USC MFA Film & TV Production 2017

Congrats! Is your YouSC updated? Or did you just find out via email?
My YouSC account was not updated. It was a PDF letter attached to an email. Just to add, my letter is dated 14 March but they sent the email on 16 March and I received it over here on 17 March, with the time difference and all. Not sure if that helps, but they could be taking a couple of days to get all the waitlist letters out!

Last edited:

A

I noticed another international student received a waitlist decision.. anyone out there get their decision letter??

Meryam

I feel this might better be discussed in its own thread, like what the UCLA folks did. No offense, but we're all too busy wallowing in anxiety to read about what is going on with you lucky accepted folk. :p
That's totally fair. Sorry if I came off insensitive. I'm happy to set up a private thread.

lianlee

Based on the google sheet, there are already three people who got waitlisted.

Time to give up and move on. Good luck to everybody!

ASF

Just got an email at 7:15 ET that I'm on the waitlist for Fall 2017 and offered a spot for Spring 2018! No PDF attachment and no portal message... just an email with a link to Accept / Decline my position. I will 100% be going in Spring unless I get in for Fall.

Would be really interested if anybody knows how to cement their place in the Spring semester, or how this process works generally, as I don't want to blow this haha.

mbosma

I also got admitted to the Spring 18 class and waitlisted for fall. So excited. Hoping that some others hear back as well!

Timothy

Hey everyone,

Congratulations to those who have been admitted! Those of you who have been added to the waitlist, did you receive an interview/call earlier this year? Thank you and again congrats!!

ASF

Hey everyone,

Congratulations to those who have been admitted! Those of you who have been added to the waitlist, did you receive an interview/call earlier this year? Thank you and again congrats!!
Yeah, had a skype interview in January.

A

Hey everyone,

Thanks, I appreciate it. I had a phone call interview.

Hey everyone,

I had a Skype interview in February.

lianlee

Hey, since I have already given up hope for this year USC admission, I really hope I could get some advice from people who were admitted and waitlisted, which could help me to be prepared for my future application to USC. I get one acceptance from another film school, but I think I am going to either deny the admission or defer the acceptance. Although I am still waiting for the results from other schools, Columbia and USC are always my top choices (but CU even didn't give me an interview this year:( ), I guess I will reapply anyway regardless of the results from other schools, and I am much younger compared to most applicants for film graduate schools and the graduates this year so I have plenty of time to do it again. I really appreciate your time to answer my questions!

For the portfolio part, what did y'all do for the five minute limit? Since most of my short films are longer , what I did this year was to shoot a short film which was under 5 minutes for USC, and it didn't turn out as good as my best work before, but I turned it in anyways. Did y'all shoot a five minute film intentionally for the school or just include the highlights of your previous works? Thank you for sharing the information!

For the recommendations, who wrote recommendations for y'all? I only requested recommendations from my professors, and I don't have any recommendation from a figure in this industry, which I guess it will hurt my chance probably?

The third question is, for the personal statement, did y'all put more emphasis on your life stories or the passion of filmmaking? Did y'all write the essay in a very unique or unconventional way?

The last question is about the writing sample. The thing I regret most is, I chose to submit a concept for a feature film. I thought the school didn't have any format requirement, but after I talked to several people including my professors, they told me I should segment the story and break it down to acts and sequences. I definitely separate the paragraphs by the act, but I didn't really follow the industry format :(. So I am wondering what y'all did for it? Did y'all follow the industry format?

I am sorry that I have several big questions to ask, but I will be very thankful if anybody could help to answer my these questions! Thank you!

Swissapp

Hey, since I have already given up hope for this year USC admission, I really hope I could get some advice from people who were admitted and waitlisted, which could help me to be prepared for my future application to USC. I get one acceptance from another film school, but I think I am going to either deny the admission or defer the acceptance. Although I am still waiting for the results from other schools, Columbia and USC are always my top choices (but CU even didn't give me an interview this year:( ), I guess I will reapply anyway regardless of the results from other schools, and I am much younger compared to most applicants for film graduate schools and the graduates this year so I have plenty of time to do it again. I really appreciate your time to answer my questions!
Hey, I totally don't mind sending you all the stuff I submitted if you want to see it. I focused a lot on me, and my life and how it affects my film making more than anyone else. And the film I had was made specifically for film school.

lianlee

Hey, I totally don't mind sending you all the stuff I submitted if you want to see it. I focused a lot on me, and my life and how it affects my film making more than anyone else. And the film I had was made specifically for film school.
Thank you so much!!!! I really appreciate it!! I will send a private message to you!

A

I'm going to say it again.. there's 6 people who were interviewed and haven't updated their decision. I still think some acceptances are going to go out!

lianlee

I'm going to say it again.. there's 6 people who were interviewed and haven't updated their decision. I still think some acceptances are going to go out!
Hey I am sorry for being passive in this thread. I didn't mean to spread my negative thoughts to others. I apologize if it influences other people here. I just feel like I have a super slight chance to get in in current condition since most spots were already taken , so I guess I could start to prepare beforehand.

It is not over yet, and there will actually be more acceptances going out because I called them today, and they said they hadn't sent all of them out yet ( but I am not sure the accuracy of the information).

So the waiting is not over.

Last edited:

Latest Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• USC Cinematic Arts - Film and Television Production (MFA)
    2.00 star(s)
    Great Marketing, Subpar Reality
    I'm writing this review because there wasn't a lot of clear info when I was applying so I hope that this can offer some clarification beyond the...
    • Anonymous
    1.00 star(s)
    Hollywood Trash
    Overall, this school is what 'quantity over quality' means. The network they brag about is absolutely not as they market. The filmmakers who come...
    • soybean
    1.00 star(s)
    Questionable Investment
    If you don’t get a scholarship to attend USC I would advise against going. It’s too much money to throw away for a school with so many problems...
    • Anonymous
  • Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    BEST use of your time!
    Thanks to professor Carl Haber I was able to learn the fundamentals of screenwriting and how to implement them. For the first time in my life, I'm...
    • pcasmur
  • UCLA TFT - Screenwriting (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    The Right Move For Me
    I have loved this program so far! For me, it was the right move. Coming from out-of-state, I learned a lot about LA and housing, but it could have...
    • Anonymous