USC MFA Writing for Screen & Television (Screenwriting) 2021 (2 Viewers)

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member

ngs091

Well.... I got my rejection letter.

The good news, however, after applying twice in four years... I think I realized now why I got these rejections.

I can't swear to it... but in short after looking on the website, I now realize that I CLEARLY can't read directions.

The samples I submitted for the Elevator and Dinner prompts were supposed to be mere single scenes.

I fucking (sorry) submitted full stories in that one location/situation and within the page count. I mean I had a clear conflict and a structure, a character arc, a twist etc....

I am pretty sure I shot myself in the foot with that. Unless someone who got accepted did the same?

Last edited:

theMorrigan

Supporter+
Also got rejection letter. I did get an email stamped around 1:30AM PST. Still waiting to hear from LMU, so I haven't given up all hope yet for this cycle. Particularly because I really fell in love with LMU's program as I delved into their curriculum and the energy and passion from the faculty with whom I interviewed.

@ngs091 I really hope that wasn't a mark against you. I've read challenge scenes from people accepted over the last few cycles that did the same thing. I've also read a number of articles here on filmschool.org that emphasize a point that may be hard to accept as we deal with the rejection -- but we should hold onto it like a mantra:

Great writers, great storytellers, get rejected every year because we may not fit the cohort the admissions committee crafts. And because USC accepts 32 of thousands of applicants. If we know in our souls, in our hearts and bones, that we're meant to create, then we take the rejection and keep on writing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sitting here picking apart everything I submitted to USC (and everything I said in my LMU interview) and trying to figure out where I went wrong, too. But I want to believe we'll get the right YES. And maybe that's not USC. Or maybe not USC this year. But I'm a closet optimist, so...

@katiebonnie and @Inkie9 for you as well, I hope that we all get better news from our other applications.

ngs091

Thanks
Also got rejection letter. I did get an email stamped around 1:30AM PST. Still waiting to hear from LMU, so I haven't given up all hope yet for this cycle. Particularly because I really fell in love with LMU's program as I delved into their curriculum and the energy and passion from the faculty with whom I interviewed.

@ngs091 I really hope that wasn't a mark against you. I've read challenge scenes from people accepted over the last few cycles that did the same thing. I've also read a number of articles here on filmschool.org that emphasize a point that may be hard to accept as we deal with the rejection -- but we should hold onto it like a mantra:

Great writers, great storytellers, get rejected every year because we may not fit the cohort the admissions committee crafts. And because USC accepts 32 of thousands of applicants. If we know in our souls, in our hearts and bones, that we're meant to create, then we take the rejection and keep on writing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sitting here picking apart everything I submitted to USC (and everything I said in my LMU interview) and trying to figure out where I went wrong, too. But I want to believe we'll get the right YES. And maybe that's not USC. Or maybe not USC this year. But I'm a closet optimist, so...

@katiebonnie and @Inkie9 for you as well, I hope that we all get better news from our other applications.
Thanks for the well wishes!

Ya.. you are right... that was more me too picking apart my pieces. So much that I am like 'did this one minor word repetition between paragraphs on page 5 do it?' Haha!

No idea what went wrong. Even if I would love to know. But like I said further up this discussion, it often comes down to taste and is kind of a crapshoot.

But I am still waiting on other schools. So we will see!

And good luck to you all too!

Last edited:

katiebonnie

Supporter

It's such a hard one and this is a very strange year too. I never actually thought I would get in so it's not much of a surprise but still disappointing.

I'm wondering if any of the accepted applicants would be willing to share their materials? I found the autobiographical character sketch really hard and wasn't happy with it even when I submitted so would love to read some successful samples before I try again next cycle.

imenergetic

Supporter
Rejected here too! So relieved to know! I really hate having things hang over my head.

sraz

Supporter
Got a rejection letter too. Just wondering what everyone's letter says - mine says that the faculty suggests building my portfolio and reapplying in the future. Wondering if there's any significance in that or if I'm reading too much into it.

ngs091

Got a rejection letter too. Just wondering what everyone's letter says - mine says that the faculty suggests building my portfolio and reapplying in the future. Wondering if there's any significance in that or if I'm reading too much into it.
Probably! I got an obvious form letter.

Edit: Whoops... I actually got that too in the first paragraph. I skimmed the first time I read it. But.... ya... it is an obvious form letter, though. At least for me.

Last edited:

llueve

Supporter
Also got my rejection. Man, I tell ya, it smarts! Silly me, I thought my materials were gonna get an acceptance.

Makes me feel better though to see others in the same boat, not out of pettiness, but makes me feel like OK, other applicants who to me seemed really really great also didn't get an acceptance, I'm in good company in that sense.

Thanks everyone for building community on this wild ride!

Just wondering what everyone's letter says - mine says that the faculty suggests building my portfolio and reapplying in the future. Wondering if there's any significance in that or if I'm reading too much into it.

Mine said the same thing: "Nonetheless, the School of Cinematic Arts faculty recommended that you continue to build your portfolio and reapply for a future semester."

And I took it to be something they put into every letter. Sorry to be the bearer of more bad news :(

ngs091

All that said... as others I am still waiting on Chapman and Cal State Northridge.

However, if any of you want to add me on social media, here is my Facebook......

And/or if you want to shoot the shit about movies... here is my Mubi profile where I have 1,700+ capsule film reviews.....

Abbey Normal

Supporter+
Ugh...got my rejection letter/email. I really thought my application was strong lol. And it was vetted by a staff writer and a fellow MFA writer haha. Oh well, guess I was not Trojan material.

Still waiting on Chapman, UT Austin................and NYU (???)

Really hope I get into AFI cause that is my number one choice.

For everyone else, I feel ya! Rejection hurts, but it's part of the writing life. Keep at it. I'll be having myself a glass of whiskey on behalf of everyone here.

Congrats to those who were accepted!!! Plz hire me when you become a showrunner. Cheers! :)

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
Got my rejection this morning, didn't get an email but I checked my portal. Letter was dated March 2nd but the portal updated overnight so I got it this morning (4th March). Good luck everyone!

Same here, no email but rejection letter was on the portal dated 2nd March. At least now we know and can try to move on I guess. Wishing everyone good luck!

Well.... I got my rejection letter.

The good news, however, after applying twice in four years... I think I realized now why I got these rejections.

I can't swear to it... but in short after looking on the website, I now realize that I CLEARLY can't read directions.

The samples I submitted for the Elevator and Dinner prompts were supposed to be mere single scenes.

I fucking (sorry) submitted full stories in that one location/situation and within the page count. I mean I had a clear structure, a character arc, etc....

I am pretty sure I shot myself in the foot with that. Unless someone who got accepted did the same?

Got my USC rejection too. I feel relieved in a way. Still waiting to hear back from AFI and Chapman 🤞🏽

Same here! Got my rejection 2 hours ago. I received a email asking to check the portal and it was there.

Still waiting to hear back from other schools!

Rejected here too! So relieved to know! I really hate having things hang over my head.

Got my rejection this morning too. Definitely stings to see the fine print right now, but at least the band aid was ripped off.
Bummer! But take this in a positive way as a chance to further hone your skills and keep writing and creating. Use it as motivation to move forward.

I'm wondering if any of the accepted applicants would be willing to share their materials?

There's some in the database such as @Septopus7 but yes if people could update their applications in the database with as much as they can share would be an awesome help to people. Some have already done that for this year.

Mine said the same thing: "Nonetheless, the School of Cinematic Arts faculty recommended that you continue to build your portfolio and reapply for a future semester."
Yes! Keep applying! Do not give up! Some people applied many times before getting in.

After Three Years of Rejection, I Got Into The Two Best Film Schools in The World. Here Are The Five Things I Learned...

After Three Years of Rejection, I Got Into The Two Best Film Schools in The World. Here Are The Five Things I Learned...

So...you’re applying for film school, huh? I mean, that’s just my assumption. Not sure why you would bother reading this otherwise, especially with where we are currently in The Cycle of Applications. These next couple weeks are pretty much when all the major film school programs have their...

aaaaa

I'm wondering if any of the accepted applicants would be willing to share their materials?
I didn’t get accepted but I’m curious about other people’s submissions too. I’d be down to trade. Is anyone else open to share their scenes and their autobiographical character sketch?
If so...how does one direct message on here? Hmmm

Add your film school application to our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Add Application…

Student Films Made at Film Programs

A248
Views
Reaction score
In the midst of a global pandemic, a very paranoid vampire orders contactless food delivery.
Film Program
Loyola Marymount University
Course
PROD 685
Film Type
Assignment
Genre
Comedy
Duration/Running Time
1:24
Film Completion
Aug 1, 2020
Colella612
Updated
3.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Views
Reaction score
Reviews
Questions
After the light bulb on her film projector burns out, an elderly woman must confront a nightmarish world as well as the trauma of her past as she seeks to find a replacement before her memories are lost forever.
Film Program
Course
Directing Short Film II: Visual Story
Film Type
Assignment
Genre
Drama
Duration/Running Time
5:58
Film Completion
May 3, 2021
A248
Views
Reaction score
An artist invites an especially harsh critic to her studio for an exclusive preview of her latest work.
Film Program
Course
PROD 550
Film Type
Assignment
Genre
Horror
Duration/Running Time
6:01
Film Completion
May 1, 2019

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Add your own Application to our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications