Guys, I need some help from people that have been through this progress....

Drew Johnton

I know people probably make posts like this ALL the time... but i am looking at film schools, and I am losing alot of sleep over this, and will probably continue to until i get accepted somewhere.

I have a 3.586 GPA (but that is a bit old and I got straight A's since then).... and I scored 1100 on the SATS which i only took once so far...

I am looking at the following colleges...

NYU (as a reach school)
Miami
Ithaca
Temple - Maybe

Miami is really my #1 choice

Well... what i am basically asking is for alittle insight.... What are my chaces for these schools?... I have already gotten answers to these questions but not from students like you guys... just from guys in suits...

Does anybody go to these colleges and can tell me what you got in with?... Or can anyone suggest to me another school that is good and i have a good chance of getting into?...

I know I am being very vague... but any information you can supply would help me out.

P.S... I will also be atending the New Yowk FIlm Academy this summer if that helps me at all with College.

I know people probably make posts like this ALL the time... but i am looking at film schools, and I am losing alot of sleep over this, and will probably continue to until i get accepted somewhere.

I have a 3.586 GPA (but that is a bit old and I got straight A's since then).... and I scored 1100 on the SATS which i only took once so far...

I am looking at the following colleges...

NYU (as a reach school)
Miami
Ithaca
Temple - Maybe

Miami is really my #1 choice

Well... what i am basically asking is for alittle insight.... What are my chaces for these schools?... I have already gotten answers to these questions but not from students like you guys... just from guys in suits...

Does anybody go to these colleges and can tell me what you got in with?... Or can anyone suggest to me another school that is good and i have a good chance of getting into?...

I know I am being very vague... but any information you can supply would help me out.

P.S... I will also be atending the New Yowk FIlm Academy this summer if that helps me at all with College.

Well, id say NYU is the best film school out of your list. I assume you are looking for a good film program. Bearing that in mind, I would stay away from Miami (UM) They have a less then stellar film program. If your looking to come to Florida, I would go with FSU. Great film program. They pay for film stock, and development themselves, and select 5 scripts a year, to which they give the each student a $25,000 budget. (most shoot 35mm) Imm not as familiar with the other programs, but i havent seen anything worthwhile come out of UM. My two cents.
R. Michael

"Luck, is when opportunity, meets preperation." "There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth, and none of us are lying" -Robert Evans

Hey Tizzy... What other schools do the same sort of thing? Im looking for a good film school that isnt USC or NYU. $25000 sure sounds nice.... Any other schools that have similar incentives?

Thanks
jason

"This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time"

Really? You don't think Miami is that good...

I know NYU is better... I just said Miami as my first choice because i don't think I have the grades to get into NYU...

I'd imagine FSU is hard to get into also, right?

Pretty much I'm looking for a good school that i can get into...How hard is FSU to get into... harder or easier than NYU?

I checked some information on FSU and from what I found... the average SAT scores are 1128 and the average GPa is 3.63... well I'm pretty dam close...

But that information seems a bit low... i excpected like a 1300 sat and a 3.8 GPA...

Does this information sound accurate to you guys?... this is hwere i found it...

http://www.a2zcolleges.com/misc/Advanced_details.asp?ID=455

This is the kind of info I'm looking for... and I know i can probably ask my guidance counselor and stuff about this but thats from one perspective... i'm interested in the Student perspective.

thanks for your help

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> i don't think I have the grades to get into NYU <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well now don't say that. I got in with a 3.65 GPA, which is pretty comparable to what you have. My SATs, however, were better. If you have the chance, take the SATs again, only this time buy the review book and study for them.

Also, take the SAT II subject tests. NYU says that they don't require that applicants take them, but they "suggest" that they take three

...that means take them.

--Alan

------------------
http://www.alandenton.com
------------------

If you don't mind me asking... what was your SAT score?

I have been taking the SAT classes and all that and hve been working hard... and taking all kinds of practice tests...

and as of now, 1100 is my best score... and it was on the one that counted.

My SAT tutors say I still have potential to do better on the June 7th test...

I wish i could find a website that will tell you what GPA and what SAT scores you need to get into specific schools... I haven't found that yet and it is hard to find that kind of information on the college's website.... anyone know where i can find this information?

Yeah, that info sounds about right for FSU. They really encourage the talented over the intellegent. (or something like that) As for other schools that will give you a budget, I think FSU might just be the only one. Only one I know of anyway.
R. M.

"Luck, is when opportunity, meets preperation." "There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth, and none of us are lying" -Robert Evans

Great.

Those are pretty encouraging words... its good to know i have somewhat of a chance.

Do you think going to the NYFA helps me at all? I signed up for it thinking it doesn't, but i heard somewhere that it might.

I usually refrain from blurting out my SAT score, but you asked, so it was a 1420.

To study for the test, I bought the "Ten Real SATs" book and took every test in it. Also, to improve my verbal score, I found a list online of the 100 most common SAT words and memorized all of them. And trust me, a whole bunch of those words were on the test and it helped my score a lot.

That list can be found here:
http://www.quia.com/jg/66022list.html

Just give it your best shot. Good luck. I'm glad to see that you're not one of those people who takes the test once without preparation and just settles for whatever you get. I hate that "I'm just a bad test taker" excuse. How far is that attitude gonna get ya, you know?

--Alan

------------------
http://www.alandenton.com
------------------

WOW.... i wish i could get a score that high... and you studied on your own.. you didn't even take a class?

I have the same book and I have a whole bunch of lists of words that i am in the process of learning...

i have a 590 math and a 510 verbal... i figure i can still go up alot in verbal.

You have encouraged me to work harder... I thank you.

You should take a look at SCAD. I am going there this fall. They offer scholarships for your films if they are good enough and judge you by a portfolio, not an essay for the film program, unlike FSU (which is gay).

There equipment is fantastic. They update all their software every 6 months. The computer art and film departments this year were combined in the same class for joint projects involving films with special effects. They have one of the only 5.1 surround sound editing sweets. Their editing equipment I believe totalls to like 20 million. They stuff they have is amazing. They have the HiDef camera that was used on Star Wars II. Go check out the site. This school is marvelous. I visited FSU, NYU, UCLA, USC and a few others and this one won my heart over.

Thomas Verrette
tommy21485@earthlink.net
Imperial Pictures

ok here how I got into NYU...well I am international student and therefore, I have a bonus....but probably it helps.

I had baaad high school grades (average C) from switzerland (well...it is impossible to have A's in our schools...yet, my grades were actually really bad even for our high school grade system). However, I went to Long Island University, scored a 4.0 in my first semester, did the SAT's (with the how to crack the SAT book help), scored 1240 (670 math and 570 verbal), wrote a nice essay, did a nice shortfilm (my first film in my life actually...as a director), send that to NYU and got in as a transfer student. as you see, it is worth to give it a try. Write an excellent essay, get 2 excellent reccomendation letters and your chances are ok.

some words to the SAT. My english was not great as I did the test. In fact, I guessed every single "level 5 hardcore" question in verbal. YEt, with the help of all those books, I scored a 570 and surprisingly, 90% of my level 5 answers were correct...I did not understand a single word in them...so get the book and practice, it helps a lot

will deitly look into that svannah school.

Geez... 1240 and you didn't even know english.

Again... another post that has inspired me to work my but off.

DO you think that if i didn't get accepted to NYU... it would be easier for me to get in as a transfer student?

well I do had 7 years of english in junior and high school...u know, the 2 hours per week foreign language stuff;)

it is definitely easier to get into NYU as a freshman than as a transfer....rumours say that the acceptance is around 20% as freshman and under 5% as transfer. But those are not facts.

However, it is always worth a try...you cannot loose more than 55 dollar for the application.

I have the strong feeling that NYU looks more into the essay, the background and the reccomendation letters than grades...but what do I know:)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my personal opinion, take it or leave it, I ran across this site searching for something else.
I always wanted to go to film school as a kid, but I couldn't and ended up becoming a small businessman instead.
Now however, I have the money and time to do whatever I want, and I've started my own little film business.
I thought I'd better get educated, so I went back to school and I quickly figured out that film school is a big waste of time & money.
You either have the drive or you don't.
If anyone on any set I've worked on has attended film school, they are getting coffee or pushing a broom, honestly.
If you are worried about your GPA or SAT score, going to film school might be for you. If you are worried about getting 2 more pages of script out of your 400' magazine or if your tungsten is going to blow the fusebox, that's different.
Take your money, attend the Action/Cut filmmaking seminar (much more usefull than the other one), read the 5 C's of cinematography, rent every DVD you can find with a director's commentary (these are real hit and miss), and then rent equipment to experiment on your own. (PS - always rent on Friday to get a free day, especially on Labor & Memorial day weekends)
Don't pay $20,000+ to go to NYU or any of the others just to get pounded with 5,000 hours of theory (Werner Herzog is not a God by the way) and shoot 200 feet through an Arri 16 (you can do this for free at my house), it doesn't benefit you and it's a waste of time if you are serious about getting into the business.
Rent a camera, buy the stock, make some shorts, make some more (or a feature if you have rich friends), and beg for jobs as a gopher on any set you can find, so you can watch and learn.
Learn by doing, not talking - the schools will talk your socks off and you'll leave broke with 1,500 pounds of $200 books and no real idea how to compose, light or get any depth out of a shot, let alone tell a story or make a feature (that anyone would sit through).
What you will spend on books alone would fund a feature shot on short end or recanned 16mm stock.
I've spent thousands and thousands of dollars on classes/seminars & books, and all the best stuff I've learned I learned myself from books, DVD's and playing with a camera on my own.
Now that I know how films and film productions really work I'm glad I didn't attend film school 20 years ago, I'd probably be working at Burger King right now still trying to pay off my student loans.
Please - if you do go to film school, don't graduate and borrow $200,000 from friends and family members to make an absolutly horrid movie that's so bad it's frightening. I've seen 4 kids do that so far. Please don't do that - borrow money from someone you don't like or care about to make your first 2 or 3 bad movies.
I might sound cynical, but I was just browsing the net looking for used equipment and came across this site, and you're getting an honest opinion from someone in the business who's worked on a number of projects and wasted a lot of money on bad schooling. You can learn more from having a few beers with a decent cinematographer than a semester at film school.
I can give you a list of DVDs and books to buy if you are serious about being a filmmaker. It's a short list, but effective material.
16mm crystal sync cameras go on e-bay for as little as $800, kodak is just an 800 number away, and yes you can do it without anyone holding your hand. It's not brain surgery. Keep your money.
If you're just looking for a fun major, flip a coin, the schools are a toss up, it's what you make of them more than what they make of you.
Like I said, that's my op - take it or leave it, but don't send me hate mail. It works for me and now I'm happily making cool little films on reasonable budgets.
If the Toxic Avenger can make a profit, there's hope for all of us. I love Loyd Kaufman, but my dog can operate a camera better than that, and he doesn't even have a thumb to get a reading off the light meter.

Your Opinion is very interesting, I've heard from many that would agree with you. However, I still want to go to college for film... whether it helps me or not, I'm going to go to college to mahor in film and something else *to fall back on of course, UM requires a 2nd major if your majoring in FIlm)...

And can I get that list your talking about.?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Drew Johnton:
will deitly look into that svannah school.

Geez... 1240 and you didn't even know english.

Again... another post that has inspired me to work my but off.

DO you think that if i didn't get accepted to NYU... it would be easier for me to get in as a transfer student?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Drew not to get to personaly but are you rich? I mean your family? Cause I know the New York Film Acadamy is 25 grand for several weeks. Plus those colleges you named are twice that amount of NYFA. So how do you plan on paying for all this?

Dangerous Minds make the most sense

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back