2016 Interviews- Acceptances- Rejections

@Paul J. I'm holding you to that lunch! ;)
@Shikha Mahajan Glad you found the posts helpful! I agree that this waiting is the worst. I think a lot, if not all of us, are in this weird limbo state as we wait to hear back. Although, I fear that we are not be experiencing the worst of it just yet. While this part is stressful, I can only imagine what it's going to be like when we're all accepted somewhere, and have to figure out financial aid, finding a place to live, moving, etc. :)

@katavi08 - I am sure that time may be only hectic and not killing as this is! :)
Well, you started preparing for the interview?

@Shikha Mahajan Haha, true! The unknown is always more uncomfortable!
I've started thinking about my interview more! Doing my research on the school, and thinking about what questions I might want to ask. The invite email had contact info for two current students, and the email encouraged me to contact them if I had questions, so I'll probably reach out to them soon as well. :)

@Paul J. I applied to Columbia, NYU, Chapman and Calarts, all for directing programs.

Hi! I ran across this thread today and was so happy to see it. I applied to Columbia and NYU for MFA Writing/Directing for Fall 2016. I am curious to know how many people came from other fields outside of Film? I have a Bachelor of Architecture degree.

Good luck to everyone! Congrats @katavi08 on your interview!

@Leforbusier I have a bachelor's in Eastern European studies.

Last edited:
Hi! I ran across this thread today and was so happy to see it. I applied to Columbia and NYU for MFA Writing/Directing for Fall 2016. I am curious to know how many people came from other fields outside of Film? I have a Bachelor of Architecture degree.

I think quite a few applicants have a background outside of Film. I have work experience in editing books and have a Bachelor degree in English with a minor in psychology. I would have gone for a double major in English and psychology, but I didn't need to. I was going to apply for graduate degrees in Clinical Psych at one time, and a Psych major in undergrad is not necessary for applying. In 2015, I decided not to waste my life and time on something I didn't really want to do (the psych), which is how I wound up here. :)

I have a degree in neuroscience, though I have some working experience in editing and publishing. :)

@Leforbusier In undergrad I was a double major in cinema studies and psychology. All of my work experience has been in higher education. I've produced about five shorts outside of all of this. :)

I have graduated in Computer Applications, Masters in Business Administration and certified Financial Risk Manager. With good number of years of experience in Banking and HR consulting! This looks the most tangent! :p

I have a bachelor's in Computer Science- worked in a tech company and now advertising. I have always thought of my experiences as potential for creative inspiration, it makes me feel better lol

I'm starting to feel like the odd one out with all these outside degrees lol ... BA in Film, Professional Certification in Film Video Media - Writing/Producing.

Don't worry @Amanda , there's lots of film majors here too! I have a BA in Journalism and Screen Studies with a minor in philosophy from the University of Michigan and a Post-BA Certificate in Producing from UCLA Professional Program. All my work experience as an adult has been in film.

I just got back into town after a very long, very fun Mexico trip for a friend's wedding so I'm trying to get into the swing of things again on the forum and with interview notifications coming up so quickly! This forum has been such a great resource and I've really enjoyed all the camaraderie we've all developed! Congrats to those who have gotten good news already and good luck to everyone else still waiting to hear back!

I found this short article on the UCLA Anderson website and thought it was quite useful, so I'm sharing it here. It's not specific for Film & TV programs but we can still relate to most of the aspects to keep in mind.
Good luck to everyone who's being interviewed soon!

6 things to keep in mind when you are getting ready for an admissions interview

1) Know your resume! You need to know your story well in order to make a good impression. Think about it: when you get to business school, you will be talking to companies and you will have to know your story well. It’s much more impressive when a candidate knows his or her story without having to refer to a copy of the resume during the conversation.

2) Treat a skype interview as a face-to face interaction. Eye contact and strong presentation skills are just as important over Skype as in person, so be sure to look in the camera while you are talking! Avoid having ready answers printed in front of you. It is very easy for an interviewer to realize that you are reading the answer instead of telling it from the heart. This one thing can quickly make the wrong impression.

3) The interview normally is about 30 minutes long, and the time flies very quickly. Remember your goal is to show you are a strong candidate, while the interviewer’s goal is to get to know you. Be mindful of time and aim for 2-3 minutes for an answer to a question, avoid taking up most of your precious interview time discussing too many details in your responses. Use a high level approach describing the situation, your impact and the results. The interviewer will ask follow up questions if something is not quite clear.

4) Come up with good questions for the interviewer! Show your interest in the school and the person! The worst situation is when the interview went well and then the candidate asks very general questions about the program with answers easily found on the web site or even worse says: “I have no questions”…

5) Don’t rush to the answer especially if you are taken aback by the question. Take a second to think your answer over and I guarantee you will find a good answer that will demonstrate how awesome you are and what you will bring to the program!

6) Relax and smile! It is an opportunity for you to talk to somebody who was in your shoes some time ago and who is interested in learning more about you! Smile, be positive and speak about yourself with passion!

(Posted by Alena Kostenkova)

I have a BA in Film also!

Yay, @Sam R, that makes three of us now (including @IndecisiveElle) ... Lol I'm sure there are more, as well ... lurking ... it took me a while to decide to join in the convo.

Side note, to those with a different undergrad, absolutely no hate, just excited to know I'm not the only one who is going for round two of a film education. In fact, I'm super impressed by you all - the variety of our experiences is what allows us all to have unique stories to tell! Best of luck to everyone as we endure the anxiety of the next few months of waiting together :)

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back