Chapman MFA Screenwriting Fall 2020

Graduate Deadline:
December 1, 2019

In order to apply to the Screenwriting graduate program, you must submit the required application materials, as well as a Creative Supplement. The application will go live in July, and more instructions on the application process will be updated on our website soon.

Application:

• Statement of Intent
  • Resume
  • 2 letters of recommendation
  • Creative Supplement
Other Required Materials:

• Official copy of your undergraduate transcript from your degree granting institution
No additional information should be sent to Dodge College or the Office of Admissions outside of what is required on the application. Any outside work sent to either office will not be reviewed as part of the admission process.

Please note that you may only submit Creative Supplement materials for your 1st choice major selected on the application. No other materials will be reviewed as part of the application process.

The requirements below are for students applying for Fall 2020

1. Creative Portfolio List
Upload a one (1) to two (2) page list of activities that demonstrates your potential in your area of chosen specialization focusing on creative accomplishments. Include in this list specific items that you could submit, if requested, to Dodge College of Film and Media Arts. Each listing should include a brief description of the work and your role in its creation.

Example of Portfolio listing (use this format):

Title: Roger's Car
Position: Writer/Director
16 minutes, Video 2005. Valley College
Log line: Unusual circumstance allows a sixteen-year-old to get his first car. I wrote this story for a creative writing class and produced the film with the help of my friends.

2. Transformational Moment Essay
Submit a two (2) page essay describing a transformational moment in your life that fundamentally changed you as a person. Explain how you gained wisdom and greater understanding of the human condition as a result of this experience. Essays should be typed, single-spaced, 12 pt. Times New Roman font, one-inch margins on all sides.

3. Narrative Scene
In no more than three (3) pages write a compelling dramatic scene based on this scenario: Two people’s car breaks down which leads to a change in their relationship. This may be written in short story or screenplay format. We are looking for the strength in your visual storytelling ability; there is no preference in format.

4. Screenplay
Screenwriting applicants are required to submit either a short film or feature length screenplay written by you without the collaboration of others. Screenplays should be submitted in standard screenplay format, as a PDF or Word document. Short film screenplays should be approximately 20-25 pages in length, and feature length screenplays should be about 115-120 pages. Please make sure that your screenplay includes your name, title of screenplay, and year your screenplay was completed.

UGH. I spent approximately 6 draft rewrites to get this feature down to 112 pages (also planning to submit it to Nicholl 2020). Now I need to add three pages for this application? Chapman, I hate you.

Graduate Deadline:
December 1, 2019

4. Screenplay
Screenwriting applicants are required to submit either a short film or feature length screenplay written by you without the collaboration of others. Screenplays should be submitted in standard screenplay format, as a PDF or Word document. Short film screenplays should be approximately 20-25 pages in length, and feature length screenplays should be about 115-120 pages. Please make sure that your screenplay includes your name, title of screenplay, and year your screenplay was completed.

UGH. I spent approximately 6 draft rewrites to get this feature down to 112 pages (also planning to submit it to Nicholl 2020). Now I need to add three pages for this application? Chapman, I hate you.
It does say "about" so maybe it's not a minimum?

When editing did you cut anything out that you miss?

No, I don't think so. I'm pretty ruthless on the kill your darlings aspect of editing. :) But I do keep a separate Final Draft file of all scenes/dialogue/action lines that I cut. (Nerd, party of me...) So there might be something I can find to add back in if needed!

No, I don't think so. I'm pretty ruthless on the kill your darlings aspect of editing. :) But I do keep a separate Final Draft file of all scenes/dialogue/action lines that I cut. (Nerd, party of me...) So there might be something I can find to add back in if needed!

What did they tell you regarding this? Did you end up adding more, or keeping it at 112?

What did they tell you regarding this? Did you end up adding more, or keeping it at 112?

They said it's an approximate number, but suggested I get as close to 115 as possible. I'm at 114 now and I think that's as far as I can take it, honestly, without feeling like I'm padding for page count. I'm actually looking at it right now, trying to decide if I can add back one more scene to tip it over into just barely 115. Decisions are hard, yo. I feel a bit like Chidi at the moment!

i mean i don't think they'll reprimand me for it...i had gone to submit it at 11:59 and then i got logged out and by the time i logged in and reuploaded the material it was 12:01 and i emailed them so fingers crossed i won't be in trouble and i know
"why did u wait till the last minute?" everyone has their reason and mine was personal reasons i was editing all day today and still got swamped with my personal life :( im feeling so much angst

and my application status says everything was received! but the two items i uploaded at 12:01am say it was received on 12/2/2019 so idk if that will affect my chances or not

i mean i don't think they'll reprimand me for it...i had gone to submit it at 11:59 and then i got logged out and by the time i logged in and reuploaded the material it was 12:01 and i emailed them so fingers crossed i won't be in trouble and i know
"why did u wait till the last minute?" everyone has their reason and mine was personal reasons i was editing all day today and still got swamped with my personal life :( im feeling so much angst

and my application status says everything was received! but the two items i uploaded at 12:01am say it was received on 12/2/2019 so idk if that will affect my chances or not
It's okay! Apparently because of the holiday weekend they extended Dec 1 deadlines to today, Dec 2! Hope that helps as I was in pretty much the same situation

I'm so sorry, but as another poster said I think you'll be all good because of the weekend. That angst is so tough to deal with. My application to UCLA produced a similar feeling. The grad admissions representative from Chapman, the one listed on the application, will respond to you right away if you send them an e-mail and ask. I've asked mine like three questions and she was always really nice. They seem to be incredibly responsive. The grad admissions office will even reply on Twitter if you ask them something on there. I've gotten very good vibes from their office, and based on what was posted elsewhere here I really think you are 100% okay

I'm so sorry, but as another poster said I think you'll be all good because of the weekend. That angst is so tough to deal with. My application to UCLA produced a similar feeling. The grad admissions representative from Chapman, the one listed on the application, will respond to you right away if you send them an e-mail and ask. I've asked mine like three questions and she was always really nice. They seem to be incredibly responsive. The grad admissions office will even reply on Twitter if you ask them something on there. I've gotten very good vibes from their office, and based on what was posted elsewhere here I really think you are 100% okay
thank u for this reassurance i’m gonna cry bc they said i’m in the clear hehehe

also quick q...does chapman have interview rounds for the screenwriting program? and if so when do they start notifying?

I saw on last year's thread that they do interviews, but I don't remember the time line. When I get home I will check what the exact dates were. I believe it was in January but I could be wrong. I also think they let some people in without interviews.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back