AFI 2019 Screenwriting

Cody Young

Tattoo/Film Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I would hope it’s more of a personal email and not so much of an automated response sent out to everyone. That being said, if it is automated I would imagine it sends out to everyone at the same time. I’m also curious if it might show up on our empower accounts first or later. I’m probably just overthinking this.

Cdemon

I would hope it’s more of a personal email and not so much of an automated response sent out to everyone. That being said, if it is automated I would imagine it sends out to everyone at the same time. I’m also curious if it might show up on our empower accounts first or later. I’m probably just overthinking this.
I hadn't considered that. That would be awesome. Here's to raising my expectations! I was wondering the same thing about empower. I kind of figure it will show up there first, but if they're doing a more personal thing then maybe not. Who knows. Too bad last year's AFI thread wasn't more talkative!

Cody Young

Tattoo/Film Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I hadn't considered that. That would be awesome. Here's to raising my expectations! I was wondering the same thing about empower. I kind of figure it will show up there first, but if they're doing a more personal thing then maybe not. Who knows. Too bad last year's AFI thread wasn't more talkative!
I really wish last years thread was at least half as active and I can't help but desire time stamps on when people posted their decision notifications. In the grand scheme of things, a few hours is so minuscule, but I'm starting to feel so stir crazy waiting for a decision lol

Cdemon

I really wish last years thread was at least half as active and I can't help but desire time stamps on when people posted their decision notifications. In the grand scheme of things, a few hours is so minuscule, but I'm starting to feel so stir crazy waiting for a decision lol
I totally hear you. I want time stamps too - I def think when we hear we should write time, date and all. It's just a few hours difference, but it also helps show if I should start maniacally checking at 9 am or 4pm, and that's a pretty big difference in how my day/stress goes!
I also started wondering if they'll call for accepted students and then send an email. I know that's a thing with some programs, though it doesn't sound like that from last year's thread. At least that much we have!

Cody Young

Tattoo/Film Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I totally hear you. I want time stamps too - I def think when we hear we should write time, date and all. It's just a few hours difference, but it also helps show if I should start maniacally checking at 9 am or 4pm, and that's a pretty big difference in how my day/stress goes!
I also started wondering if they'll call for accepted students and then send an email. I know that's a thing with some programs, though it doesn't sound like that from last year's thread. At least that much we have!
Not a bad idea at all. Might be of some help to the members this year and probably a great deal of help to anyone else who applies next year.

WriterK90

Supporting Member
Not a bad idea at all. Might be of some help to the members this year and probably a great deal of help to anyone else who applies next year.
I'm also adding the time and time zone of decisions in my applications which also will help.

alanray

That's a great idea! I'm gonna put a timestamp on my decision tmw. I'm probably just gonna wait for an email to come in. I hope it's sooner rather than later.

Cdemon

That's a great idea! I'm gonna put a timestamp on my decision tmw. I'm probably just gonna wait for an email to come in. I hope it's sooner rather than later.
That’s probably the way to go. Though I imagine I’ll check at least a few times throughout the day! :)

Dean

Supporting Member
@Dean

First of all, thanks for sharing! It really benefits to see different perspectives. I've got to ask, though, why did you apply two years in a row? I mean, you do sound critical of a quite a few aspects of studying at Dramatic Writing.

By the way, it's my second attempt, too. I got virtually ignored in four schools the first time around. I know how crushing it feels, but hey — the protagonist must go through the ordeal and so on in order to ultimately prevail ;-)
Sorry I stayed away from this forum for a few days. I want to apologize for my little rant, did not want to offend anyone and obvious my view was biased. As I said, I think NYU has great teacher and they really have an eye for great ideas and scripts and they embody great working ethics (they always tell you: Write! Write! Write! I have nothing against their teaching but I was just a little tried of the bleak tales the students tend to make there. I mentioned this point to Anna Thomas and Michael Urban as well, that students in the East Coast tend to make more tales about family or social tradegies, and they agreed with me. The movies they make are not the type that I would take my girlfriend to watch on a date night. Maybe writing them was a cathartic experience for them and I respect that. I just wish people in the film schools make more entertaining films because this industry is called entertainment for a reason.

mikeshok

Sorry I stayed away from this forum for a few days. I want to apologize for my little rant, did not want to offend anyone and obvious my view was biased. As I said, I think NYU has great teacher and they really have an eye for great ideas and scripts and they embody great working ethics (they always tell you: Write! Write! Write! I have nothing against their teaching but I was just a little tried of the bleak tales the students tend to make there. I mentioned this point to Anna Thomas and Michael Urban as well, that students in the East Coast tend to make more tales about family or social tradegies, and they agreed with me. The movies they make are not the type that I would take my girlfriend to watch on a date night. Maybe writing them was a cathartic experience for them and I respect that. I just wish people in the film schools make more entertaining films because this industry is called entertainment for a reason.
East coast 'til the casket drops

Praying for everyone's success.

hey
so not to freak anyone out but I checked my portal and there's no decision but my financial aid had been updated with an award year. Does anyone else have this

Cody Young

Tattoo/Film Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Just got my waitlist notification from AFI, not great news but not complete terrible either. email received at 12:15 PM EST

A waitlist ins't a denial so congratulations are still in order @Cody Young

Septopus7

Staff member
Supporting Member
Still nothing on my end yet, so I guess that shows they don't just batch send every single decision all at the same time. Unless my email is just slow.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews