MA vs. MFA? (need help deciding)

Bmob Dren

So, I am 32, and I feel a bit old to be finally doing something about this, but I have been passionate about film and television since infancy.

I have my B.A. in Communications from Indiana University, and I am now, after 8 years since graduating, finally seriously contemplating going to film school. My problem is that I have not done much in regard to actual camera work or on-set production experience. I worked in NYC for a few years after college, just doing lowly PA work, but I have no experience with the technical craft of actual filmmaking.

Can someone give me advice on what I should do if I want to go to Film School but I really don't have a portfolio of work yet? I am contemplating on whether to do apply for an MFA in FIlm production or screenwriting, or just apply for an MA in Film or Cinema studies. I love to critique film on a cultural level, as well, so I could see going either way.

But, my true passion is I want to learn how to MAKE films. I am just scared of applying and being up against all these other people who have been using cameras since they were kids shooting scenes in their backyards. Hehe.

Any advice?? Also, film school program recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I am in Austin, TX but would seriously consider relocating for the right school, pending acceptance, of course.

BMod-

I don't think anyone here can help you decide on either an ma or mfa, but if you really want to make films then you should get your mfa (or just do it on your own).

In terms of camera experience and competence with the craft, I can tell you that I was accepted to Columbia's mfa program for this coming fall and I've never picked up a camera before (But I have been writing for some time), and I got into the directing/screenwriting program. So, you don't need to know how camera's work (at least for columbia's program which is geared more towards getting the story right then learning in school how to MAKE films.

As far as program recommendations I would look into NYU, Columbia, UCLA...??

Hope this helps

Thanks for the advice, jojo.

Looking through the threads here, I am getting more nervous, because it looks like a lot of schools require a visual component and I have no camera or FinalCut or anything to put something like that together.

I just love film, and I want to go to film school. I know I don't want to do this on my own. I need the structure of a school to hone my crafts.

I am hoping that I will learn more about the requirements and what expectation to set when I start actually filling out the applications.

So far, I am looking at UCLA, USC, NYU, Columbia, Chapman, San Fran State, and UT (since I live here in Austin.) Obviously Austin would be easy since I have lived here for 4 years and could get in-state tuition, but I want to be accepted somewhere that challenges me. And then of course there is the matter of gaining financing, because there is no way I will have enough money saved by next fall. I may be lucky to have $10k saved by then.

I want this so badly, that I feel like nothing is going to stop me. I just have to figure it out.

At this point I would, if I were you, take advantage of my time to try and put together a visual submission. A lot of schools give you the option of applying for a secondary choice and many others will offer you a spot in another discipline if you show promise but don't quite make the cut for the discipline to which you apply.

You've got four months or more before applications for next fall start becoming due, and if you can rally some friends and put together a decent submission between now and then it will reflect well on you and give you some excellent fodder for admission essays. You can make the effort now and see what you have by October and if it's truly godawful then you can just apply for your MA.

If it's remotely worth a damn, though, you can apply for MFA directing with Film Studies as your second option.

And you might learn, as you attempt to get a good sample or two made, that you really love production and that you wouldn't be happy pursuing an MA. (You might also learn that you hate production).

Alternatively, you can apply for an MFA in screenwriting without any sort of creative material beyond writing.

I would consider writing in your place, and if I didn't want to do that I would begin trying to shanghai friends and resources to give myself a crash course in backyard filmmaking. I would look at schools I wanted to apply to and start working on the material that would be required for an MA or an MFA application, and then I'd make the best damn sample reel I could and I would milk the bejeezus out of the fact that I made it with no real experience in my essays. I would make sure, too, that there were strong, compelling stories at work in my samples, because the acting and the technical end of it would be, quite possibly, subpar.

And if I wanted to MAKE movies, I'm not sure I would even consider applying for the MA.

Wow, notrobert. Awesome advice, dude. That's exactly what I need to hear. I actually have already put out word to two of my friends who have camera experience, and it looks like many of the schools to which I want to apply will accept still photography instead of an actual dvd or reel. So, I am thinking I might just storyboard an idea together with a series of 10 really great 8x10 shots and milk my writing and creative licensing to show that I AM creative and the ideas are definitely all there, it's just the ability and know-how to execute my ideas that I am lacking.

I also noted that many schools will allow you to apple to the graduate programs and choose a primary and secondary discipline, so I am thinking of going with Film Production MFA as my first choice, with a Screenwriting or Producing program as my second choice. After looking into this further, I definitely want to go the MFA route.

I agree with notrobert, if you want to make movies then don't waste you time/money on an MA just because you want to go to film school. I started looking at film school with the idea of doing an MA, because I was an English major and had done crit studies stuff in undergrad. However, I quickly decided that I really wanted to do production, the only problem was I didn't have any experience. I think when you come to production without any real background in film you have to identify what it is that makes you a good story teller and what experiences you do have. For me, it was my writing and some theater stuff that I did.

Also, I chose not to shoot a film for my visual sample because I knew that there was no way I could compete with other applicants in that area. I just sent in some nice photos I had taken and let that be. As a result, instead of spending hours trying to learn something I didn't know so that I would have a mediocre video to submit, I focused on making as authentic of a personal statement and writing samples as I could. In the end, it was a much better use of my time.

Anyway, my point is you should focus on your own strengths and make each part of your application packet highlight those things, instead of worrying so much about where you are afraid you can't compete.

Oh and as far as schools go I would say that if you are unsure about exactly what area of production you want to go into, you should probably look at schools that do a couple semesters of general production overview instead of ones where you have to choose a specialty right out of the gate.

It really depends how far you are willing to go, literally and figuratively.

I am in a similar situation and have spent the last year taking workshops and junior college classes to build a portfolio and have yet to create that one piece that stands out. In my research I have found a few loopholes depending on your GPA.

Florida State has a great graduate film program and doesn't require a portfolio. If you state your desires and I am assuming you need a high GPA then that might be the best road for you. Of course after you graduate you will need to move to an area with more opportunities which is what makes me hesitant.

Conversely for someone like me with a low undergrad GPA I have been leaning toward the graduate film program at CalArts which claims to be portfolio driven. I just need that one piece that stands out.

If anyone here has gotten into a graduate film program with just photographs, please let me know where and how extensive your portfolio was.

Marisah-

Nice. I really liked what you had to say. I think we're in very similar situations.

I noticed you're in Seattle. What have you heard about Vancouver Film School? I have been contacted by them about coming into their 1 year program, the down side is you don't get an actual MFA, but I hear it is a great way into the industry and to start working right away. Plus, Vancouver is pretty freaking awesome. haha

Heard any pros/cons about that school?

PureConections -
I was accepted to USC with just photographs and am starting there this Fall. The portfolio list I submitted was mostly a bunch of academic papers I wrote in college, as well as a couple of short stories I wrote for classes, my senior thesis on morality in BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER, and a series of skits I wrote/directed for a youth summer camp. Honestly, the only time I had been exposed to anything related to film production was when a film crew came to shoot a staff introduction video at the summer camp where I worked.

Bmob -
I'm glad what I said helped. :) Unfortunately, I don't really know anything about the Vancouver Film School other than there are a number of people online who say it is a scam, and number of others who say it is awesome. I will say that having a specific degree is not going to matter in the industry. In fact the only things that really matter are who you know and what they think about you and the work you have done. An MFA is just one way of getting those things. For me, it was the best choice, but there are certianly other options.

Last edited by a moderator:
My advice...get your MFA in film production. It is a terminal degree, you cannot go any higher than that in fine arts. This means if the film thing doesn't work out, you can teach at a 4-year university, receive tenure, ect. without having to get your PhD. Film studies on the other hand is a PhD track of study, so something to keep in mind.

I know teaching is not making movies, but in practical terms, it's a smarter movie in my opinion in case your future plans change.

Hi Bmob Dren. I see that you have already received plenty of valuable insights and advice on your post, which, at this point, is also about three months old. But, I thought I would throw my two cents into the conversation anyway.

I am in the exact same position as you: my experience in filmmaking is even less than yours, as I have never even been employed as a "lowly" PA (though not for lack of trying, let me tell ya!). But, at the same time, I am 24, so perhaps it evens out.

I, too, aspire to get my MFA in Filmmaking. I yearn to be on a set, get my hands dirty (so to speak) and really delve into the creation of films. Yet, I also have no portfolio in progress, and absolutely no clue about how to get it done. I also have no friends or acquaintances in the field.

So, my solution to this position is to save some money and take some continuing education-type classes where I can learn the very basics of filmmaking, and perhaps create a short film or two which I can send to MFA programs when I am ready (hopefully within the next two years).

I know the classes can be pricey, but I will be able to use their equipment, have an instructor to guide me in some way, as well as peers who are also dedicated to the craft helping me with my project, and I with theirs. I am also not one who would be good on my own, as I need the structure of a classroom setting and instruction to really learn the ropes, just as you mentioned.

So, perhaps, if you can afford it, you might want to look into some continuing education filmmaking classes, most of which are generally offered once a week, either at night during the week or on the weekend, giving you the rest of the time to work your day job AND put your classroom learning into practice.

I've not tried this out myself (I am still saving money and plan on enrolling in a course in January) but this is the plan I have created for myself, and hopefully it might be able to help you.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• UC Berkeley
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    Concentration: Film and Media Studies
    UC Berkeley Film Packs a Punch!
    I absolutely loved my time at UC Berkeley and I would not have traded doing my undergrad there even for a top spot at UCLA for a BFA in Film...
    • 8ballqueen
  • Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back