Hi!

I'm applying for Loyola Marymount University's film writing MFA program for Fall 2020.

Which prompt are you doing?

At the beginning or end of the scene, a hand holds a knife.
A character has to say goodbye to a friend without actually saying they are leaving and won't be back.
A lovers' quarrel where something gets broken.
An animal plays a key role.
The first line of dialogue is: "That's the guy, right there."

And which sample are you including?

One feature-length screenplay or teleplay (half-hour or one-hour; spec or pilot).
The second sample may be a feature-length screenplay or teleplay (half-hour or one-hour; spec or pilot), although we recommend you submit a short story or a one-act play.

The video prompt is kind of stressing me out. I kind of want to look through the forums for tips. But I think I'm just gonna do it and not risk overthinking it.

Anyone else applying?

Hi! I'll also be applying for the first time this year. I'm doing the "A character has to say goodbye to a friend without actually saying they are leaving" prompt, and I'll be including a pilot as a sample. I'm definitely stressed about the video prompt too! I think just giving it a shot and not overthinking it is the best plan. I know I always get caught up in trying to make everything look and sound perfect, but I don't think that's what they want, since it's unscripted. Good luck with all your materials!

Hi guys! Do you know if the second writing sample is mandatory? Are you sending two writing samples? I'm so nervous thinking that my second sample is not good enough :(

I was also wondering about the second writing sample. Since it says "may be a feature-length screenplay or teleplay (half-hour or one-hour; spec or pilot) although we recommend you submit a short story or a one-act play" does that mean you only have those options? Can you submit a short film in screenplay format for example?

I was also wondering about the second writing sample. Since it says "may be a feature-length screenplay or teleplay (half-hour or one-hour; spec or pilot) although we recommend you submit a short story or a one-act play" does that mean you only have those options? Can you submit a short film in screenplay format for example?
I sent them an email, and I'm uploading a show bible as my second writing sample. I think they're flexible about it, but ask them just to be sure ?

Last edited:
The interviews are only 15 minutes long. Does anyone find that odd? I wonder what they want to know in such a short time frame.

I'm getting so anxious with the interview, I really don't know what to expect :( Has anyone had an interview yet?

Last edited:
Hello! I just had the interview! I was apparently the very, very first interview, so good luck to everyone still scheduled!

Overall, it was a lovely and laidback conversation with Professor Meyer and Professor Gillie. I thoroughly enjoyed the 20 minutes spent with them. At first, they were asking preset questions which eventually evolved into more casual rapport between all of us. Here were the questions I was asked (and in this order):

-Why LMU?
-What would you bring to a writer's room?
-What are you currently writing?
-Have I ever visited LA?
-How did I feel about Bong Joon-Ho's Parasite at the Oscars?
-Did I have any questions for them?

They didn't have my application on hand so it was funny when I said that I was a born and raised Los Angelino. It lead to a conversation about the growing traffic problem, etc. etc. There were lots of points where the conversation diverges away from the interview structure, so expect that and embrace it. They just want to get to know you and for you to get to know them.

Also, shoutout to @Chris W for wishing me luck before my interview!

i’m really desperate to hear back from this school i got such good vibes during my interview and they said some really nice things to me and almost made me cry because of how nice they were to me i know im not gonna get into usc or ucla so this is my top choice really 😩 i hope we hear back soon 🥺🥺🥺🥺

i’m really desperate to hear back from this school i got such good vibes during my interview and they said some really nice things to me and almost made me cry because of how nice they were to me i know im not gonna get into usc or ucla so this is my top choice really 😩 i hope we hear back soon 🥺🥺🥺🥺

Same. All my eggs are in this basket now.

Made an account just to post this. After my Skype interview with LMU two weeks ago, they invited me for another interview/meeting and campus tour this past Friday. It went great, and they said decisions should be coming out very soon. Hopefully we'll know in the next week or two!

Made an account just to post this. After my Skype interview with LMU two weeks ago, they invited me for another interview/meeting and campus tour this past Friday. It went great, and they said decisions should be coming out very soon. Hopefully we'll know in the next week or two!
yeah they invited me too! but i live in norcal :( i really loved the people i had an interview with they were so sweet

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back