1. The FilmSchool.org community has been helping people apply to film school since 2002. Log in or Create an Account and get your film school questions answered.
  2. Did you go to film school for undergrad? Please review the school on our Film School review system. (You can review anonymously)
    Dismiss Notice

LMU Film School Applications 2018

Discussion in 'Graduate Film School Discussions' started by Nacho, Dec 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Chris W

Chris W Get Busy Living Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +334
    Awesome. Congratulations. My wife got her master's at LMU (but in education) and she enjoyed it.

Don't forget about the new private groups feature here on the site as another way to keep in touch with fellow students.

Groups | FilmSchool.org - The Best Film School Reviews & Forums

Let me know if you have any questions.

2. Chris W

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +334
    The groups feature is basically like one big private conversation where you can upload photos and have private threads and discussion viewable only by members of a group that you invite. (If you choose those privacy options when creating the group)

Create group using this link.

#82 Chris W, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  3. xLorenzoM

xLorenzoM Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +45
    hey, so what do you plan on doing about your living situation when you move to LA?

4. xLorenzoM

xLorenzoM Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I was wondering, is anyone planning on living at Playa Del Oro?

5. Izzy

Izzy New Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I'm hoping too!

6. Teddy

Teddy Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Yeah I am for the first year. Not sure after that.

• Like Like x 1
  7. xLorenzoM

xLorenzoM Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Did you do the housing application? Idk if it randomly chooses our roommate.

8. Teddy

Teddy Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Yeah I did. There are questions about your general lifestyle (when you sleep, how clean you like a room), which I assume will have an influence on roommate selection. There was also an opportunity to try to request a specific person, but I didn't do that.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. xLorenzoM

xLorenzoM Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +45
    They’re saying Playa Del Oro is full. Did anyone figure out what they’re doing for housing?

10. Jason

Jason Member

Ratings:
    +29
    As someone who lives in that area I wouldn't live in Playa Del Oro. It's way overpriced for what you'll get. Maybe try looking more towards Marina Del Ray (even a bit east of Lincoln) and around Abbot Kinney in Venice. Some areas of Mar Vista are beyond beautiful and very close to the school.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Chris W

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +334
    I lived in Palms which is next to Mar Vista. Also a good area and now there's a subway line there... But it won't take you to LMU.. just Santa Monica. My wife commuted from Palms to LMU and it was a 20 minute or so drive.

12. ALFQin

ALFQin New Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Did anyone receive the replys about scholarships? I was wondering if LMU really give students scholarships....I am an international student and now I must confirm whether I get a scholarship in processing I20...I was not able to reach out to the department after I paid the deposit...Help me guys, please

13. xLorenzoM

xLorenzoM Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +45
    If you speak to Karol she might be able to help you.

• Like Like x 1
  14. xLorenzoM

xLorenzoM Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I would love to live anywhere but I would mostly be paying for rent with financial aid? I wouldn’t be able to afford anything my first year since graduate housing comes out of tuition.

15. xLorenzoM

xLorenzoM Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Did everyone get their housing situation sorted out already?

16. Matthew

Matthew New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone heard a rumor that LMU is having trouble filling seats for Production in the Fall 2018? I've heard the same about Chapman. That they're calling applicants who decided on another school to offer the money to attend. If anyone has any insight into this, please share.

17. Teddy

Teddy Member

Ratings:
    +12
    No - I found out on Wednesday that I was put on a housing waitlist because they had so much interest this year. I was going to do Playa del Oro the first year and then figure something else out the other two years when I had a better sense of things, but I have to figure something else out now...

18. SavSolo

SavSolo New Member

Ratings:
    +8
    No not yet, I’m looking into other places since Playa del Oro was way overpriced and now full.

19. xLorenzoM

xLorenzoM Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +45
    same boat. it might work out for the better though. i blew up everyone’s phone and all they can say is that they’re “trying” to find another housing which doesn’t sound too definitive.

i’m thinking of doing an airbnb the first month so i can scope out the area since i’m coming from out of state. if i can find a 1/1 somewhat
    nearby for around 1600/1700 that’ll work out better than paying 1800 with roommates.

20. xLorenzoM

xLorenzoM Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +45
    It’ll work out. 1/1’s in certain places in LA might come out slightly cheaper. or if you can split a 2/2 in a nicer place it’ll be worth it. Also try to see if you can get the $5k scholarship they offer. I spoke to Karol and she made it happen for me.

I’m a bit worried ‘cause I don’t that have that much money to move to LA with on top of my own bills but we just gotta trust it’ll work out.