AFI Editing Discipline FALL 2022

It was very different than my USC interview lol. Not in a bad way, just super different energy. (Jennifer Warner interviewed me at USC and we talked for 90 minutes. NINETY. She was so warm and lovely and delightful.) My AFI interview was a tight 25 min and they asked me a lot of questions about myself as a storyteller, editor, and human (but not so much about my specific materials) and I had time to ask a couple Qs back. How did yours go?

Interesting.

My interviwers were Robert Ivison and Anne Goursaud. It went very well.
They asked me the same questions and quite honest I surprised them with my answers. (They kept saying great answer, I love ur answer...) I am not sure if they did with everone or just me.... I had time to ask only 3 questions and they had to wrap it. It lasted 35 minutes. I thought we were going for a full hour.

My USC interview went well as well. The interviewer was Peter Sollett, very nice guy. But it lasted only 30 minutes. Again, I thought it will last full hour. He said he just wanted to know that I am not a robot. I did most of the talking about my life, then I asked him questions about the TV series he directed "Ordinary Joe". I had questions about SCA but he wraped it up because he had other interviews to conduct....bummer.
So let us hope and see.

I wish u best of luck and I hope u get in to ur first choice of film school.

Oh cool! Those both sound like they went really well—congrats! My USC interview only went on as long as it did because I had a million questions and Jennifer Warner was EXTREMELY generous with her time. In total, we probably talked about the program for 30 minutes and spent the rest of the time talking about being women in theatre and film. (We both started as stage actors and I really want to have a career trajectory like hers. Basically, I'd just like for her to be my life mentor, plz and thank you.) At the end, she reminded me that an interview isn't a guarantee of admission, it's just another step in the process, so I don't feel any more confident than if I had interviewed with someone else. She was just extremely kind.

And same! I wish you the best of luck and hope you get your first choice, too! Thanks for filling me in on your experiences. Fingers crossed for ya!

For any other applicants heading into interviews, this year and beyond, and who are interested in the types of questions asked, this is what I remember from my interview:

1.) Why AFI? Why editing?
2.) Can you think of the first movie you watched that showed great editing?
3.) What is the biggest hurdle you've had to overcome in life?
4.) What aspect of editing are you most interested in?
5.) Tell us about your experience collaborating with others.
6.) What makes for a great mentor/teacher to you?
7.) Who would you like to take master classes from?

If I think of any others, I'll add them! I've found other peoples' posts with sample questions to be extremely helpful and generous, so thanks to all who have shared (...who will probably never see this post lol)! <3

For any other applicants heading into interviews, this year and beyond, and who are interested in the types of questions asked, this is what I remember from my interview:

If I think of any others, I'll add them! I've found other peoples' posts with sample questions to be extremely helpful and generous, so thanks to all who have shared (...who will probably never see this post lol)! <3
Awesome!
Just let us know if, not if, WHEN you get in. I hope our paths cross and we collaborate on projects :)

I got in! Ahhhhh!

Congrats!!!! I also got in! So excited!

Congrats!!! I got in as well!!!!

I got in! Congrats!

Yay! Congrats, everyone! 🎉
Congrats everyone! That's awesome.

Private AFI forum is here:

And page to join is here:

Start a new thread for this year's accepted applicants there. :)

It was very different than my USC interview lol. Not in a bad way, just super different energy. (Jennifer Warner interviewed me at USC and we talked for 90 minutes. NINETY. She was so warm and lovely and delightful.) My AFI interview was a tight 25 min and they asked me a lot of questions about myself as a storyteller, editor, and human (but not so much about my specific materials) and I had time to ask a couple Qs back. How did yours go?
**Ack. Correction: I meant Jennifer Warren. No wonder I didn't get into USC lol. JK. But Jennifer Warren was a fucking gem and if I end up going to AFI and living in LA I'm definitely going to reach out to her bc she was so generous with her time and offered to help me regardless of what happened with grad school. Just wanted to make that name correction. Please carry on.

Everyone please be sure to add your Applications to our application database so we can improve our acceptance data and help other applicants.

If you have any questions on how to add your application or suggestions on how to make the database better please let me know.

wow that was exactly the same as mine

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back