1. The FilmSchool.org community has been helping people apply to film school since 2002. Log in or Create an Account and get your film school questions answered.
  2. Did you go to film school for undergrad? Please review the school on our Film School review system. (You can review anonymously)
    Dismiss Notice

Graduate Film School for Film & TV Talent Agent?

Discussion in 'Graduate Film School Discussions' started by Alex Reev, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Alex Reev

Alex Reev New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone suggest what will be the best school / program for the want-to-become film & TV talent agent?

I have 4-years bachelor degree in international economics and 10 years of experience in sales, altogether with a strong passion for a film & TV industry. I was evaluating graduate film & TV producing programs in USC, UCLA, Loyola and Chapman - but now I am not sure if producing matches my interests 100%...

Thanks!

2. sharkb8

sharkb8 iAmB84AshRk

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Honestly I think you'd be wasting your money. An MFA is incredibly expensive, and you don't need one to become a talent agent. You're going to come out with an advanced degree, a ton of debt, and no tangible improvement to your job opportunities. I looked up how to become a talent agent, and I didn't see anyone recommending an MFA, since the MFA is meant more for artists to work on and improve their craft.

Here's a few sources suggesting how to break into the Talent Agent industry.
    How to Become a Talent Agent | TheArtCareerProject.com
    How to Become a Talent Agent
    https://www.quora.com/How-difficult...ent-agency-in-Los-Angeles-and-become-an-agent

The top answer on Quora says that an advanced degree would not be beneficial to become a talent agent
    https://www.quora.com/Do-you-need-an-MBA-to-become-a-talent-agent

If you are set on trying to get improved education to help prepare you, perhaps an online course would be an option? It's significantly cheaper, and more specialized in the specific industry you'd be trying to go for.
    Talent Agent: Becoming an Agent and Getting Representation
    Talent Agent's Course

3. Alex Reev

Alex Reev New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks @sharkb8,

I think the main problem is that my B.S. degree not in even from the U.S. university (as I'm from Ukraine), that's why I was thinking on studying in L.A. to improve my CV and get better knowledge of the industry. I know that it won't secure me an entry position at the agency, but I need to use all options to improve my odds.

I was also considering 18-months LAFS Entertainment Business program. Also not cheap, but at least it looks intensive and in the "right" direction. However, I can see there are many controversial reviews and comments about this school.

I am 34 now, don't want to loose any more time with another 4-year BS or BA degree... I'm good in sales and communication, and I know I can make it as a talent agent. So I prefer to get into the "real world" as soon as possible.

4. Operator

Operator Active Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Get an MBA or JD.