Columbia MFA Creative Producing 2017

oops I lied. No commitment = no email = no access : P

they give us guest username and password to access to the arc site. It's in the PDF included with all the admissions paperwork. I think it's like a 4-5 page document called getting started! I've already started combing for things to apply to :)

DM me if you have a hard time finding it!

so... what happens with wait listed folks LOL... what kind of aid and taking out graduate plus loans etc etc...

Hey! I've been admitted to the Creative Producing program, but I also have a really good offer from NYU Grad Film.
Not sure what to choose yet, if someone could help me with some advice that would be great!
I think these are SUCH vastly different programs. In a nutshell, if you want to do immersive script/character/structure work I think Columbia is the place. Also if you are looking to produce, the 2:1 ratio at CU is really an advantage to the producers. There are two writer/directors to every producer.

I think these are SUCH vastly different programs. In a nutshell, if you want to do immersive script/character/structure work I think Columbia is the place. Also if you are looking to produce, the 2:1 ratio at CU is really an advantage to the producers. There are two writer/directors to every producer.

What will the course load be like in our first year? Also beyond the directors/screenwriters/producers, where do you guys pull positions like editors, audio, etc.? Is it more of an everybody in the program kind of fills every position or do you guys maybe find undergraduate students for those roles?

@BF @Cecil @Guac @HBG @ireneyang @jiff @Tony Yang

Just curious if anyone would be down for a portfolio share on this thread! I don't mind going first...but only if ya'll won't leave me hanging :D:D:D

And is anyone else ridiculously excited and thinking that the fall is way too far away?

And one more thing to get everyone excited. Check out this article about the new CU Morningside Campus where some of the SOA facilities are gonna be housed....I think we chose a fine time to come to CU :)

Just curious if anyone would be down for a portfolio share on this thread! I don't mind going first...but only if ya'll won't leave me hanging :D:D:D

And is anyone else ridiculously excited and thinking that the fall is way too far away?

And one more thing to get everyone excited. Check out this article about the new CU Morningside Campus where some of the SOA facilities are gonna be housed....I think we chose a fine time to come to CU :)

Nice find! You've made me even more hyped for the upcoming fall than before haha.

I'd be more than happy to share portfolios! Do you want to just post stuff here or do it over DM?

Nice find! You've made me even more hyped for the upcoming fall than before haha.

I'd be more than happy to share portfolios! Do you want to just post stuff here or do it over DM?

Let's post here. I don't mind and my videos are all public anyway.
But if anyone wants to DM because their material is sensitive (or unreleased), feel free!

Tadaima (Short Film)
Fortissimo (Short Film)
SuperSwell Reel - I had mixed feelings about submitting this. I'm an experiential producer and left the agency world to launch my own company. My admissions essay was also mostly about entrepreneurship. Def made my application feel way more "businessy" than "creative" which made me nervous. But I guess it worked!

I'm looking forward to watching everyone's work!

Let's post here. I don't mind and my videos are all public anyway.
But if anyone wants to DM because their material is sensitive (or unreleased), feel free!

Tadaima (Short Film)
Fortissimo (Short Film)
SuperSwell Reel - I had mixed feelings about submitting this. I'm an experiential producer and left the agency world to launch my own company. My admissions essay was also mostly about entrepreneurship. Def made my application feel way more "businessy" than "creative" which made me nervous. But I guess it worked!

I'm looking forward to watching everyone's work!
Wow, awesome work Claire!! I particularly enjoyed Tadaima.

I feel so amateurish posting my portfolio now because I just wrapped up undergrad this past summer at Michigan State haha. So all of my films are student projects I did for class or produced on my own with friends.

- I'm still wrapping up post production on this film, but this is a 5 minute excerpt (full short film will be 30 minutes) from a film I produced immediately after graduation. This was my 1st "independent" production not affiliated with the school and I chose this cause it was the most visually appealing out of the films I've produced so far.

- Senior project for one of my producing classes

- Senior project for my directing class

(PW: Portuguese) - This was a feature length film that was sponsored by the university that I was the lead/supervising producer for. It was a collaboration between the film and theater department and over 100 students came together to make the film (we even had Freshman directors!). I only submitted the trailer for the film because of the 30 minute time limit, but I talked about my experience producing the film in my personal essay.

Would love to share my portfolio, but I've got a few works that are unreleased yet. I can shoot a private link for anyone interested!

oh Wow! I´ll share tomorrow, it´s very late here in Milan. Awesome work everybody!!

I'm going to need one of you to not attend so, I can get off the waitlist! Lol

What will the course load be like in our first year? Also beyond the directors/screenwriters/producers, where do you guys pull positions like editors, audio, etc.? Is it more of an everybody in the program kind of fills every position or do you guys maybe find undergraduate students for those roles?

For me, the workload was not overwhelming. Yes, it was busy but I found I had enough time to spend on all of the assignments and classwork. I'll qualify this by saying I am from the city so I didn't need to "experience New York." Whatever that means. I am also a workaholic and in a long term relationship, so I never budgeted time for socializing and/or dating.

You will be required to produce three filmed exercises and direct three in-class scenes PER SEMESTER (that's 12 exercises over an 8-month period, do the math :). Also you'll write two short scripts, an entire outline and first draft of a feature, direct a 3-5 and an 8-12min short, plus produce an 8-12 for another student. And you will also be helping other students on set. There are also mandatory "workshops" on production throughout the first year. Maybe some other stuff I'm forgetting.

For crew positions, you can just grab other classmates for exercises, which are like short sketches for your directing class. For bigger projects, like thew 3-5 (winter break) or the 8-12 (summer break) you want to step it up crew wise. I have found that there are students that can do some nice work. There are about 5-6 of us (myself included) that are professionally experienced or very very good sound people.

Its actually a great time to punch up on your editing and lighting and set skills. Columbia IS NOT A PRODUCTION SCHOOL. Columbia is a story school and as I've posted many times before, incoming students should have realistic expectations of production resources and training at this "story school."

Expect to have VERY LITTLE if any contact with the undergrads. They are doing their own thing for the most part.

they give us guest username and password to access to the arc site. It's in the PDF included with all the admissions paperwork. I think it's like a 4-5 page document called getting started! I've already started combing for things to apply to :)

DM me if you have a hard time finding it!

thanks so much! found it!

so... what happens with wait listed folks LOL... what kind of aid and taking out graduate plus loans etc etc...
I called today and asked about the waitlist for financial aid. They said they were going to send me an email about that tomorrow since I called 5 minutes before closing. I'll post an update when they get back to me. And what the hell is up with these damn broker fees for every apartment I've been looking for online? I'm gonna have to end up living in New Jersey at this rate.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• UC Berkeley
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    Concentration: Film and Media Studies
    UC Berkeley Film Packs a Punch!
    I absolutely loved my time at UC Berkeley and I would not have traded doing my undergrad there even for a top spot at UCLA for a BFA in Film...
    • 8ballqueen
  • Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back