telling stories and what better way to learn about different stories to tell than learning about different things. While studying the other thing you're interested in you can hone your filmmaking and storytelling chops on the side.

Film schools prefer that you don't go to film school in understand because a lot of the early coursework is repetitive and they want a blank slate to teach.

Does that help? Please let me know if you have more questions.

That makes sense. Thanks.

What do you think about flipping these, and doing screenwriting undergrad and film production for grad? I am a fair bit older than most freshmen (24) and have a little bit more life experience from traveling and working. I believe I have stories to tell, but I can see how a school might have their doubts.

What are some other degrees that can be useful in film and look good to administration? I know one person who did their undergrad in film studies and got into USC. History and business are also interests of mine, but I guess I have this fire in my belly and am just anxious and excited to start pursuing film sooner.

Appreciate your help!

Very personal choice, but if you have any plans to pursue PA jobs after your BA, I would suggest production in undergrad. I'd probably suggest production for undergrad overall because you get to experience every aspect of filmmaking that way. Your plans and goals in the industry are going to change over time, I promise, and having that broad knowledge can help shed light on what departments suit you.

I wouldn't plan your undergrad solely around getting an MFA in film. I found that I worked steadily both during and post undergrad and would never 'need' an MFA if I did not have plans to teach at the university level and completely change my industry goals after 7 years in the field.

Remember this, you're planning for a career, not only an education ;) Don't get too wrapped up in the schooling process that you lose sight of the bigger picture.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back