1. The FilmSchool.org community has been helping people apply to film school since 2002. Log in or Create an Account and get your film school questions answered. (It's free!)

AFI 2017

Discussion in 'Graduate Film School Discussions' started by Jason Hedy, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Jason Hedy

Jason Hedy Director

Ratings:
    +6
    Hey everyone! I didn't see a thread for AFI this year (maybe I missed it), so I made one if anyone's waiting for admissions decisions or interviews. Kinda late in the game to start a thread for this, but I'd like to meet everyone who applied for all the different disciplines! :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. BadouBoy

BadouBoy Member

Ratings:
    +59
    Hey Jason! I applied for Directing and had a skype interview last month. It's late but better late than never right?

3. Heisenberg91

Heisenberg91 Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Screenwriters get decision on April 4.

4. Cortezbros.

Cortezbros. New Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I'm assuming all of the AFI directing interviews are over, right?

5. BadouBoy

BadouBoy Member

Ratings:
    +59
    According to the spreadsheet, there's two on the 14th so no.

6. Nora

Nora New Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Afi candidates! Thanks for creating this thread, was checking out posts with Afi posts. I am an international applicant and scheduled to have an interview on March 14th via Skype for directing program. Wondering if anyone could kindly share their interview experiences here. That will somewhat ease the tension)))

• Like Like x 1
    • Congratulations! Congratulations! x 1
  7. Heisenberg91

Heisenberg91 Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Interview was a relaxed conversation: what kind of movies do you like, how do you feel about rewriting, how will you fund your MFA...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Nora

Nora New Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Do you mind sharing your interview experience?)))) I'm catching up with watching recent films to get myself into the mood of upcoming interview. Not sure whether this is good tactic though))) getting nervous

• Like Like x 2
  9. Nora

Nora New Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Great to know it was relaxed one! Question about funds must be the tough one. I tend not to think about it till I have to...

10. Heisenberg91

Heisenberg91 Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Actually, they just kind of mention the funds, not focusing on it a lot.

They asked me about the film industry in my country, how do people get into it...

Other questions were: what did your parents think of your decision to pursue screenwriting , how do you feel about rewriting...

• Like Like x 1
  11. BadouBoy

BadouBoy Member

Ratings:
    +59
    Ha! I watched Touki Bouki, one of my favorite films right before my interview (it was over Skype) and it was a beautiful experience. I think the nervousness heightened my senses and made me really take it all in. It was great motivation.

Anyway as @Heisenberg91 said, it really is just a relaxed conversation. They asked me to say something about myself, then what I felt I could have done differently in my portfolio submissions, who my favorite directors were, films I've watched and books I've read recently. They did also ask how I plan to my fund my degree- I guess it's important since it seems to run across the answers I've seen. They also asked if I had any questions (I always ask 2 or 3) and then that was it.

The interviewers were very friendly and patient, unlike my other interview where they literally told me they were in a hurry. As cliche as it sounds I'd say just relax and be yourself.
    All the best!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Nora

Nora New Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I will have to watch that film myself, intrigued with its description!
    thank you so much for extensively sharing your experience with us, good luck to you!!!
    Have you applied to any other schools?
    I only applied to AFI, as most appealing out of all. I also liked the vibe of Calarts, but not to the extent of taking time to apply. Was going through some serious hardships at the time of application and thus was able to try my first and only choice with AFI. Will see how it goes. Cheers for now!

• Like Like x 2
  13. SaltyDornishman

SaltyDornishman Fixin' it in post

Ratings:
    +32
    I'm too anxious to sleep. So, it seems to me that no interview is aligned with no admittance... I hope I get an interview :/

• Hang in there! Hang in there! x 2
  14. BadouBoy

BadouBoy Member

Ratings:
    +59
    You're welcome. I also applied to NYU and the Kino Eyes program in Europe. I really wanted to apply to UCLA and Columbia, but funding opportunities was on the top of my priorities.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Heisenberg91

Heisenberg91 Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I'm a little concerned about the controversy regarding AFI's dean. Anyone know anything about this ?

16. SaltyDornishman

Ratings:
    +32
    So, I just looked this up and it concerns me, primarily because I am currently in a small film program that is going through it's own period of transition. There's a lot of politics and bureaucracy involved that has sort of made talking about our program somewhat awkward. And it just feels like all of the current students are being shafted and the problems won't be fixed until after we've all graduated. It really makes some of the students (including myself) feel as though we aren't getting the most out of our program or what are program could be (which I guess is contradictory). I would hate to graduate from one program like that just to find myself in another one. Maybe AFI's issues will be solved quickly. I hope so.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Heisenberg91

Heisenberg91 Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Damn. That sounds terrible. AFI was my number one choice. But now I don't know.

18. BadouBoy

BadouBoy Member

Ratings:
    +59
    It came up back when it happened here and a one of the site members in AFI commented on it. Check the thread Big Shake Up @ AFI

• Like Like x 1
  19. SaltyDornishman

Ratings:
    +32
    Received an email regarding financial aid not too long ago. Could be nothing, but at least AFI is stirring.

20. revolotus

revolotus Member

Ratings:
    +20
    I just got the AFI Financial Aid info as well. I'm over here looking at every piece of information like I'm going to divine some deeper meaning from it. April 4 is too far away.

• Funny Funny x 1