UGA Film Production MFA - Fall 2021

tls

Hi all!

Anyone apply to UGA (University of Georgia) this year? It's a brand new program outside Atlanta where, in your second year, students get a residency at Trilith Studios - where Marvel shoots a ton of their stuff! Seems like an amazing opportunity and I'm sure they'll be working really hard to launch the program well and make it competitive. I applied, and from what I can tell they accept 12 students. I don't think there's an interview process, but wanted to start a thread. Very curious to see who all has applied and hear their thoughts on pros and cons of this program. :D

Do I need to add the school to the application database as an option? I'll do it later today.

That'd be great. Yeah it's a pretty new program, 2020 was it's first year.

Whoa! This program looks very promising. In-state tuition is a steal. You've got Neil Landau who also taught at USC and UCLA. And the spring writer-in-residence is Steven Canals? That's big time. And as you mentioned Trilith Studios. Looks like students will get a lot of hands-on experience and maybe opportunities to even PA on set.

Good luck : )

Whoa! This program looks very promising. In-state tuition is a steal. You've got Neil Landau who also taught at USC and UCLA. And the spring writer-in-residence is Steven Canals? That's big time. And as you mentioned Trilith Studios. Looks like students will get a lot of hands-on experience and maybe opportunities to even PA on set.

Good luck : )
Right?? Looks like they're gearing up for something really cool.

The only concern for me is that the program is untested and that there is no alumni network - however, I know they're trying to make it successful, so I wonder if they'll work even harder to get their graduates industry placement. Who's to say! Something to ask in the interview, I suppose!

Hey! I applied to this program too! I was looking all over to see if there were any threads about it! Has anyone heard back?

Hey! I applied to this program too! I was looking all over to see if there were any threads about it! Has anyone heard back?
I believe they will be reaching out for interviews soon, and applicants should know either way around the end of the month of Feb! What drew you to the program?

I believe they will be reaching out for interviews soon, and applicants should know either way around the end of the month of Feb! What drew you to the program?
Oh ok cool! I’m a Georgia resident so I would qualify for in state tuition which I found to be pretty reasonable. The faculty also caught my attention as some have have direct ties to Cannes, and Ebertfest. There’s also the trillith connection and the fact that UGA is home of the Peabody awards. As a Georgian, UGA seems like a no brainer. It’s my number one choice.

Oh ok cool! I’m a Georgia resident so I would qualify for in state tuition which I found to be pretty reasonable. The faculty also caught my attention as some have have direct ties to Cannes, and Ebertfest. There’s also the trillith connection and the fact that UGA is home of the Peabody awards. As a Georgian, UGA seems like a no brainer. It’s my number one choice.
Cool! Yup, all of that is pretty awesome. I qualify for in-state as well and you just can't beat that price. I wish you the best of luck! Maybe we'll be classmates!

Cool! Yup, all of that is pretty awesome. I qualify for in-state as well and you just can't beat that price. I wish you the best of luck! Maybe we'll be classmates!
Best of luck to you as well! I hope that us being classmates will be the outcome! 💙🌹

I applied to the program. If I get in it will be like I'm repairing a mistake I made as a teenager. I was accepted to UGA out of high school, but went to a local uni (another GA school) instead. I've pretty much regretted for the past 15 years. So this would definitely be fulfilling an emotional want. Whooo. Getting nervous already!

Got my notification for interview today. The email stated it's only about a 15 minute interview. My interview with Chapman MBA program was over an hour and a half, so now I'm quite curious.

Got an interview as well. It's interesting how the lengths vary across programs - most of mine have landed around 20-30 min

My interview is tomorrow and I'll fill ya'll in on how it goes!

That went pretty rough for me. They fit in a lot of stuff for 15 minutes. Unfortunately, I had to do it on a work break on my phone so my nerves were at max capacity. Did I see and think about all the questions they asked prior to the interview? Yes. Do I know all the answers from my perspective if you were to ask me in conversation? Yes. Did I completely lose my memory and ability to understand or speak during that 15 minutes? Also yes.

Questions: Why an MFA, why now, and what other programs have you applied to?
Your favorite directors?
Your production experience, and what you want to get out of the program?
What do you want to focus on in the program?
I'm probably paraphrasing a bit, and I'm certain I've forgotten one of the questions.

If anyone would like to practice before your interview comes up, please hit me up and we can set up a zoom or google hangout or something.

That went pretty rough for me. They fit in a lot of stuff for 15 minutes. Unfortunately, I had to do it on a work break on my phone so my nerves were at max capacity. Did I see and think about all the questions they asked prior to the interview? Yes. Do I know all the answers from my perspective if you were to ask me in conversation? Yes. Did I completely lose my memory and ability to understand or speak during that 15 minutes? Also yes.

Questions: Why an MFA, why now, and what other programs have you applied to?
Your favorite directors?
Your production experience, and what you want to get out of the program?
What do you want to focus on in the program?
I'm probably paraphrasing a bit, and I'm certain I've forgotten one of the questions.

If anyone would like to practice before your interview comes up, please hit me up and we can set up a zoom or google hangout or something.
Sorry to hear that - I'm sure they understand that nerves are a thing! How do you feel about what you learned from them about the program? I had mine today as well and will post below

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back