NYU Dramatic Writing 2019

Yeah, when are your interviews? Mine's on March the 5th, around 5 pm EST

How did your interview go? If you don't mind me asking.
It was really casual and pleasant! It's nothing at all to be nervous about.

The interviewer asked about my writing (she was very familiar with my samples!), asked about challenges I've faced when writing, what I've learned about myself, whether I had applied anywhere else, why NYU, tv shows I like, play's I've seen/read and enjoyed, other projects I want to work on and if I had any questions for her! It know that seems like a lot, but it all flowed easily and naturally - none of the questions felt out of the blue, they usually were prompted by something I said!

I'm trying to think of there was anything else but I think thats the gist of it! It was around 20 mins and she called me exactly on time, so be sure to have your phone ready and on loud!

I'm curious to hear if other's had a different experience!! Good luck to everyone!!

It was really casual and pleasant! It's nothing at all to be nervous about.

The interviewer asked about my writing (she was very familiar with my samples!), asked about challenges I've faced when writing, what I've learned about myself, whether I had applied anywhere else, why NYU, tv shows I like, play's I've seen/read and enjoyed, other projects I want to work on and if I had any questions for her! It know that seems like a lot, but it all flowed easily and naturally - none of the questions felt out of the blue, they usually were prompted by something I said!

I'm trying to think of there was anything else but I think thats the gist of it! It was around 20 mins and she called me exactly on time, so be sure to have your phone ready and on loud!

I'm curious to hear if other's had a different experience!! Good luck to everyone!!

Thank you! That’s very helpful information. So I gather your interview was over the phone and not through Skype?

Had a really pleasant, conversational Skype interview with a professor who mainly asked me about what I was looking for and followed up on specific elements of my personal history and resume. He also explained the philosophy of the program, and explained what sets it apart from some of the alternatives. Lasted like 15-20 minutes.

Thank you! That’s very helpful information. So I gather your interview was over the phone and not through Skype?
Yeah, mine was over the phone! I wasn't given a choice. I actually live in New York so was surprised they didn't ask me to come in in-person, but I feel like it went well regardless!

Yeah, mine was over the phone! I wasn't given a choice. I actually live in New York so was surprised they didn't ask me to come in in-person, but I feel like it went well regardless!

Hahaha, that's funny =)). I live in Russia and they actually gave me a choice between Skype and phone.

Anyway, sounds like it went rather well!

Just had an interview with Shinho Lee. Thought it went well, low-key, he spent more time discussing the program whereas Columbia asked me more questions about myself.

FYI, he did say that it would take them a month and a half to 2 months to make their decisions.

Just had an interview with Shinho Lee. Thought it went well, low-key, he spent more time discussing the program whereas Columbia asked me more questions about myself.

Wow, thanks for the info, I have an interview with him in a few hours! Was he alone?

FYI, he did say that it would take them a month and a half to 2 months to make their decisions.

Man, that sounds like a long time, tbh, especially since AFI Screenwriting DAY X is March 15th.

Wow, thanks for the info, I have an interview with him in a few hours! Was he alone?

Man, that sounds like a long time, tbh, especially since AFI Screenwriting DAY X is March 15th.
Yeah, he was alone. FYI, instead of asking more specific questions, he said "Tell me about yourself" which throws me a little because 28 years of life flash before my eyes. So try to have something succinct ready to go.

Yeah, he was alone. FYI, instead of asking more specific questions, he said "Tell me about yourself" which throws me a little because 28 years of life flash before my eyes. So try to have something succinct ready to go.

Oh, thanks for the heads up! Yeah, ironically enough, I actually prepared a small pitch this morning, asking myself in the process if I really needed it — there was no "tell me about yourselves" in my two previous interviews.

Hey everyone, just had my interview with Richard Wesley. The interview was extremely laid back (or rather Richard was) and Richard pretty much was just there to answer any questions I had about the program, which were numerous. Overall, he indicated to me that he was pretty impressed with my portfolio and to expect a response by the end of March (which seems to go against what Shinho Lee said about a month and a half to two months) whether it be acceptance or rejection. I wasn't exactly sold on NYU to begin with but after talking to Richard I'm starting to think it might be a good fit for me. Granted, I'm starting to think that about all the schools I interviewed with, because why shouldn't my decision be harder than it needs to be.

Hey everyone, just had my interview with Richard Wesley. The interview was extremely laid back (or rather Richard was) and Richard pretty much was just there to answer any questions I had about the program, which were numerous. Overall, he indicated to me that he was pretty impressed with my portfolio and to expect a response by the end of March (which seems to go against what Shinho Lee said about a month and a half to two months) whether it be acceptance or rejection. I wasn't exactly sold on NYU to begin with but after talking to Richard I'm starting to think it might be a good fit for me. Granted, I'm starting to think that about all the schools I interviewed with, because why shouldn't my decision be harder than it needs to be.

Quite interestingly, my experience is similar. My Skype interview with Shinho was very cool (yes, exactly that). We discussed all the usual stuff, but I felt extremely relaxed, and sort of like there was a lot of air and space for me in our conversation... I hope it makes sense lol.

By the end, the whole dynamic was even a lot more casual than the traditional "laid back interview" vibe. Honestly, when we finished, I felt the best, compared to my other two interviews. I just felt that we really established some sort of connection early on, and I was really comfortable the whole time. I got praise for my screenplay, too.

I also had my doubts about NYU in terms of industry connections and general distance from Hollywood, but now I wonder if I really did feel something special and therefore should follow my heart (in case I get accepted).

Oh and yes, Shinho also told me to expect their decision in 4-8 weeks, which he thought was "quite soon". I feel like we should investigate that somehow, maybe write them or something.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back