How to afford it?

How is everyone able to afford these schools? I mean, is everyone taking on tons of loans? This is something I am seriously worried about, because as much as I would love to go to my dream school, I don't want to be paying for my education for the rest of my natural born life. How is everyone else doing it?

Seriously, I think the loans have it... at least for the first year-- unless you are independently wealthy.

It seems there are more fellowships, Grants, and TA positions after that first year.

If I end up at UCLA, I'm hoping to get a Diversity Fellowship, or just a regular one for non-minority types, though I assume those only go to non-minority types...read: white men.

AFI, I dunno. I've smoked too long to have my eggs harvested.... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ever hear of working? Ever hear of loans? Ever hear of scholarships? Ever hear of Army ROTC? Ever hear of finacial aid? Ever hear of being lazy? Yes?

Film_Jock, you are out of line in every post you've made so far. If you don't want to have the shortest forum lifespan in recorded history, I suggest you start minding your manners.

And just an FYI: Most top film schools strongly suggest (read: Tell you) not to work the first year of an MFA Program. Also most financial aid such as fellowships or scholarships are not offered to first year graduate students.

Sorry then? If you can't afford or pay for film, maybe you don't deserve it??? Otherwise there is always loans? Dont listen to me if you dont want to. I am asking questions, I dont say I have the answers???

moviefan, your concerns are completely legitimate. And the more people are discouraged from filmmaking programs because of how expensive it is, the more filmmaking becomes the exclusive property of rich people. Which is a sad thing.

The answer for people like you and me is loans. It's awful, but you have to do it to yourself if you want to consider a major filmmaking program. (Of course, you can just make films on your own, with whatever kind of camera you can get your hands on -- some of the very best directors didn't go through film school.)

Loans would be the case with any field you decide to go into. It's a major problem with higher education in general.

Anyway, good luck.

i did community college for 2 years then am transferring i work full time and have been saving all the cash. i have scholarships and am using fasfa as well. keep all your receipts from the year because at the end of spring semester you can get tax returns for all the crap you had to buy during semester it's like recycled money in a way. i don't have any support from parents or anything or student loans everything is cold cash or scholarship / grants. (i work my butt off though over +40 hours, working on a 2nd job before fall to save up extra) once your in film school i heard you can't have a job so i will have to get like a bar tending job or something and just work nights (as we all know paying bills SUCKS, but debt is worst...)

in worst cases i got a credit card from bank of america. so if i am strapped for cash i will use that, it's like a student card, depending on your credit is the amount of interest you pay. that is easy to manage in small amounts. this is for like new tires on cars and random unexpected expenditures. hope that helps

I personally am currently trying to sell "shares" of myself. For a measly $5000 towards my education I will sell you 1% of my profit after film school for the first 5 years.

Haven't had that many takers-- too much of a gamble I guess.

Originally posted by moviefan208:
How is everyone able to afford these schools? I mean, is everyone taking on tons of loans? This is something I am seriously worried about, because as much as I would love to go to my dream school, I don't want to be paying for my education for the rest of my natural born life. How is everyone else doing it?
It is very expensive especially here in Orlando, Florida for Full Sail Vocational college for film production cost $70,000 for 23 months. Which indeed is crazy.
I am attending a community college that also offers film production which is state funded and cost far less then a lot of the schools that just offer film production. You have to be careful not to get ripped off. There are other ways to get into the business. Believe it or not its not the degree you get that gets you the job but more of who you know. Which is one key ingredient that they will teach you in any college to do. Networking. I see the guy Film_Jock doesnt know what he is talking about with his solutions of getting a job and working for it. Yeah right. If that was the case I believe we would all have the dream job making really good money. But we dont which is why we are in college to begin with.
Basically there are a lot of schools out there for far less to spend. I would try also doing some volunteer work for some production companies. I worked with Telemundo for a little while learning some Final Cut Pro and After Effects. Every little bit of knowledge will help in your resume. Hope this helps and good luck in your ventures. Of course if you come across any production companies in the future that give you a chance put in a word for me will yeah. Good luck and take care.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• UC Berkeley
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    Concentration: Film and Media Studies
    UC Berkeley Film Packs a Punch!
    I absolutely loved my time at UC Berkeley and I would not have traded doing my undergrad there even for a top spot at UCLA for a BFA in Film...
    • 8ballqueen
  • Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back