UCLA Directing/Production Fall 2019

Sruch.Pat

Anyone else interview? I was on the fence about UCLA but now I’m really falling in love with the program, ooof. I think mine went well, they started with “tell my about yourself” which I was somehow completely unprepared for 😂 but otherwise I feel good about it.
Hi Shannon!
I will be getting interviewed soon also, do you have any tips for the interview and if you don't mind, can you share the overall experience of your interview with UCLA.

Thanks,
Sruchi :)

Isabehl

Supporting Member
I just got the request, too! Were you all asked to come up with a 2 minute pitch? Wondering if it's standard or if they're just giving me a chance because they weren't sold on the one in my application 😅

d890

I just got the request, too! Were you all asked to come up with a 2 minute pitch? Wondering if it's standard or if they're just giving me a chance because they weren't sold on the one in my application 😅
LOL. I had the same request, yes. Its standard, I guess, and nice of them that they flag it in advance. Other schools just ask you to do that on the spot. Has anyone here interviewed already? I wonder what the duration, and flow of it is like.🤔

Buusey

LOL. I had the same request, yes. Its standard, I guess, and nice of them that they flag it in advance. Other schools just ask you to do that on the spot. Has anyone here interviewed already? I wonder what the duration, and flow of it is like.🤔
I interviewed back in 2013ish, fresh out of undergrad, and the faculty I talked to are still there after looking them up. I do know the program underwent some fundamental changes in the last few years but if the format of the interview is the same, I spoke to a student representative first who talked to me about her experiences, then a very informal conversation with 3 faculty members about what movies I like, why I want to make movies, etc. Was very relaxed in retrospect. Then, it ended with the big pitch (which I was the only one out of 75 that was never told about so I screwed it up).

Edit: oh also I forgot they mentioned that they interviewed 75ish for about 25ish slots but that may have changed because they also conducted my interview in NYC with a bunch of others based on the east coast USA. maybe budget cuts since then?

Last edited:

Roebot

Was it by email or phone call that you got the request? Applicant here, freaking out that this is the nail in my coffin.

Isabehl

Supporting Member
Was it by email or phone call that you got the request? Applicant here, freaking out that this is the nail in my coffin.
I was emailed the message that was in my Acceptd account inbox, so maybe you could log in and check there? 🤞

Roebot

I was emailed the message that was in my Acceptd account inbox, so maybe you could log in and check there? 🤞
Nothing there yet, but no rejection either. Probably won’t hold out much hope if I don’t hear from them by this week.

Congrats and hope the interview goes well!

jumshua

Hey everyone! I was just wondering if anyone had any issues signing up for an interview slot? I see the message in acceptd but as far as I can see there are no options to sign up in the system...

jumshua

Hey everyone! I was just wondering if anyone had any issues signing up for an interview slot? I see the message in acceptd but as far as I can see there are no options to sign up in the system...
I'm so stupid. was trying to do it on my phone but it wasn't working out. did it in a jiff on my laptop. ugh. glad I found it, though.

Isabehl

Supporting Member
I'm so stupid. was trying to do it on my phone but it wasn't working out. did it in a jiff on my laptop. ugh. glad I found it, though.
I actually had that same problem but I was on my laptop the whole time. The invite message was there but there was nothing in the Resources tab like they said. I even called to ask and they just directed me to message them on the website, but before I could send it, the schedule popped up!

Isabehl

Supporting Member
Nothing there yet, but no rejection either. Probably won’t hold out much hope if I don’t hear from them by this week.

Congrats and hope the interview goes well!
Thank you! I hope they reach out to you!

I interviewed in February. Just realized a few people asked for info earlier, sorry I missed it I’ve been trying not to spend too much time on these forums(for sanity). They asked what kind of work I’m interested in making and for my short film pitch. They also asked whether I’m interested in any alternative media like 360 filmmaking. Besides that it was pretty conversational.

I’m documentary focused myself, how about the rest of you who got interview requests? I’m curious what this new round means as far as my application status!

@sallygr4 I'm honestly not sure. The email I got on the acceptd website basically had every weekend from this past to March 22. The slots were all booked up. The 22 is their last day. You could always inquire.

sophie13133

It looks like sometimes, people are admitted to schools without having interviewed. Is that a possibility with UCLA? Or do you have to receive an interview in order to be considered for admission?

Latest Applications

Latest reviews