UT Austin - MFA in Screenwriting Program Applicants 2021

writewrist

I noticed on Monday that my application status has changed to:

Your file has been forwarded to the Graduate Committee for review.​

Is anyone familiar with this? From googling, it looks like it's just a standard update as the committee reviews all applications. It just seems odd to me that it changed so close to the announcement and not sooner after submitting.

Also who else keeps obsessively checking My Status even though we shouldn't be hearing back yet?
Interesting. Mine changed to that back in December if I remember correctly. Trying not to read into why the changes in status would show up at different times. *nervous laughter*

but yes also checking rather frequently for no good reason given that the FAQ said the 15th.

but looking at previous years, I’m anxious to see how the timeline actually plays out for all of us. Seems like some didn’t hear until as late as March 😬

writewrist

Lol. Just reread the FAQ page.

“The admissions committee reviews applications after the December 1st deadline closes, and we send admission notifications around February 15th.”

Never noticed that preposition before but maybe we shouldn’t be expecting news on Monday?

Ludo

Interesting. Mine changed to that back in December if I remember correctly. Trying not to read into why the changes in status would show up at different times. *nervous laughter*

If anything, yours changing back in December is a good sign!

Lol. Just reread the FAQ page.

“The admissions committee reviews applications after the December 1st deadline closes, and we send admission notifications around February 15th.”

Never noticed that preposition before but maybe we shouldn’t be expecting news on Monday

Yeah, I had hoped that meant we could hear back before the 15th.

Also, Austin is currently experiencing an extreme cold front. We'll have that lowest temperatures we've seen since the 80s and it looks like there may be some black outs. I assume the University will be fine, but if not it could cause the decision announcement to be delayed. We'll just have to wait and see, but I hope y'all are hanging in there. Best of luck!

Abbey Normal

Supporter+
Just checked my app status and I also see "your file is being forwarded to the Graduation Committee for review." I'm not going to look too much into this because it seems like more of a formality. But I sure hope they respond to us this week. The wait is stressing me out.

queeryet_good

Supporter
I just looked at UT Austin’s Twitter: “Due to severe winter weather, UT campus will close at 4PM on Sun 2/14 and remain closed through at least Wed 2/17 at 8AM. All classes and events are canceled including virtual/online classes and events”
Wonder if that means we won’t hear anything until at least 2/17? I hope everyone is safe

schnagler

Now UT is saying they are closed through the 18th. I'm here in Austin and there's close to 5 inches of snow on the ground and no equipment to remove it. Lots of power outages as well. And people with frozen pipes. I assume there will be delays.

Abbey Normal

Supporter+
Now UT is saying they are closed through the 18th. I'm here in Austin and there's close to 5 inches of snow on the ground and no equipment to remove it. Lots of power outages as well. And people with frozen pipes. I assume there will be delays.
Thanks for the update! Hope you're okay and staying warm.

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
Haha yeah I’m in San Antonio and none of us were prepared for this. No power or heat. On the upside I’m thinking about the decision less lol
I can't wait until battery backups are commonplace. I'm going to add solar and batteries to my house as soon as I can afford to. Blackouts suck. Blackouts in the freezing cold I imagine suck even more.

Ludo

It's back up now, but there is no change to my status. It is still "in review".

The campus is now closed until Monday and a lot of people here still don't have power, so I doubt their whole team could be working at the moment. I don't think we'll have an update until at least Monday, but we'll see.

Abbey Normal

Supporter+
Looks like UT Austin will resume classes tomorrow so we should be expecting to hear from them soon.

1614120724379.png

aspirinmovies

Longtime lurker. I just got a call saying I've been accepted!!!

I was in too much shock to ask if they've started notifying anyone else, and MyStatus hasn't been officially updated yet. So keep the faith and keep your eyes peeled for any calls from a Burbank area code! My fingers are crossed for y'all!!!

Add your film school application to our Admissions Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Add Application…

Latest Accepted Applications

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Brooklyn College (CUNY) Feirstein - MFA in Cinematography
    1.00 star(s)
    A Mess
    It took me a while to write this review but when I saw there were none from current students I felt it was important to do so. I came to Feirstein...
    • Anonymous
  • NYU - Tisch Undergraduate Film & Television
    5.00 star(s)
    I had a great time here but that was back in the late 90s
    I loved NYU. I was a pre-med student who transferred in 1999 and graduated 2001. I received two scholarships, multiple grants and loans. They had...
    • anniewaits
  • Boston University - College of Communication (M.F.A. Screenwriting)
    4.00 star(s)
    Screenwriting Program Review by a Second Year Student
    Current student in the screenwriting MFA program at BU. There’s a lot to love in this program, I think overall it is one of the more underrated...
    • Cody Young
  • Hofstra University - Department of Radio, Television, Film
    5.00 star(s)
    Quality Facilities, Caring Professors
    Great school that prepares you for the New York film and television scene. The facilities are state of the art and the teachers are top notch.
    • joekgilberto
  • Emerson College
    3.00 star(s)
    Go if you have a sizable scholarship
    Ultimately glad I went, but my overall experience at Emerson felt very lackluster. The courses were good, but nothing really worth sinking almost...
    • Anonymous

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications