USC MFA Film & Television Production Spring 2019

Hey gang,

The forums from previous years suggest that interview notifications should be going out right around now, and admissions sent out in the next 1-2 weeks. Exciting times. Has anyone been contacted for an interview at this point?

On another note, my video submission now has a total of 6 views coming from the USC Slideroom portal (average viewing time of ~ 85%), which seems like an oddly high number. Does anyone have any theories as to why this might be the case? 3 of the 6 views were in the last week, in case that's relevant. I guess this could either be good (I'm moving through rounds of admissions) or not so good (I'm a borderline case- they need more people to weigh in).

Best of luck to everyone waiting! Hope we all get in. Also, congrats, lianlee :)

Hey gang,

The forums from previous years suggest that interview notifications should be going out right around now, and admissions sent out in the next 1-2 weeks. Exciting times. Has anyone been contacted for an interview at this point?

On another note, my video submission now has a total of 6 views coming from the USC Slideroom portal (average viewing time of ~ 85%), which seems like an oddly high number. Does anyone have any theories as to why this might be the case? 3 of the 6 views were in the last week, in case that's relevant. I guess this could either be good (I'm moving through rounds of admissions) or not so good (I'm a borderline case- they need more people to weigh in).

Best of luck to everyone waiting! Hope we all get in. Also, congrats, lianlee :)
I had an interview about 2 weeks ago. But I don't know what that means, since people get admitted or denied with and without an interview.

If they do what they did last year, letters of admittance will be sent out on the 14th. I don't know if they'll do the same thing again, but aughhhh I'm getting excited, and scared, all at once.

That's super helpful; thanks, @sharkb8 ! What was your interview like?

Woof, I did NOT realize letters of admittance would be sent so soon. The next couple of days are going to be a wild ride...

That's super helpful; thanks, @sharkb8 ! What was your interview like?

Woof, I did NOT realize letters of admittance would be sent so soon. The next couple of days are going to be a wild ride...
Yeah I've been checking the you.usc site every day hoping to see a letter. I really hope it comes... even if it's a rejection at least I'll know haha.

The interview was really relaxed. He just asked me some simple questions that were quite similar to what was on the application. I'm a bit worried though because I was sick at the time so I don't know if I said the things I would have wanted to say. Hopefully I wasn't too bad.

I flew down to LA to visit USC, UCLA, AFI, and Chapman this weekend. USC was just mindblowingly amazing to me. It's a really beautiful campus with really pretty architecture. And the SCA has such a fantastic reputation so to be able to study there would be really really amazing. I really hope I get accepted.

How do you know how many views were on your video? I go into Slideroom but it doesn't have a viewcount that I see.

Right on. I think you and I have been in the same mind-frame for a few weeks, @sharkb8 . Great to talk to another person who knows what I feel!

Regarding your views question: I know how many views on my video are from USC thanks to Vimeo's "Plus" plan, which I paid for because I didn't have enough space on my account to upload my USC video. If you have this plan, you can see the details of your views by clicking into "See all video stats" under the video. You can get a breakdown by date, location, URL, and more. The views from your application portal will be marked as "source URL: slideroom.com". That's it! This plan is $7/month, so, might be worth it depending on how excruciating this wait is for you haha.

I have a view to completion from slideroom that is literally from yesterday, which is what's giving me pause. What more info can they possibly obtain from viewing my video a 6th time? Probably not super useful/healthy for me to speculate at this point, but it's pretty hard not to....

Hi all!

I've been lurking on this thread for a while now, but I also applied for Spring 2019! It's funny how quiet it is in here compared to the Fall 2018 thread, but I guess that's the beauty of applying during a less popular application period? I haven't gotten any interviews, but am pretty nervous/excited about the upcoming decisions! Fingers crossed we all hear back in the next week or so (and don't have to wait till the end of the month).

Best of luck to everyone!! :D

Anybody hear back yet?

I keep checking the you.usc.edu page every few hours, but there's no letter in there yet. So, because I needed something to keep my mind from collapsing on itself, I went back on this forum to see when previous classes got their decision status.

It appears that in most years, they send out batches of acceptances. The main batch is alerted on the first day, but they don't all receive their acceptance at once. So people come in every few days to mention that they got accepted/rejected.

So based on the previous threads, here is the date the earliest user mentioned as having received their decision. The year at the left is the year of desired entry, and the date to the right is the date that people heard back about their result.

2014: Oct. 10th, 2013
2015: Oct. 16th, 2014
2016: Oct. 16th, 2015
2017: N/A (no one posted their acceptance date)
2018: Oct. 15th, 2017 (letter dated Oct. 14th)
2019: Hopefully today or tomorrow!

If anyone hears a result, please let us know!

Nidhi

Hey Guys,

Firstly, sit tight and best of luck to all of you who are waiting to hear back from USC about admission. And Congrats!!! To those who have already got admission for the Spring term.
I was waitlisted for fall 2018 and now will be attending the Program from Spring 2019.
Some of us have created this group on Facebook for the students starting the MFA in Film and Television Production Program in Spring 2019 at USC.

Here is a link to the Facebook group :
Security Check Required

Feel free to join the group and share the group with others who are going to be a part of the same class.

Best of Luck!
&
Thanks

Thanks for sharing, Nidhi, and congrats on your acceptance! Were any members of the Fb group admitted from this cycle? Trying to figure out if acceptance letters have started going out...

Thanks for sharing, Nidhi, and congrats on your acceptance! Were any members of the Fb group admitted from this cycle? Trying to figure out if acceptance letters have started going out...
I asked in the Facebook group and no one has responded, so if they were admitted for this cycle they haven't said anything about it. I also searched for other Facebook groups anyone might have created for Spring admits, or posts people might have made about being accepted, but nobody has said anything that I can see. Same with Twitter, I don't see any posts anyone has made about receiving decisions.

Looks like USC is just behind this year. So I guess we're still in the running :D. (hopefully)

You are the man, @sharkb8 . Thanks for going the extra mile once again and for helping keep us (sort of) sane. I am not an anxious person by nature, but the last few days have been trying to say the least...Hoping we hear back soon with some good news :)

Okay, now for a filmmaking joke to lighten the atmosphere:

Why don't DPs smoke?
It takes them four hours to light it.

Congratulations! That's amazing news! Did you receive a direct email, or did you need to check in the portal? Nothing on my end yet; fingers crossed...

Congratulations! That's amazing news! Did you receive a direct email, or did you need to check in the portal? Nothing on my end yet; fingers crossed...
I received a direct email from the School of Cinematic Arts that said I had been accepted, and saying I needed to make a $500 deposit by November 1 to guarantee my spot.

When I check the you.usc portal it still says I have no messages. I’d assume it’ll get uploaded there eventually.

Has anyone else heard back yet? I haven't and wonder if they are just running late this year.
Hey Estherk,
I still haven't heard anything back yet... I am so nervous. I called the department, they said they send out their decision from last week to the beginning of the Nov.

Hey Estherk,
I still haven't heard anything back yet... I am so nervous. I called the department, they said they send out their decision from last week to the beginning of the Nov.
Gotcha... well, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for both of us (and anyone else who hasn't heard back yet)!

Hey everyone, have somebody heard about back yet at this time?
I haven't. But I'm curious if anyone else who has commented on this thread has... I just called and they said they're still sending decisions out. I hope they have more acceptance letters to send out!

Latest reviews

Latest Applications