AFI 2019 Screenwriting

Cdemon

Anyone have any figures on how likely you are to be asked to return to AFI’s second year or not?

? What do you mean? Does AFI kick people out of the program after a year?
I believe they review the work you’ve done in the first year, and determine off of that if you’re invited back to the second year.

The way I understand it is if you really mess up, such as just not attending classes, you’re not gonna get invited back. I’m not sure though.

Cdemon

? What do you mean? Does AFI kick people out of the program after a year?
I think it’s like what @Isabellagrcia said in that it’s only if you really mess up- BUT- I didn’t ask in my interview and I meant to so I wanted to check in and see if anyone else had. But yes, technically they have the right to review your work and invite you back or not.

Septopus7

Staff member
Supporting Member
I think it’s like what @Isabellagrcia said in that it’s only if you really mess up- BUT- I didn’t ask in my interview and I meant to so I wanted to check in and see if anyone else had. But yes, technically they have the right to review your work and invite you back or not.
I mean, I imagine it's no different than how most grad schools do it -- being institutions, though, they can just fail and/or expel you if you are not up to snuff. it's my understanding that, as a conservatory, the thing doesn't run as a traditional "grade" system, so the yearly review is just their way of basically "passing" or "failing" students. But that's just my understanding and, admittedly, I haven't looked into it much because failure is not an option here, as the kids say*.

*Well, I'm sure SOME kids say that at least.

Last edited:

Cdemon

I mean, I imagine it's no different than how most grad schools do it -- being institutions, though, they can just fail and/or expel you if you are not up to snuff. it's my understanding that, as a conservatory, the thing doesn't run as a traditional "grade" system, so the yearly review is just their way of basically "passing" of "failing" students. But that's just my understanding and, admittedly, I haven't looked into it much because failure is not an option here, as the kids say*.

*Well, I'm sure SOME kids say that at least.
You shall not fail!

Cdemon

I think most people are out of town, but is anyone going to the AFI Conservatory EXPO 2019 this Saturday? If so do you know which screenings you’re attending? I’m going to go but haven’t decided to what exactly yet. I thought there would be sort of a central address and then screenings but it’s more film festival style with screenings in various rooms all day. If anyone is going, it’d be cool to meet up.

Septopus7

Staff member
Supporting Member
I think most people are out of town, but is anyone going to the AFI Conservatory EXPO 2019 this Saturday? If so do you know which screenings you’re attending? I’m going to go but haven’t decided to what exactly yet. I thought there would be sort of a central address and then screenings but it’s more film festival style with screenings in various rooms all day. If anyone is going, it’d be cool to meet up.

Wish I could go, but I already booked my trip for the USC Admitted Student thing, so going both weekends would not at all be feasible. I'll be still checking out campus and possibly sitting in on one of their classes while I'm down next week, though. Let us know how the Expo thing goes though!

Cdemon

Wish I could go, but I already booked my trip for the USC Admitted Student thing, so going both weekends would not at all be feasible. I'll be still checking out campus and possibly sitting in on one of their classes while I'm down next week, though. Let us know how the Expo thing goes though!
Oooh! That’s awesome. I want to ask about sitting in on a class too. Did you just email Jill about that?

Septopus7

Staff member
Supporting Member
Oooh! That’s awesome. I want to ask about sitting in on a class too. Did you just email Jill about that?
Yeah, I emailed her about not being able to attend the Expo but wanting to still tour the school, and she brought it up as a possibility as well.

Chris W

As You Wish
Staff member

Mike_V

Staff member
Awesome. Moderator @Mike_V and I have never met although we've both been in the same office but didn't know it. But maybe not at the same time. :) We'll both try and make it for sure.
yup! I'm in LA. Currently working on a talk show but I have a baby coming soon, so I will be taking a leave from looking for work from June to August. I should be able to make it :)
Just keep me in the loop ^_^

Chris W

As You Wish
Staff member
Hey all! Just giving you all my update, just turned down my spot at AFI, so there should be one opening on the waitlist! Best of luck all! 🥳
Where did you decide on?

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Cal State Northridge (CSUN) - MFA in Screenwriting Program
    3.00 star(s)
    I was accepted to the CSUN MFA program in 2018 and took part in in for a full year; however, I recently decided not to go back and complete the...
    • Anonymous
  • Savannah College of Art and Design (MFA)
    1.00 star(s)
    The school is a complete honeypot, department head Donald.W Moffett has limited film production experience and has not idea how to properly guide...
    • Anonymous
  • Emerson College
    3.00 star(s)
    Emerson opened a lot of doors for me, so I can't dismiss that fact. However, I don't think it was necessary for me to go to Emerson as opposed to...
    • Anonymous
  • NYU - Tisch Kanbar Institute of Film and Television (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    Currently in my third year of my MFA at NYU Tisch Grad Film (writing/directing). I cannot praise this program enough! It exceeded any expectation...
    • Anonymous
  • National Film and Television School (NFTS)
    5.00 star(s)
    I'm currently in my first year of a 2 year MA at the NFTS. I saw these relatively negative reviews about the NFTS before I applied, but I can now...
    • VDW