1. The FilmSchool.org community has been helping people apply to film school since 2002. Log in or Create an Account and get your film school questions answered.
  2. Did you go to film school for undergrad? Please review the school on our Film School review system. (You can review anonymously)
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have you applied to a film school? Add your application to the Application Tracking Sheet so you can compare with your peers and track progress.
    Dismiss Notice

USC MFA Film & Television Production Spring 2019

Discussion in 'Graduate Film School Discussions' started by Catchyfan, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Cindy

Cindy New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I got an email from USC today. I am in the waitlist right now. There mean I have one more month for the final decision...

• Hang in there! Hang in there! x 1
  2. RAH

RAH New Member

Ratings:
    +2
    anyone else hear anything yet? this wait is killing me

3. Edouard N

Edouard N New Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +10
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think, at this point, that being realistic is best:

If you haven't heard back by now, you've probably been rejected. And I say this as someone who hasn't heard back yet.

Looking at the threads from previous years, the pattern is always the same: interviews late Sept/early Oct, acceptances mid Oct, waitlists on or around Nov 1st, and rejections after that. I really don't see why this year would be any different. The only thing currently tripping me up is that the Facebook Group for admits has been stuck at 16 members for a long time now. USC typically accepts 60-70 applicants per cohort. Obviously not all admits are going to find/join the Fb group, but 16 still seems like a small number @sharkb8 , @Nidhi , any insider scoop there from the FB group?

In any case, what I would encourage everyone who hasn't heard back yet to do is to get ready like NOW to re-apply for Fall 2019 (deadline: Nov 15). There's basically no reason not to:
    1. You may have new material to submit.
    2. There are two new questions on the app. ==> two more ways to showcase how dope you are.
    3. (To be confirmed): as far as I understand it, applications are reviewed by different people every time. So why not just try your luck again in case your application lands in a more sympathetic lap?
    As an addendum, I just got off the phone with admissions, who said that, if you are a Spring 2019 applicant who hasn't heard back yet and plans to re-apply, you can email admissions@cinema.usc.edu and they'll do what they can to help transfer materials in slideroom so that you don't have to redo everything.

Hope this helps everyone who's still waiting. The dream lives on!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Cindy

Cindy New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I also want to know who is in the Waiting list as me? And who knows about how the waiting list works? And how long it should take for know the decision?

5. sharkb8

sharkb8 iAmB84AshRk

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I don’t think the Facebook group is USC sanctioned. It’s just a group Nidhi created to try to meet other people from this class. Nobody has been added to it in the time I’ve been in it. I still don’t know how many people will be in my class or if USC plans on giving us an official Facebook page or group of some sort.

I believe what probably happened for applicants this time around is that the Fall 2018 class likely had a lot of people be waitlisted, which guarantees admission in Spring 2019. So if a lot of Spring slots were already filled by waitlisted Fall applicants, they probably didn’t have many available slots for regular Spring applicants. That would explain why nobody got in. I’m not certain if that’s the case, but it would make sense.

Also, for those of you applying again for Fall, I wish you the best of luck and I’ll be rooting for you guys! If you’d like someone to take a look at your application materials I’m happy to do so. Go ahead and PM me and I’ll offer any thoughts I can :).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Edouard N

Edouard N New Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +10
    @sharkb8: I'm absolutely going to take you up on that offer. Thanks so much for offering!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Catchyfan

Catchyfan New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hey guys, I haven't visited this forum for a while. I got my USC offer in late October and I accepted it. I got rejected last year and this was my second time applying. To those who will apply next year, don't give up, wish you guys good luck!!!!!!!:)

• Love Love x 2