Cost of school (1 Viewer)

sophiedog

So Columbia just sent out an email to admitted students, with updated tuition info, etc.
Here's the list...

Tuition: $42,752
Health Insurance/Services: $3,000
University Facilities Fee: $700
Arts Resource Fee: $120
Student Activity Fee: $30
International Student Fee: $50 (per semester)
Transcript Fee: $95 (one-time charge)
Course or lab fees: Vary depending on registration and courses
Late registration fee: $50, if within late registration period
Late registration fee: $100, if after late registration period
Late Payment fee: $150, plus a percentage of the remaining balance

Room & Board (estimated): $14,850 (9 months)
Commuting: $1,000
Personal Expenses: $3,375
Books: $2,000
Loan Origination Fees: $185

Plus film costs.
Does anyone else think this is a little insane? How are you going to pay for it, especially international students?
For me being Canadian tuition alone would be over $50,000 and I can't get any financial aid!

tabbycat

wow, I thought stuff was expensive here :)

Hmm looks like AFI doesn't offer health insurance, it's not in their tuition and fees breakdown.

I can't for the life of me find Chapman's tuition info on their website. Though I did hear they offer health insurance, all I was told is it's "expensive" but it can't be more than I was paying. Well, it can.

Last edited by a moderator:

Suzako

Yeah, having michigan health insurance in new york has not been helpful. Weirdly I'm looking forward to having New York health insurance (from NYU or Columbia) because at least it'd be like, designed to be used in New York and not in Michigan (thanks, work!)

d_lefeb

OKay, yes it's expensive, but let me point out a few things:

Books $2000 = nada. I have spent maybe 300 and I didn't really have to buy these books. trust me, won't be that pricey.

Room and board: They have nearly $15 000 for 9 months which translates as over 1600 a month which is ridiculous. Most people I know pay less than 1000 a month. You are international too which means you are very likely to get University Apartment Housing, which is usually affordable.

Loan origination fees: Wont apply to international students.

Fim costs: can be minimal. I have hardly paid anything for my projects. This summer will be different, I will grant you that.

Get money from the Canadian government, sophiedog! I got 20 000 from Quebec!

Suzako

Yep, it mentioned it in my acceptance package. There was a separate sheet about it? I'll double check the info when I get home, but I remember feeling very relieved to see that, haha.

TDK120

Suzako...

I'm looking through my NYU acceptance stuff. The only thing I see regarding health insurance is that every student must have it and that a plan is available through NYU. Following the web address they give, it looks like comprehensive coverage is $2170/year -- or it was last year, anyway.

But maybe you got health insurance as part of your award. Sometimes it's added on to scholarships. If so, that's a nice bonus!

sophiedog

Hey d, did you get any grants from Quebec or was that all in loans? I'm researching my province info, there aren't many grants and the deadlines were all Feb 1, loans so far I've found info that says the max you can get is $11,000 a year for grad school unless you are in med school, but I'm still looking...

psufilmgirl

Jayimess-

I just read your post about going for what you want and not caring if you're broke the rest of your life, as long as you're doing what you want, and I'm totally with you on that.

My friends and family have all asked me if I can go somewhere closer to home, which is PA, and my line every time is: if I'm going to take on more debt for grad school for film, I want it to be USC. Plus, I hate east coast weather.

My mom has had the same job for 40 years and is miserable every single day of her life, but financially we are not poor, nor are we well off. She always wanted to go back to school and my dad told her they would find the money and just go, and she took what I think is the easy way out.

I'd rather work for pennies 18 hours a day on a film set than work 9-5 Monday to Friday for 100K a year.

So, for me, it a no brainer: take the federal loans and take out loans for rent and my car payment and JUST DO IT.

That is, when I get in :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Add your film school application to our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Add Application…

Student Films Made at Film Programs

A248
Views
Reaction score
An artist invites an especially harsh critic to her studio for an exclusive preview of her latest work.
Film Program
Loyola Marymount University
Course
PROD 550
Film Type
Assignment
Genre
Horror
Duration/Running Time
6:01
Film Completion
May 1, 2019
A248
Views
Reaction score
In the midst of a global pandemic, a very paranoid vampire orders contactless food delivery.
Film Program
Course
PROD 685
Film Type
Assignment
Genre
Comedy
Duration/Running Time
1:24
Film Completion
Aug 1, 2020
A248
Views
Reaction score
An exploration of the history and modern day importance of postcards.
Film Program
Course
PROD 670
Film Type
Thesis Film
Genre
Documentary
Duration/Running Time
17:31
Film Completion
May 1, 2021

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Add your own Application to our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications