What film have you just watched or are watching?

Chris W

Get Busy Living
Staff member
What's the most recent film that you have watched or what are you watching right now?

I have been catching up on some end-of-the-month Netflix and I just watched Hirokazu Koreeda's Like Father Like Son - really GREAT! If it's on anybody else's list you have three days to get to it!

And as for in-the-theater movies, yesterday my sister and I went to a showing of Purple Rain - as a movie, slightly less great (lol), but as a Prince vehicle, there were sniffles all around after "Purple Rain"...

Chris W

Get Busy Living
Staff member
Hirokazu Koreeda's Like Father Like Son - really GREAT! If it's on anybody else's list you have three days to get to it!
I'll try to check it out! It really goes away in days? I'll be sure to watch it soon.

Like Father, Like Son | Netflix

As for me, I saw Finding Dory with my kids this past Father's Day weekend. Quite good. One part was so funny I was crying.

Saw 'The Nice Guys' in at theater last week. Haven't laughed so hard at the movies in a while.
More recently, saw "The Big Lebowski" as part of a Coen Brothers marathon I'm doing.

Mike_V

Staff member
Chapman
Just saw Finding Dory a few days ago. a very cute movie for sure. I do like the opening short as well.
Other than that, i have a few series I was recommended like Banshee and Man in High Castle. Gotta watch Red Beard as well (Kurosawa).

Mike_V

Staff member
Chapman
I watched the first episode and I'm only sort of dug it... haven't watched any more... does it get better?
no clue. I have yet to watch it. this is my week off from work, so i've been cleaning the apt and organizing everything (physical and digital).. it'll be a massive undertaking :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking forward to Finding Dory and might be able to see Nice Guys next week...has anyone been to The Lobster yet? Good critical reception but I've heard a couple people say they HATED it.

I'll try to check it out! It really goes away in days? I'll be sure to watch it soon.

Like Father, Like Son | Netflix
For anyone who wants to get the most out of the Netflix juggernaut check out this blog: expiringonnetflix.blogspot.com
I know some film sites like Indiewire post a list every month of what's leaving but I think those must be based on a press release sent out before all the titles are finalized...you'll see a lot more here, sadly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris W

Get Busy Living
Staff member
Just started watching "The Night Of"... I was hesitant because everyone was talking about it... But I just watched the first episode. DAMN it was good. Very cinematic. Great stuff. Now I just need to watch the rest SO DON'T SPOIL anything. :) hehe.

By the way.. if you ever want to do a post where they'd be a spoiler... if you go to the + menu up above there's a spoiler option. Any text you mark as spoiler will not be shown unless someone clicks on it.

Like this.

Screenshot 2016-09-06 at 4.33.20 PM.png

Chris W

Get Busy Living
Staff member
ust started watching "The Night Of"... I was hesitant because everyone was talking about it... But I just watched the first episode.
Watched the second episode last night. Pretty good but not as engaging as the first - but that is to be expected as the first episode was the actual "night of" so there was a lot going on. Sometimes I think the director is trying to see how long he can get away with playing an abstract shot... a couple of them went on forever - like the shot of them walking into the jail as reflected through the water. I liked it... but the second episode seemed to be more process and not as engaging as the first. It's definitely laying down a lot of character development.

As an aside... I think it's pretty amazing that these shows are being made now. There is time taken for character development and abstract shots and composition. What's also interesting is that this show isn't really going for gripping act outs or episode outs... it really takes a gamble that the viewer will be taken in by the story and would like to watch more.

Breaking Bad was another really great show made for TV - but that used the same "oh my god what is going to happen next" formula. The first season of True Detective did as well... (I haven't seen the second season yet)

It's interesting that "The NIght of" doesn't seem to really go by that formula... at least so far.

Is anyone else watching this now or already watched it?

Chris W

Get Busy Living
Staff member
Okay - saw the third episode of "The Night of" last night... it's getting better again. I must say though - all the jail process stuff is pretty darn accurate... I edited LockUp for a while so I should know. :)

Chris W

Get Busy Living
Staff member
Watching Westworld now of course... and I've since finished "The Night Of"

I remember being REALLY freaked out by the original Westworld movie (directed by MIchael Crighton) as a kid.

icygee

#JusticeForKatya #JusticeForBeyoncé
Most recent movie I watched was Allied, which wasn't awful but boy was Pitt horribly cast. But I also saw Moonlight (twice in the last week) and it's easily my frontrunner for Best Picture and Screenplay (I would've said Supporting Actress for Naomie Harris too but I think Viola Davis is going to have to absolutely bomb in Fences to lose and I just don't see that happening in this lifetime).

Anyway, the second time I saw it it was at a screening with Barry Jenkins, Mahershala Ali and Harris which led to a lot of nice insight. One endorsement Jenkins made for filmmakers is that "In the Blink of an Eye" by Walter Murch is a must read.

Hell or High Water. Simple but powerful.

icygee

Hell or High Water. Simple but powerful.
In an ideal world Ben Foster and Jeff Bridges would get Oscar noms for that movie but I really hope at least one of them land one.

icygee

R.I.P. Me thinking that Moonlight should win Best Picture, 11/26/16 - 12/8/16.

I saw La La Land last night and woooooooooOOOOOOOOOO. A film.

Latest reviews