1. The FilmSchool.org community has been helping people apply to film school since 2002. Log in or Create an Account and get your film school questions answered. (It's free!)

USC MFA Film & TV Production 2017

Discussion in 'Graduate Film School Discussions' started by patchoooli, Feb 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. lianlee

lianlee Member

Ratings:
    +42
  2. SaltyDornishman

SaltyDornishman Fixin' it in post

Ratings:
    +32
    Ahhhhh someone upthread said Sunday!!

3. lianlee

lianlee Member

Ratings:
    +42
    Well the decision is out for me, and it notifies me through the email that my portal was updated, and the time is 3:15 am CDT, and it is a rejection.

#263 lianlee, Mar 26, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    • Hang in there! Hang in there! x 4
  4. JoannaFern

JoannaFern New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Same here!
    Well that felt really anticlimactic.
    If anyone wants to reapply, lets crew on each other's creative portfolios maybe!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Timothy

Timothy Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Absolutely going to reapply! I'll be checking what I assume to be the same message tonight after work. Happy to stay in touch with everyone, and congratulations to all the successful applicants in this community!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. brandon segelke

brandon segelke Member

Ratings:
    +38
    well, still nothing for me... Please tell me there are others who still haven't been notified...UGHHHH I just want this to be over!

• Hang in there! Hang in there! x 2
  7. lianlee

lianlee Member

Ratings:
    +42
    Hey I am going to reapply! Please DM me!

• Like Like x 1
  8. seerakosumosu

seerakosumosu New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Just got my rejection and I'm planning to reapply. Still no sign of my anticipated rejection from the screenwriting program, though...

• Hang in there! Hang in there! x 1
  9. Mint

Mint New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I still haven't heard anything. Going a little crazy... I have no idea what to expect now.

10. yeahyeah

yeahyeah New Member

Ratings:
    +16
    I was rejected. My heart is broken; getting into USC has been my goal for the past five years. I've poured myself into my student (imperfect) filmmaking these past few years. I went from being too intimidated to make film to helping start my own student production company as well as a handful of other student organizations. I've met a lot of wonderful people, branched out of myself, and made work I'm proud of. I definitely feel as though the application process failed to capture a thousand little nuances, but what's decided is decided.

To be honest, I'm not even sure where to go from here. My industry connections are marginal, I have to look for a "real job," and my opportunities to make film are going to lower once I graduate. But I do know one thing: I will continue to improve in some way, shape, or form.

I'm not sure why I typed this out. I suppose it's because I'm still numb from reading my decision this morning. But truly, to everyone that got in, congratulations. You've achieved something very special, and I can only hope to join your ranks one day.

• Hang in there! Hang in there! x 6
  11. brandon segelke

brandon segelke Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Welp never received an email, but upon my daily inspection of you.usc.edu I received my Rejection notice. I was pretty ready for it though. Congrats to everybody who worked hard and gave it a shot. Ill be working on a short film this year and continue to grow as a filmmaker and give it another shot next year! Hold on to what got you into filmmaking in the first place, this is a long game, and there are no easy roads, best of luck to all!

• Like Like x 1
    • Bummer! Bummer! x 1
    • Hang in there! Hang in there! x 1
  12. Swissapp

Swissapp Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Has anyone received any scholarship info?

13. mbosma

mbosma Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Does anyone who submitted their FAFSA notice that on FAST it still says it's waiting for FAFSA? I submitted this months ago.

14. Meryam

Meryam Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Hey there,

I had the same problem. I actually called the financial aid office (they are really busy this time of year so be prepared for a 30 minute hold time) and they manually updated my status. But I was concerned there for a while, because I had also submitted it months ago.

15. mbosma

mbosma Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Hi all! I am a Fall Waitlist// Spring Admit.. just wondering, is anyone thinking about turning down USC? Has anyone contacted regarding space remaining in the Fall? Thanks.

16. Chris W

Chris W FilmSchool.org Owner Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Hang in there! I hope this site continues to be a resource for you the next go around.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sibi Naayagam

Sibi Naayagam Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Would like to answer a couple of things here,
    1) I was waitlisted for Fall 2016 and was given a place in the Spring 2017 batch, which I'm pretty sure you will get if you are waitlisted for Fall, no matter what. They don't take away your Spring admission.

2) I was one of those people who thought Fall batch is better than Spring batch. But guess what, the way the program is designed, Spring batch seems to have a clear advantage. And talent wise, I have seen films made for the semester from my batch as well as the Fall one and I can say that both have great films and bad ones. Plus, once you are past year 1, you would be collaborating with all sorts of people so the batch you came in as wouldn't matter much.

Hope this response helps someone.

EDIT: Oh, btw USC is the best! It's freaking amazing!

• Like Like x 1
  18. mbosma

mbosma Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Has anyone heard back regarding the waitlist?