CSU MFA Screenwriting Programs

I live fairly close and it's on my way to work, so it shouldn't be too bad. I'm just nervous because there's a chance they'll reject me in person. That won't be fun!

Just weird they won't tell you anything, but will let you "come in" for some reason or another. You went to UCLA undergrad. Um, yeah.

For those who accepted CSUN's offer of admission, have any of you looked at the class schedule yet? I know we can't enroll yet (my appointment is at the end of June). I noticed in my admissions letter that the class marked "CTVA 512" is called "Graduate Screenwriting Workshop" yet in the online class schedule it seems to be a Film Theory seminar. So I'm wondering if we have to take both the Theory and History of Cinema (labeled CTVA 500) AND the Film Theory one? Seems kinda odd for a Screenwriting degree to have to do 2 history/theory courses, even during the first semester. I would have at least thought it would be 1 history/theory course and 2 screenwriting courses. A bit confused.

Fall 2012 CSUN Classmates: Have people been able to enroll in classes yet? I can only enroll in CTVA 512 (Advanced Scene Writing). When I tried registering for CTVA 500 and CTVA 595E, the system wouldn't let me. I'll e-mail the instructor. Just wondering if anyone else was having these issues, too.

Trucherrygirl,

Okay, this is my first post. I've barely lurked here throughout the last few years, but I wanted to reply to you.

I am a graduate of CSUN, B.A. in Cinema, emphasis in Screenwriting. I'll give you some pros and cons.

pros: I really enjoyed the campus. I love hot weather so I loved being in the valley. Facilities were decent.

cons: Not very respected within the industry, though the rep seemed to be growing, and is closer to the industry than most state schools.

Teachers to definitely take:
Edson - I never had him and regret it. Heard great things.

Halloran - lecture classes. He takes his work seriously and is very open-minded about form and artistry.

Friedman - She was and still is basically my mentor, but is not full time there. She was teaching the "Episodic Drama course for the grad students, which I was able to take as an undergrad. She wrote for tv for 20+ years and for someone who wants to write for TV she would be great to take a course from. Not sure if she will be there when you are there or not.

Avoid:
Krasilovsky - never in class, has T.A. teaching
Portnoy - lazy, doesn't care, pompous

Without tooting my own horn, I was much more skilled than almost everyone in my screenwriting classes, and seemed to "want it" a lot more.

There were some decent writers in the graduate TV writing class that I took. But there were also many that seemed to be brand new to screenwriting, and also weren't very promising.

I just completed the professional course at UCLA and plan on applying for several MFA programs this fall, but I wouldn't go to CSUN for it (in part because I already went there).

You will get a lot of people talking down CSUN, get used to it, and don't sweat it. It will be what you make of it. When I was there, for reasons I won't go in to, I didn't take advantage of some great internship opportunities.

Some people in my undergrad classes, and a grad assistant T.A. were interning at major studios in development department. Not a bad way to make connections for a CSU student paying bottom of the barrel costs to attend.

If nothing else, you'll graduate with a master's degree, some real solid, resume worthy experience, a couple decent scripts, and less debt than I'm going to have (much much less. Lol).

I also regret not making too many friends while at CSUN. I was busy with other things. The people were generally nice, the ladies were hot, and the atmosphere was cool. It was a fun school to go to. Have a great experience.
I can try to answer any questions you might have.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back