NYFA or LAFS Opinions?

LastoftheJedi77

(Before we start, don't give me any don't go to film school crap. I know the downsides and the benefits, and I'm going to make the fullest out of wherever I go.

Hi, I am currently looking into going to either New York Film Academy (Universal, or possibly NY campus), or Los Angeles Film School. (I don't have the grades to get into places like USC or Chapman).

Everywhere I look people are trashing these places right next to someone else giving them a great review. I would do the 2-year deal at NYFA btw. The reasons I'm going to film school are: to gain access to people of similar mindsets who are working towards the same goal, equipment, and HOPEFULLY connections/internships. So if anyone has any information (not just rumors) about either of these places I would love some input.

What I want to do is be a cinematographer.

Hey there!

I don't know much about the 2 year program at NYFA, however I went on the high school summer camp at their Los Angeles location back in 2008, so I can tell you a little about that...

I attended the 4 week digital film making camp. We had classes in lighting, cinematography, editing etc. However, one thing that NYFA lacks is definitely the storytelling aspect. We had a few classes in theory but it was very much hands on. To me, I much prefer hands on work but I also believe you need to have the basic storytelling techniques in order to successfully make a film. I'm currently in my last year of high school in Australia and at my school we have a Media Studies class which I've been taking ever since I came back from NYFA. I believe I've learnt a lot more at my high school's Media Studies class in terms of theory. NYFA didn't even cover the basic codes and conventions of film. However, I definitely learnt quite a bit about cinematography at NYFA.

One of my friends that I met at NYFA has actually recently finished the 2 year program. I know what you said about 'trashing' NYFA but this was her opinion. I was talking about film schools in LA and she was telling me to NOT come to NYFA or even LAFS. She didn't tell me why but she just said not to. In my opinion, NYFA was an exceptional program for the 4 week course but from what I heard, NYFA as a 2 year program isn't highly regarded.

I was actually looking at doing the 2 year program at NYFA for Fall 2011 but after doing some research I've dropped that idea. My grades are basically a B average and applying as an international student to USC or Chapman will be very competitive so I've been researching alternatives. Columbia College Hollywood seems like quite a good school. It's small and only teaches film and TV. I've also heard that Cal State Northridge and Cal State Long Beach have decent film programs.

Anyway, I hope I helped.

-Nicole

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back