UCLA Directing/Production Fall 2019

Hi all. Just got the call that I’ve been accepted by the department. Also big news: the faculty wants to put me up for the Graduate Opportunty Fellowship Program, which would essentially be full tuition for a non-CA resident, plus a $20,000 stipend to use on anything (100% is going to rent). The fellowship is not totally guaranteed so they’re at least giving me $5,000 towards tuition.

I’m so torn because NYU was my top school for a while and they offered me $27,500 (half tuition). I don’t know if I should pursue UCLA on a maybe chance I’ll get a fellowship (not sure what the chances are but apparently they get 2-3 per year). Also, not sure if it’s worth telling NYU and I could haggle for money too? I thought I was in the clear with decisions!!

Also, letters or calls of acceptances are apparently coming out this week.

WOW. Thats really amazing news. In terms of decision making, I'd say decide what program has the most to offer for you.

You know, I was super unbothered throughout this whole process...UNTIL my interview came lol. It was like...wow. This can ACTUALLY be a reality. So I guess I'll keep being patient. :(

I feel the same way. Honestly after having a stellar interview at AFI and then not getting in my confidence has been shaken. I haven't heard back from other places yet and my anxiety is through the roof.

It seems that the decisions will come out early this week. So, no matter what the result is, we'll feel relieved soon. I can't agree more on how anxious we've been while waiting. Finger Crossed for all of us!

Thanks for the heads up! Good luck everyone. I was an anxious wreck during my interview but I'm still hoping for the best.

Hi @kreativesoul & @slantedenchanted , thanks so much for adding me to this conversation!

So my situation is actually pretty much identical to @Buusey:

I had been interviewed by Mark, Nancy and Rory on March 9th. (Don't know if I heard back early because I was in the first batch of interviewees - but it's possible)

Yesterday afternoon (around 11:30 AM) I got a phone call from Nancy letting me know that I had been accepted into the program.

I had applied for a full ride scholarship that we found out I was not eligible for anymore because of where I live, so she said that they are recommending me for the Graduate Opportunity Fellowship Program instead.

She said I should expect a formal e-mail to come in soon, but that she just wanted to call and let me know before I got the e-mail.

Let me know if there is anymore info I can give you guys. Keeping my fingers crossed for everyone here!

Hi @kreativesoul & @slantedenchanted , thanks so much for adding me to this conversation!

So my situation is actually pretty much identical to @Buusey:

I had been interviewed by Mark, Nancy and Rory on March 9th. (Don't know if I heard back early because I was in the first batch of interviewees - but it's possible)

Yesterday afternoon (around 11:30 AM) I got a phone call from Nancy letting me know that I had been accepted into the program.

I had applied for a full ride scholarship that we found out I was not eligible for anymore because of where I live, so she said that they are recommending me for the Graduate Opportunity Fellowship Program instead.

She said I should expect a formal e-mail to come in soon, but that she just wanted to call and let me know before I got the e-mail.

Let me know if there is anymore info I can give you guys. Keeping my fingers crossed for everyone here!

Congrats!! And FYI I was interviewed on the 15th so I don’t think the date has much to do with anything. When I spoke to Becky yesterday, she said she had to “input everyone’s info into the system” and that she would try to do it last night but I’m not sure if she did yet since I’ve yet to receive an official email.

Congrats!! And FYI I was interviewed on the 15th so I don’t think the date has much to do with anything. When I spoke to Becky yesterday, she said she had to “input everyone’s info into the system” and that she would try to do it last night but I’m not sure if she did yet since I’ve yet to receive an official email.

Congrats to you too!

Yeah I have yet to receive an e-mail as well, but I will let you guys know when it shows up.

You also got into NYU? Just out of curiosity, how are you weighing those two options?

Congrats to you too!

Yeah I have yet to receive an e-mail as well, but I will let you guys know when it shows up.

You also got into NYU? Just out of curiosity, how are you weighing those two options?

There is so much to consider that I may end up just making a new thread to get other people's input. Long story short, money is going to play a significant factor and I'm waiting for NYU's final financial aid package to come through. I essentially asked for more money last night from them after receiving the UCLA news but I think I got off on the wrong foot because apparently aid packages aren't finalized for them yet even though I already received my award letter. And the person in charge is out of office until April 1 so it's more waiting for me. I will say for a long, long time and even currently, I am drawn to NYU due to a bunch of factors (plus it was my dream school, even over the other schools I was rejected by) and I did have a bad experience with UCLA several years ago, but they seem to really like me which is kind of winning me over...

EDIT: also I wish we knew the stats for receiving the fellowship since you need to accept their admissions offer first apparently

There is so much to consider that I may end up just making a new thread to get other people's input. Long story short, money is going to play a significant factor and I'm waiting for NYU's final financial aid package to come through. I essentially asked for more money last night from them after receiving the UCLA news but I think I got off on the wrong foot because apparently aid packages aren't finalized for them yet even though I already received my award letter. And the person in charge is out of office until April 1 so it's more waiting for me. I will say for a long, long time and even currently, I am drawn to NYU due to a bunch of factors (plus it was my dream school, even over the other schools I was rejected by) and I did have a bad experience with UCLA several years ago, but they seem to really like me which is kind of winning me over...

EDIT: also I wish we knew the stats for receiving the fellowship since you need to accept their admissions offer first apparently

Yeah the money feels like such an overwhelming part of it. It's going to be hard to make this decision without knowing 100% what the financial aid packages look like.

AFI is structured the same way, which sucks- you have to accept their admissions offer first before they give your your complete financial aid offer.

In your opinion, what are the strengths of each program at NYU & UCLA?

Yeah the money feels like such an overwhelming part of it. It's going to be hard to make this decision without knowing 100% what the financial aid packages look like.

AFI is structured the same way, which sucks- you have to accept their admissions offer first before they give your your complete financial aid offer.

In your opinion, what are the strengths of each program at NYU & UCLA?

I will say that I am also considering my personal life and how happy I'd be in each city, but if we're looking at JUST the programs themselves...

First Year Curriculum:
UCLA has you making two films, I believe, while crewing on everyone else's. One two-minute film and one six-minute film with no restrictions except for the length. This may be on top of other classes you take, which include theory/history courses, something that I actually like. NYU has you making two films, one silent (shot on film) and a documentary on a person, shot by yourself or with another person. Their approach is to instill a sense of discipline in the craft. So overall, NYU seems more focused on solely the art/craft of filmmaking and working toward your thesis whereas UCLA is more comprehensive.

NYC is easier to shoot exteriors since you don't need a permit if you're not blocking foot traffic whereas I hear it's harder to shoot places in LA. I do like the diverse landscapes in LA-- like you could drive an hour and be either in the mountains, the desert, or the beach. Both have fairly decent soundstages.

I will say that during my interview with UCLA, two different professors told me conflicting things about the equipment. One said the equipment was not exactly state-of-the-art but they were most interested in teaching storytelling while the other said that wasn't true. I think NYU does have better equipment though with just as good an education on storytelling.

NYU seems to have the historical reputation of supporting filmmaking from marginalized communities (which matters to me) and is, from what everyone tells me, the program for independent filmmakers. UCLA seems to have undergone some changes in the past few years (with being closer to the screenwriting/producing program and changing from 4 required years to 3) and with all the schools I've researched, including talking to students, they seem to be trying to brand themselves as a more progressive school on the West Coast (compared to AFI/USC)

The facilities at NYU are definitely nicer than UCLA but UCLA being a public school and publicly funded, that has a certain charm to me. But UCLA's campus itself is really nice but as a graduate student several years removed from undergrad, that matters less to me.

Last edited:
Hello, just a quick question. Has anybody who interviewed in March 22nd received messages/calls from the school? Thanks!
Nope, haven't heard anything. I feel like they may have already admitted their group, and now anything else will probably just be waitlists or denials. But thats just me assuming..or using deductive reasoning lol.

Nope, haven't heard anything. I feel like they may have already admitted their group, and now anything else will probably just be waitlists or denials. But thats just me assuming..or using deductive reasoning lol.

I also haven’t heard anything and definitely share your suspicions @zokage_ . Last year some groups of people were notified at least a week between one another so there’s still a possibility only a handful have been notified so far.

Alright, everyone, I need some advice. I got accepted to LMU, and they initially wanted me to commit by March 26. I managed to get an extension until April 1. But I interviewed with UCLA on March 16 and haven't heard a yes or no from them.

If I haven't heard back from UCLA yet, what are my chances of getting a yes? It kinda seems like they send out the yes' first and then the no's. I read earlier that someone got a reply from them on a Sunday, so I'm hoping they send something in the next 2 days.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back