CalArts Directing MFA 2020

qianl97

CalArts
Has anyone heard about financial aid/scholarship? The tuition is really holding me back. Also, has anyone talked to the current students at CalArts? I looked into some of the posts from past years and found some really interesting thoughts about CalArts and I am reconsidering because of that :/

Johnella18

USC - Applied
Has anyone heard about financial aid/scholarship? The tuition is really holding me back. Also, has anyone talked to the current students at CalArts? I looked into some of the posts from past years and found some really interesting thoughts about CalArts and I am reconsidering because of that :/
What'd you find? And how far back?

I called yesterday and she told me we should get our award package in 1-2 weeks but it could be sooner than that. She being whoever answered the phone when I called the school lol

qianl97

CalArts
It's from 2008, so pretty far back. I kinda change my mind every single day about whether to go or not. CalArts definitely felt so right to me when I was visiting on the interview day, and everything seemed such like a perfect fit that it doesn't feel real. My biggest concern is probably just about the cost

Johnella18

USC - Applied
It's from 2008, so pretty far back. I kinda change my mind every single day about whether to go or not. CalArts definitely felt so right to me when I was visiting on the interview day, and everything seemed such like a perfect fit that it doesn't feel real. My biggest concern is probably just about the cost
I’m with you. I’m checking my email everyday for that update about the award package lol. I wish it was as affordable as the other schools I applied to.

And about you not being sure I’ll say this (even though you in no way asked me lol) definitely reach out to faculty and ask them anything that has you feeling doubtful. They were so open after my interview and we emailed back and forth for a few days. They answered all my long questions very thoroughly. Now that we’re in the decision stage I feel they’ll be even more helpful. And if you can visit your other choices (I guess when Corona calms her ass down) do that as well. Make a pros and cons list and be a real about it. Pray on it (if you’re a prayer obviously lol) and then whatever you decide don’t look back or listen to anyone else’s opinion. Wherever you end up you’re going to do great work. The school itself can’t make it break you. That’s how I see it Anyway. I hope my unsolicited advice helps you somehow! :)

qianl97

CalArts
I’m with you. I’m checking my email everyday for that update about the award package lol. I wish it was as affordable as the other schools I applied to.

And about you not being sure I’ll say this (even though you in no way asked me lol) definitely reach out to faculty and ask them anything that has you feeling doubtful. They were so open after my interview and we emailed back and forth for a few days. They answered all my long questions very thoroughly. Now that we’re in the decision stage I feel they’ll be even more helpful. And if you can visit your other choices (I guess when Corona calms her ass down) do that as well. Make a pros and cons list and be a real about it. Pray on it (if you’re a prayer obviously lol) and then whatever you decide don’t look back or listen to anyone else’s opinion. Wherever you end up you’re going to do great work. The school itself can’t make it break you. That’s how I see it Anyway. I hope my unsolicited advice helps you somehow! :)
Thank you for the advice!! I so appreciate it! I guess I just worry that what I eventually get out of the program after three years is not worthy of what I am paying for, both in terms of money and time. But that's also very hard to say unless I go there and have that experience. I'm trying to talk to more current students, and will definitely reach out to the faculty if I have any specific questions and doubts. I totally agree with you that people who want to keep making films will keep doing that wherever they go! Anyhow I hope we both hear back soon about financial package, and please message me or post in the forum if you end up deciding on CalArts :)

Latest Classifieds

Featured Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• UCLA TFT - Screenwriting (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    The Right Move For Me
    I have loved this program so far! For me, it was the right move. Coming from out-of-state, I learned a lot about LA and housing, but it could have...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Chicago - Department of Cinema and Media Studies
    5.00 star(s)
    In my opinion, the University of Chicago's Cinema & Media Studies program is one of the most outstanding and underrated programs out there. I...
    • jn0pe
  • Emerson College
    3.00 star(s)
    I went to Emerson for my undergrad for VMA (Visual media arts, just generally the film program) and...it was a lot of fun, I certainly learned...
    • julia1
  • Temple University - School of Theater, Film and Media Arts
    4.00 star(s)
    I graduated in 2013 and know several recent graduates ( 2017-2019 classes) as well. My personal and their related experiences are the basis for...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Rochester - Film and Media Studies Program
    5.00 star(s)
    I graduated from UofR with a double major in Film and Media Studies and Economics. My experiences at Rochester really shaped my filmmaking career...
    • dkimg21