• IT'S HAPPENING! Celebrate interview season by becoming or upgrading to a Lifetime Supporting Membership for ONLY $15! (25% off) by entering the coupon code "ITSHAPPENING" . Thanks for being a member of the site!

AFI Screenwriting Fall 2021

CampbellSoup

Supporter
Is anyone filling out the scholarship form? I know it's not due till February but I figured I'd get it all done at once. It asks how much you're requesting, would it be bad to say as much as possible? haha I want as much in scholarships as I can get obviously but I don't want to sound greedy.

Is anyone filling out the scholarship form? I know it's not due till February but I figured I'd get it all done at once. It asks how much you're requesting, would it be bad to say as much as possible? haha I want as much in scholarships as I can get obviously but I don't want to sound greedy.
I basically feel the same way (I want as much as they can give me) but from what I've heard, it's helpful to come up with an actual dollar amount. You could just put the full (rather obscene) price of yearly tuition.

MaybeSese

Hey everyone! Just applied last night. I’m 28 and a fairly non-traditional student but I have several years worth of production experience and believe my writing examples are strong.

Good luck to you all! Hope to meet some of you in the fall.

p.s. I had to toss the Risk prompt into the trash about 5 times before I got something I was happy with. One of the trickiest prompts I’ve seen.

llueve

Supporter
Same here! Are you a US student and did you fill out a FAFSA form? When you do that, they give you something called the ESAR (electronic student aid report) that lists how much they have determined you can/should contribute to your own education.
So I think I'm gonna take that number, subtract it from the total AFI tuition, and then put that as how much I want/need. It's still a pretty gianormous number. :/

llueve

Supporter
p.s. I had to toss the Risk prompt into the trash about 5 times before I got something I was happy with. One of the trickiest prompts I’ve seen.
Right?? I had trouble with it too! Worked out in the end, but I restructured it some 4 times (and tried out some other full on alt scenes) before I got it.

Same here! Are you a US student and did you fill out a FAFSA form? When you do that, they give you something called the ESAR (electronic student aid report) that lists how much they have determined you can/should contribute to your own education.
So I think I'm gonna take that number, subtract it from the total AFI tuition, and then put that as how much I want/need. It's still a pretty gianormous number. :/
By the looks of it, I'll be asking AFI for a 6-figure scholarship haha. I know AFI recently received a $5 million donation to help support diverse voices. Let's pray that AFI is super generous to the class of 2021.

CampbellSoup

Supporter
I am a US student, I haven't done that yet, though. Good call!

By the looks of it, I'll be asking AFI for a 6-figure scholarship haha. I know AFI recently received a $5 million donation to help support diverse voices. Let's pray that AFI is super generous to the class of 2021.
Wow! If this is true then they can literally be generous in offering full-ride scholarships for many first-year fellows :D

By the way, did you ask for a six-figure sum?:D

Wow! If this is true then they can literally be generous in offering full-ride scholarships for many first-year fellows :D

By the way, did you ask for a six-figure sum?:D
Hey! Yes, it's true (see link below). It appears fellows going into the 2021 semester will be the first ones to receive the scholarship. I haven't started the scholarship application, but I'm definitely going to ask for as much as I can possibly get. Six-figure sum, here I come haha!

Fingers crossed to all those who applied!!!

lucychoi97

Supporter
Hey! Yes, it's true (see link below). It appears fellows going into the 2021 semester will be the first ones to receive the scholarship. I haven't started the scholarship application, but I'm definitely going to ask for as much as I can possibly get. Six-figure sum, here I come haha!

Heyy I'm thinking of applying to the AFI scholarship as well! Do you mind if I ask what amount are you thinking to ask them for the scholarship? I found that on the application, it says to write down how much I want to receive and I have no idea how much is enough

Wow, this is a very reassuring view (and frankly ALOT of money!) :D 🤞

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
Anyone else hear about AFI Screenwriting interviews!? I got an email late last night about setting up an interview!!!
Congrats! Be sure to edit your application and add the interview notification date. :)

Also be sure to change the prefix from Applied to Interview Scheduled

Edit button is in the three dot menu or bottom left.

Screenshot_20210112-212123.png

marianass45

Supporter+
Anyone else hear about AFI Screenwriting interviews!? I got an email late last night about setting up an interview!!!
Congrats!! Hope it works out! 😄
Still waiting around here!!

Latest Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews