1. The FilmSchool.org community has been helping people apply to film school since 2002. Log in or Create an Account and get your film school questions answered.
  2. Did you go to film school for undergrad? Please review the school on our Film School review system. (You can review anonymously)
    Dismiss Notice

Second (or third) time's the charm?

Discussion in 'Introductions and Welcomes' started by O. Wesley Nelson, Mar 9, 2018.

1. O. Wesley Nelson

O. Wesley Nelson New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    People who got accepted to an mfa program on your second/third attempt: do such people even exist? Or is it foolish for me keep trying? Please share your story to light the way. Especially screenwriters (since I'm dealing with rejection right now).

• Like Like x 1
  2. Septopus7

Septopus7 Writer

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +123
    I can't speak personally, since I'm barely on my second time (and, from the sounds of it, probably didn't get in then either), but people definetly get into their school of choice with multiple applications. A few have even reported doing so on these forums, in this cycle (@MFAman is the only one that comes to mind, but I'm sure I've seen more). No harm in trying, at the very least.

• Like Like x 1
  3. O. Wesley Nelson

O. Wesley Nelson New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Okay, that's good to hear.

4. Eel Dreams

Eel Dreams Member

Ratings:
    +5
    This whole thing is rigged man

5. IndecisiveElle

IndecisiveElle Active Member Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +454
    Many people take multiple rounds to get in. I actually wrote a blog post about my experiences with rejection last year and what I did following it. I'll also have an article as a site contributor about how to keep moving after rejected posted within the next few days as well.

6. estherk

estherk Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I don't think it's foolish at all! I've seen several people on the forum who have applied multiple times. And, it does say something that USC's rejection letter encourages people to try again - it must mean it's not that uncommon.

I'll probably end up applying again (unless I get off Chapman's wait list). I learned a lot from applying this time, even though my application wasn't that good. I feel like I have a lot more confidence in myself as a creator and feel more determined to make better work for next time. So if you are going to apply again, you're not alone. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Eel Dreams

Eel Dreams Member

Ratings:
    +5

8. Jason

Jason Member

Ratings:
    +29
    I've heard Stark mostly accepts people who've applied and got rejected before. The coordinator wants to see what they've done after rejection. This is why one of their application questions is something like "what are your plans if you don't get accepted into Stark."

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Chris W

Chris W Get Busy Living Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +334
    Many people on this site are those people. :) They certainly exist.

• Like Like x 1