AFI - NEED HELP

Hoeks

After giving up all my hope, I just got a phonecall from AFI for an Interview this Sunday. April 15 was their decision time...wow.

I NEVER had an interview before but I usually do real well with just being me and being relaxed. Anyway. I am asking for ANY hints, tips, suggestions that coould be useful to get this spot.

It's for the Masters Directing programm.

I'm probablly too late on this one, but the key terms you probablly want to drop in that interview are storytelling (Obviously), collaboration and sub-text. The only other advice I would have would be to be yourself and be confident. While most people who's interviews go "Great" get in, many admits that feel their interview goes "Terribly" still get in as well. In other words, don't stress too much if it doesn't go according to plan.

Hope that helps!

Nota "In debt, but still alive" Mono

it went real well

I mentioned I know austin schmidt and you. So if they ask you about me, just tell them u know me from the internet:)

every question went pretty good except that they saw my first cut of my film instead of the later ones I send to them...so I gave them a brand new reel and I hope they will take a look.

They seemed to appreciate a lot that I not only directed but Dpt a lot and worked as a gaffer/grip/electrician/AC on tens of movies.

We also had a great discussion about lukas moddyson, the swedish director:)

I dunno...I really have high hopes and I will be dissapointed if I dont get in...because I fell kinda in love with the campus haha

oh yea nota, they said you are a great student haha:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey,

I actually remember both of you from a couple years ago when I would frequent this message board a little more; I still kind of haunt it. I had interview with a list of programs, didn't get into a single one and my interview two years ago with AFI was terrible”¦

I moved out to LA anyway, shot a couple new films got accepted into Columbia last year (only school I applied to), paid my deposit and got set to go”¦and then this depression hit me like a bomb shell”¦I really, really love LA now and I just couldn't see myself leaving (knew way too many people, had connections at post houses and such”¦couldn't leave and really only wanted to go to AFI. So it was the only place I applied to this year). Love NYC, but when you're home you're home.

I had my director's program interview with AFI last Monday. I think it went really well this time around, I'd be surprised if I didn't get in (and if I don't it's not because I bombed my interview this time, it'd probably be because of my film; I know there's a lot of talented people trying to get in).

I only “bombed” one part in particular”¦we were in one of the professor's offices (I think it was McBride's, but it could have been Markham's) and he had pictures of classic directors hanging around the wall. Now, I know my directors just fine, but I couldn't tell you what a lot of them looked like in person (namely Fritz Lang, Truffaut, as an older man, not when he was younger, and David Lean).

They didn't give me hard time or anything, but a felt pretty stupid because my undergrad film school was more theory based. And our conversation before was about my own personal film snob hero Robert Bresson.

I really want to get in a lot now, I'm still obsessive about film, but I've been trying real hard not to obsess about the admissions process for school anymore”¦I'm more worried about the debt I'm gonna have if I do get in...but I'm sure this last week is going to be brutal.

Good luck”¦

“Peace is but a breath away...”

-The chick who opened her legs in Basic Instinct

ha awesome. I hope we both get in:)

I count every day. If something will break me it is my portfolio. I updated it yesterday and asked them nicely to take another look and it is much better now.

They actually asked me whoch other school I applied to and I told them AFI was the only choice and they were surprised and said looks like you really want to get into it...might be a good sign, might be a bad sign...ah well..no need to think too much about it

Hey Guys,

I've been reading this message board alot lately and felt like I should finally get in on this whole admission process lament session.

In any event, I've applied to AFI, USC, UCLA, NYU, Columbia, UTexas and FSU. I've had interviews with AFI and FSU and think that AFI is definetly my first choice, but FSU doesn't sound too shabby for what you pay.

I just got accepted to USC for Spring 07 today, and am still very anxious to hear back from AFI and FSU. The others have all been either rejections or wait-list.

I am not really sure how my interview with AFI went, it was my first interview of any sort, and I found it a bit intimidating. Gill Dennis - one of the writers of Walk the Line - interviewed me. FSU went alot smoother I thought, but I still hope that I get into AFI.

I am still only an undergrad at Cornell University so I think that the fact that I am so young has been a great detriment to me so far, but I am hoping I get lucky.

I just wanted to ask you Hoeks, did they tell you any reason why they were interviewing you so late? I got informed of my interview mid-late Feb and had my interview early March. A friend of mine in the directing program told me they don't always accept 28, and sometimes only take 15-20, so I figured that they must not have found enough applicants they felt were qualified . If that is the case I wonder how that fares for me. In any event good luck to all, I hope we all get in.

MiR - That was the one thing I thought was weird when I had my interview this year; when I interviewed two years ago, it was around March 10th, this year it was March 28th”¦your assumption might be right about the supplemental interviews, but I'd look at it as a good thing if you had your interview earlier”¦ did you have yours in Maryland? That's where I had mine in 2004 (with Gil Dennis too, thought he was a good guy, but I definitely felt like my interview (for both Screenwriting and Directing that year) was a disaster.

Hey DB- Yeah it was in Silver Spring. Gill was a great guy, I also met with Joe Petricca. I thought my interview could have been a disaster, I don't think it was easy by any means, but I think I handled it as well as I possibly could have given that it was my first interview and I had to get over the initial butterflies. No point in dwelling over the specifics now, but just out of curiousity what made you think yours went poorly the first time? Or for Hoeks- what made you feel like yours went great?

I don't mean to pry, I am just curious.

MiR - What kinds of questions did they ask you in your FSU interview? Also, who were the faculty members interviewing you? I have an interview for the BFA program at FSU this week and I'm a bit nervous about it. Thanks.

Just curious, but what do they look at for the graduate program at AFI? Just curiousity. I'm an acoustical engineering student who makes films for fun and I've always been rather curious at film students. What does that portfolio I saw mentioned consist of? Like just a list of films worked on, or DVDs with a lot of your films on them?

first of all, receiving an interview early might be a very good thing. I am actually wondering why I got one in april...definitely not because my portfolio was great. I would not worry at all.

Well I had a good feeling after the interview because I answered all the questions easily and the whole thing seemed more like a chat than anything else. I could have asked more questions about the program probably. We had a nice chat about Lukas Moodyson and his films, we talked a bit about my past and they seemed to like it that I crewed in almost every position before and that I did not only Direct at NYU but also Shot, Gaffed, Gripped, Produced and what not.

I might also be entirely wrong. I do not have too much experience with interviews and just hope that I get in. I love the school and I could not imagine to go anywhere else.

To adress Gohanto's issue: The portfolio is an essay and a film of yours or anything film related that shows your skills as a storyteller. I do think they prefer a short film.

Why do you guys think your interview went not too well? I know, there might be no need to discuss such things but that is all we have to do to survive the next 10 days.

The timing of the interview could be a location thing too ”¦the one I had in Silver Spring a couple years ago was early as well”¦can't really say exactly why I felt like my interview went really bad the first time (2004), but I guess it's the same as when you're trying to talk to someone you're attracted to and you can't really tell “why” their not digging your game, you just know they don't ”¦I gave them way too much exposition for my film (they're smart people and it probably seem condescending for a twenty-one year old to assume they didn't get something)”¦and as clichéd as this sounds, I worried too much about what I thought they wanted to hear instead of what I wanted to say”¦

This time I felt like it was really more of a conversation, too”¦it was funny because the questions seemed really similar to the first time and I had in my own nerdy way already played out a million times what I would have said if I got a second chance. And I did, so I did”¦every film school interview I had, I knew if I got in or not the moment it ended”¦this is really the first time, I'm at a loss”¦I think the Interview went about as good as it could go”¦but as NotaMono alluded to; I really think it comes down to the portfolio and if they feel like you'd be good for the program. I think interviewers probably even find students with really good films and terrible interviews a little endearing”¦the only real thing that freaked me out was that last time I interviewed for both the Screenwriting and Directing and didn't even get wait listed for either. They definitely interview an enough people”¦but like you said, no more worrying about it anymore”¦we'll all know by next Friday.

My weakness will be the portfolio IF they wont take a second look at my updated portfolio I handed in a day after the interview.

First portfolio: first rough cut of my thesis (terrible)

last portfolio: locked cut and MUCh better. (www.nightfallsfilm.com)

Is anybody else waiting to hear back from AFI about screenwriting? I interviewed in Maryland in mid-March and thought it went well from a friendliness/casual/funny perspective, but maybe not as well from a "let me prove to you I can write" perspective. Phone calls on April 14 for everyone who got in, right?

So I heard. Phone call or mail response?

We need to stop talking about this, it gets unbearable.

by the way NOTA, in case you need crew for an AFI film, I am pretty much around all the time and can help you in any department (experience as Gaffer, AC, DP and what not with 35mm).

I am waiting for my car and I got plenty of time to work on anything really.

Don't want to crush or make anyone feel nervous or anything (cause I don't got all the info), but in the past I wanted to know whatever information I could get as quick as I could get it...I got my call last night from AFI for the directing program; I'm assuming they'll be calling over the next couple days, because I missed the call last night, returned the call and they called back again today...they're sending the official letters at the end of the week, no more information at the moment; good luck if you're still waiting and congrats if you gotta a call too...

DB- you got a call yesterday as in Monday? Wow, much earlier than the 14th (the date they told me they were calling). Just out of curiousity around what time did they call you? (I am assuming that your in PST)
I hope that haven't made all their calls yet..
In any event, I am taking it that the phone call means your in! Congratulations!
I am a nervous wreck, I can't wait to hear. Whatever happens at least I have USC to fall back on. Though I still have yet to hear from FSU. I'll keep you guys posted as soon as I hear.

I got the call about 4 o'clock yesterday (LA Time) and about 10 o'clock today. I was called by one of the professors (Markham)that I interviewed with, so I'm assuming it's really going to be up to a specific professor for when they decide to make their calls (I can't see one professor calling everybody, so I'm sure they'll be calling all week. And I'm assuming the university might be closed on Friday).

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back