NYU Dramatic Writing Program - Fall 2012

Originally posted by dmtr:
If I'm reading the posts above correctly, it seems like some people who applied to the NY campus were rejected and referred to Asia. Also, some people who applied to both NY and Asia have heard from Asia but not NY. Anyone not fit in to one of those two categories?

That's what I'm seeing, but I wonder if they have given out rejections just for people who applied to NYU and did not want to be consider for Asia.

I haven't. I thought I'd have a letter from NYU rejecting me since I'd had my cordial interview with Singapore, but I checked my mail for the first time in three weeks yesterday and found nothing. I'm wondering if this is good since a lot of Singapore acceptees received rejection from NY within the last three weeks or so?

I didn't know that out of the 24 students they select for screenwriting, 8 of them come from playwriting, movie writing, tv writing. Does anybody know if they select you based on whatever format of writing you submit (i.e. if you sent in a tv pilot, they'd consider you exclusively for tv writing) or if they use your sample to consider you for all departments.

@mjsoutha
The concentration that you identified on your application is the one that you will be "drafted" into. This doesn't necessarily mean you have to follow that concentration once you get in, but they aim to have 8 of each concentration.

Here are some more stats for the lurkers:

Last year waitlist notifications went out on a Wednesday and accepted candidates were notified two days later on Friday (by email).

The year before, there were informal calls to chat with (eventually) accepted candidates on 3/8 and 3/14 with final rejections and acceptances going out on Wednesday 3/24 (by email).

That's all I got.

Originally posted by Britton:
I've heard that there were 2 waves of rejections already. 1 on 3/2 and one on 3/4. I received an invitation to interview with TISCH Asia, but no email with a rejection letter.

@ Britton: I'm in the same boat! I didn't recieve a rejection letter from NYU but I did get a call for interview to Tisch Asia. Honestly I don't care where I get into as long as I can write. I sent in two TV samples because they where polished but I have written everything inbetween. Thats why I wanted to go to NYU because they encourage the dibble dabble of all mediums. I have a phone interview next Monday.

Originally posted by Tebowing4Gradskool:
Also I don't think timeline matters...look how late I am interviewing.

Congrats on the interview with Tisch Asia. The data points I've provided have been for NY DW. I am not sure how the Asia DW process works.

Anyone hear anything about NY DW?

Anyone hear back over the last couple of days? I haven't gotten any letters, calls, or emails from either Tisch or Tisch Asia. Tired of taking that gallows walk to the mailbox =)

Figured I'd bump this to the top in case anyone has heard anything. I theorize that the delay could be due to Tisch Asia; maybe they are negotiating on who goes where? If you've been contacted by NYU, do post.

Hi everyone.

My situation: Applied to MFA/MBA Film Producing Program

MARCH 6 - rejected by the Stern Business (MBA)

MARCH 19 - subtle rejection email by the NYC Tish MFA program (today) stating "MFA NYU program has accepted its class and the admission process is now closed" WITH an acceptance to Tish Asia "International Media Producing"

Darn, I really wanted the dual degree.

Well, those are my results. Hope it informs.

Originally posted by DawsComedy:
Got notified of wait list status by email. Anyone else?

me, too. just got mine late afternoon. we're you a screenwriting, playwriting or tv focus? i was screenwriting. hope we both get off the wait list!

Got the wait list e-mail today. I applied for screenwriting. Anyone have a clue how many applicants get wait listed, and how many of those wait listers might get accepted, based on past years? Seems we have established that there are 8 slots for each type of writing (screen, TV, stage). Maybe they accept 8 and put 8 on the wait list? No idea.

I also didn't hear anything today.

@ Fred Flinstone

As I understand it, the ratio of waitlist to acceptances is around 1.5:1. Last year I THINK 4-5 people reported being waitlisted to DW and 2 of them got in (you can check last year's thread to get more accurate numbers).

Who else heard something today? Who hasn't heard anything?

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back