USC Application Status

Ryan C.

I called up USC today and learned some cool news. My application is now at the admissions comittee and they are hoping to have all of the letters sent out by April 1st.

Wow! The time has finally come!

wow.. another day... no mail

I cannot understand what the heck is taking so long.. this is so nervewracking.. i'm glad USC is the only place I applied, otherwise I'm sure the other schools would have wanted their deposits by now..

this is my first post, but i've been lurking for awhile now since I found the site by googling usc application status a couple weeks ago. I received my acceptance letter to usc's graduate program in film production in today's mail. the deadline for the deposit is may 15. Everyone should be receiving their letters soon (it says that I should receive a second letter from the university's dean of admission by April 30. Hopefully this is helpful to anyone still waiting! Now I have to actually get my mind around the idea of going back to school for three years.

I receive the same financial aid letter as a few other people at the beginning of the week. I filled out the supplemental form and faxed it to them yesterday. I got a separate big 'ol envelope from them today that is about financial aid.

I was never contacted for an interview. In fact, I had written off getting in to USC awhile back after getting an interview with AFI and not hearing from USC (so much so that I almost didn't send them my FAFSA application). But after getting curious and checking online, I found out a lot of other people were in the same position.

If you applied and haven't heard a peep from USC, you still might be getting in. With them, you're never out until you have a rejection letter in hand. Everyone should know soon!

I got my letter today...

"Although you were not selected for admission at this time, we would like to place your name on the wait list. If space does not become available for Fall 2008, we will offer you admission for the following term, Spring 2009."

So, I've been accepted...I just might have to wait until Spring 2009.

Of note also, the letter states:

"Applicants who were offered admission for Fall 2008 must confirm their acceptance by May 15, 2008. Should any of these applicants decline our offer, the Admissions Committee will reconsider applicants from the wait list."

"Applications on the wait list are not ranked."

The only thing that has me a tiny bit worried is this line:

"Once the Fall 2008 class is filled, you will receive formal notification of your Spring 2009 admission (pending approval of the USC Admission Office)."

That "pending approval" makes me a little nervous, though I've fulfilled all USC admission requirements that I know of, so I can't see why they wouldn't approve. I'm taking this letter as good news ”” a done deal for Spring, if nothing else.

Good luck to everyone else! If anyone who has been wait listed before wants to offer insights, I'll be happy to read them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the same letter about the waitlist as well. Pretty exciting...I wrote off USC weeks ago cause I didn't hear anything.

Gives me an excuse to visit the school...hopefully I'll get some financial aid otherwise i wouldnt be able to afford it.

Congratulations, you guys!

The wait list is such an honor especially with the sweetened deal of being able to attend in the spring. None of the other top schools have spring admissions so you get to work, save up a little and then come out in the winter when the weather is best!

If you haven't noticed, I'm a glass half full kind of girl.

I'm in to USC, but wait listed at NYU so I definitely know the feelings. I just called NYU, asked a few questions about deposits and THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE on it. I would think that USC would be just as helpful.

Anyway, be proactive and positive because you're going to film school!

I hope to see you in the Spring if not sooner! Good luck!

Ahhhhhh now I am super confused. I sent in my deposit for UT and I was mentally preparing myself for moving to Texas. I was getting depressed that I would have to move out there because I am a whole lot more used to diverse urban environments.

To be honest, Texas was my backup...I didnt get into the NY schools and I received my UCLA rejection a couple of days ago. I had totally written off USC, thinking I wouldnt have a chance at getting in. Now that I got the waitlist and Spring spot...I really don't know what to think. California is where I want to be but the price tag for USC is so much compared to UT (which is like one of the cheapest film schools). GAAAH.

The next few weeks are going to be hell deciding.

I just got the call,
I have been accepted to USC MFA PRODUCTION!!
I am so ecstatic right now. I didn't get called for an interview or reel or anything, just the online application in December then the phone call right now.

As a director, I can't wait to start meeting and working with all you talented people (any USC Screenwriters, Cinematographers out there? I'd love to get into contact, make some big plans)

I'm an alternate at AFI Directing as well, if that comes through, I might have some hard decisions.

YES! :D

Hey Allen,

I am from Austin, Texas and believe me when I say it doesn't fit your stereotype of Texan town. It is an awesome city with a lot of young people, art, music, and of course a big film scene. As for UT itself, I know a lot of people who have gone there and had a great experience. It is a strong program that is taking a lot of steps to offer some unique opportunities in the future. It really comes down to where you want to work: if you want to be in Hollywood, USC is better, if you want to do indie stuff in a more collaborative, laid back cities, then Austin is a great destination. USC is much more industry, Austin has a great doc program and a strong base... but no amazing Big Studio connections. All this being said, I am headed to USC and didn't apply to UT, even though I think it's a great school for some filmmakers.

Hey bscofield,

Yeah, I visited UT and Austin last month and I agree it's definitely an interesting city...but it's jsut not the same as Los Angeles. I've been going to school here for the last 5 years and I love it here. I like the freedom and diversity of being able to experience all kinds of cultures and destinations at once. Austin is a big city but it has a very small town isolated feeling...as least that's the impression I get, and I was there for SXSW so the city was popping.

I am going to wait for my financial aid package and visit USC in the meantime. Maybe we'll be classmates next year!

Congrats to all who were accepted! I just got my wait list/Spring '09 letter this morning (I didn't check the mail yesterday).

I interviewed with AFI and UCLA, and was rejected by both schools. SO I'm pretty happy that USC didn't ask for an interview ;)

BUT I've definitely been exhausted by the entire process, so I think I'm just gonna curl up and cry for a few days and then see where I'm at.

Best of luck to everyone!
-Adair

I did not receive a call or an email. I got my financial aid stuff after I sent them my FAFSA, and shortly after received my acceptance letter (I believe mine was mailed around the 25th also). I live in Austin, TX.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back