AFI 2019 Screenwriting

Who's applying?
Any thoughts on the prompt of writing a 5 page scene of "everything changed"?
Since almost any significant scene brings change to an existing situation, what makes this requirement special?
As long as there is a big change, and everyone reacts to it, it suffices?

Last edited:
Kinda short notice for this one, but for the rest of you late applicants: how the hell did you guys tackle the budget plan for the Scholarship application? Kinda at a loss with how to go about it, since my budget plan is "Hope to god you give me some money." But methinks that isn't what they are asking for. So should I make a plan based off having student loans? Just pretend I don't? Really not sure how to go about this. What did the rest of you do?

Last edited:
Submitted my application earlier and -- gasp -- I had no problems whatsoever! In fact, everything worked out rather smoothly! Shocker for me.

Of course that doesn't mean I'm super confidant about getting in (I kinda got real weird and neurotic with my narrative statement), but I'm still just happy to have completed the submission. Nice to be playing in more than just the USC pool this time around!

Submitted my application earlier and -- gasp -- I had no problems whatsoever! In fact, everything worked out rather smoothly! Shocker for me.

Of course that doesn't mean I'm super confidant about getting in (I kinda got real weird and neurotic with my narrative statement), but I'm still just happy to have completed the submission. Nice to be playing in more than just the USC pool this time around!

lol I submitted my application on time but AFI's application system was a nightmare. I filled out the application a couple weeks ago. I followed the link and instructions in the email and there was no sight of my saved application. So I re-did it. But a few hours went by and the application timed out... I had to refresh and it's not saved. So I had to re do the application again... Luckly I had enough time before deadline. I'm not sure why the application wasn't saving. Two weeks ago, I was able to return to it. Either way I'm pretty happy with my application for AFI.

Good luck everyone! :)

lol I submitted my application on time but AFI's application system was a nightmare. I filled out the application a couple weeks ago. I followed the link and instructions in the email and there was no sight of my saved application. So I re-did it. But a few hours went by and the application timed out... I had to refresh and it's not saved. So I had to re do the application again... Luckly I had enough time before deadline. I'm not sure why the application wasn't saving. Two weeks ago, I was able to return to it. Either way I'm pretty happy with my application for AFI.

Good luck everyone! :)

Oh God, good thing that didn't happen to me! As someone who returned to their application to submit the rest of their materials at approximately 10 minutes before the deadline, having to start all over would have spelled doom for me! Good to see it worked out for you in the end, though.

Hello all,

Guess I'll be the first to report, because apparently AFI is sending out interview notifications! Just got mine earlier this morning. So that was a nice way to boost the start of 2019, for me. I'm scheduled for a Skype call on February 4. Anyone else get anything?

Hello all,

Guess I'll be the first to report, because apparently AFI is sending out interview notifications! Just got mine earlier this morning. So that was a nice way to boost the start of 2019, for me. I'm scheduled for a Skype call on February 4. Anyone else get anything?
Awesome! Be sure to check off "post as update" when updating the application with the dates and the new PREFIX. That way people "watching" your application will see it and it'll go to the top of the Application page and lists.

Also - be sure to update the Application Notes section with info about how you were notified and that it's a Skype call... etc... :)

I also made some changes to the Applications today. It's possible to add information that is only visible to site members (AND NOT GOOGLE) such as details you don't want everyone to know or your essay submissions or portfolios submissions.

See the sample I created today to get an idea of what can be done:

Applied - SAMPLE MFA Application 2019

Last edited:
After reading this thread, I checked my email and unfortunately no notification yet, however I did then go on my AFI empower account and it looks like I have been selected for an interview. Good news I suppose :). If anyone here isn't sure of their status in regards to interview or not, I would recommend checking the AFI empower website.

After reading this thread, I checked my email and unfortunately no notification yet, however I did then go on my AFI empower account and it looks like I have been selected for an interview. Good news I suppose :). If anyone here isn't sure of their status in regards to interview or not, I would recommend checking the AFI empower website.

Nothing on the site for me either but I'm sure I'll get it in a few days. I hope this means my interview is later.

giphy.gif

Hi all, great to hear the good news from you fellow interviewees. I'm scheduled for the 15th. Gonna fly in internationally. Does anybody know a rough estimate on how many applicants they interview and how many of those get accepted?

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back