USC School of Cinematic Arts SCA MFA Film & TV Production Fall 2020

Great question!

The most common missteps that I see tend to be found in the personal statement. It's the part of your application that is where we look to discover who you are - so make certain to show us! Here's what I can advise based on my experiences...

1) Don't write about what everyone else is writing about. Most of the personal statements resemble a cover letter. They focus on why the candidate wants to pursue film/what going to film school means to them/the internal debate and sacrifice of leaving their old life behind. Your application will pack a much more effective punch if it focuses on painting a detailed picture of you as an individual while displaying a unique approach to storytelling. It doesn't have to focus on film. It has to focus on you, and unless you're already an accomplished filmmaker (in which case you probably don't need filmschool) we don't expect film to be the crux of who you are!

2) Be "Personal." No topics are off bounds and no viewpoints are taboo. We want to know as much of the real you as possible. We're not trying to judge you as a person as much as we're trying to see if you know how to distinguish yourself and paint a well rounded character (that character being you).
- The admitted application I read when I was still applying was a story about the applicant discussing blowjob techniques with her gay friend. It was done in a way that showed she was open to being vulnerable, while telling a fantastic, ironic, and heartfelt story (in a very classy way believe it or not).

3) Make a "Statement." Be bold. Both in your content and the style to which you approach it. Don't just tell us how you see the world, Make us see the world how you see it. And there is no limit to the amount of creativity you should use in your approach!

4) Show us you're a story teller! Not every great essay is in the form of a story, but filmmaking is storytelling and showing us your capability doesn't hurt!
That’s very helpful and also gives me more hope.

I started my personal statement with the word “death” (“To create is my own way to "kill" death” is my point in the end.) so I was super afraid that it would look from the start like I'm super depressed and unable to work or smth. It's a very dark personal statement to be honest lol but I'm here to create dark films so I thought that's how it should be. Super unconventional beginning of my statement always seemed to be too risky.

That’s very helpful and also gives me more hope.

I started my personal statement with the word “death” (“To create is my own way to "kill" death” is my point in the end.) so I was super afraid that it would look from the start like I'm super depressed and unable to work or smth. It's a very dark personal statement to be honest lol but I'm here to create dark films as well so I thought that's how it should be. Super unconventional beginning of my statement always seemed to be too risky.

An interview is not a prerequisite for acceptance. When a committee member reviews your application, they may want to talk to you for a large variety of reasons. Typically it’s because something in an application has peaked our curiosity and we want to know more about it. An interview does not imply that your application is being given any special treatment or preference.
Also this site shows interesting statistics that more than 90% of all interviewed applicants were accepted in the end since 2017 and 90% of those who didn’t - received a rejection. There is no applications in 2019 on this site with the status “denied after interview” at all. Should those who were interviewed feel more optimistic having this data or it’s just this site somehow shows us picture that is far from true?

Also this site shows interesting statistics that more than 90% of all interviewed applicants were accepted in the end since 2017 and 90% of those who didn’t - received a rejection. There is no applications in 2019 on this site with the status “denied after interview” at all. Should those who were interviewed feel more optimistic having this data or it’s just this site somehow shows us picture that is far from true?
TBH I think there's a little bit of survivorship bias in the data. People are less likely to add their applications after they were denied but are more likely to do so if they are accepted.

Hi @USCSCAAlumni/Faculty, hoping to ask another question! You mentioned that in your fourth try applying to USC you got admitted with scholarships. I was wondering if you had any advice you could offer on getting scholarships and standing out as an applicant? Thank you for your time and help!

TBH I think there's a little bit of survivorship bias in the data. People are less likely to add their applications after they were denied but are more likely to do so if they are accepted.
But most of the people still adding their applications before the decisions so they might actually don’t know at first if they will be accepted or not? Yes, obviously adding application after rejection would seem unnecessary for the most and people would also less likely to be interested in updating their status from “interviewed” to “denied after interviewed” but there’s still not many “abandoned” applications with unknown fates. The proportion still remains significant

Last edited:
Hi @USCSCAAlumni/Faculty, hoping to ask another question! You mentioned that in your fourth try applying to USC you got admitted with scholarships. I was wondering if you had any advice you could offer on getting scholarships and standing out as an applicant? Thank you for your time and help!
The scholarship committee is separate from the admissions committee and works in ways that I am unfamiliar with. If you are accepted and asked to be considered for a scholarship, your application will be sent to the scholarship committee for consideration.

As far as ways to stand out, there's no one fits all piece of advice I can offer. I think that in general though, you have to figure out what is unique to you as a person and a storyteller, and connect with us in a way that makes us feel like we not only know you, but want to get to know you more. After all, we are choosing our family for the next several years! We want people in our classes who we're excited to spend time with, and who we think will benefit from what we can offer them.

Last edited:
I cannot comment on the self reported data of this site - nor do I recommend you concerning yourself with it. I can tell you again with 100% certainty that an interview is not a prerequisite for admission nor does recieving one mean you are a preffered candidate.

Instead of focusing on your chances/admissions patterns and systems (which change every semester)/reported interviews/etc... focus on your life! Start writing that script, read some classic ones, go volunteer on set! That way, if you do get an interview, you'll have things worth talking about.

But most of the people still adding their applications before the decisions so they might actually don’t know at first if they will be accepted or not? Yes, obviously adding your application AFTER the denial could not be interesting and people would also less likely to be interested in updating your status from “interviewed” to “denied after interviewed” but there’s still not many “abandoned” applications with unknown fates. The proportion still remains significant
Yes that's why I said a little bit. :) I still obviously think the data is very useful for insight.

It looks like people in 2018 heard back early march-ish? So it might just depend on the applicant pool or something how soon they get acceptances out.

Do you think it's possible that they'd roll out results throughout the week? I know historically they've posted results on weekends, but last year I got my rejection letter on a Friday (Thursday in LA) so I was thinking we might hear something outside of weekends?

Do you think it's possible that they'd roll out results throughout the week? I know historically they've posted results on weekends, but last year I got my rejection letter on a Friday (Thursday in LA) so I was thinking we might hear something outside of weekends?
I think there is no way to predict smth. I read all previous threads and it looks like smth changes every year. It's painful but we just have to wait to find out

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back