Chapman University Production Design MFA Fall 2024 - Anyone else applying?

livlight

Supporter
Hello! Was just curious if there’s anyone out there who’s also applying. I know it’s a small program, so it’d be nice to meet some other applicants and talk about any questions we might have :)

Good luck! Here's our current acceptance stats and data to the program:

The link above has more info as well.

Also be sure to check out our interview with Chapman if you haven't seen it yet:

How to get into Chapman's Dodge College of Film and Media Arts: Tips from the Department of Admissions (Part 1)

How to get into Chapman's Dodge College of Film and Media Arts: Tips from the Department of Admissions (Part 1)

Rising to number 4 on The Hollywood Reporter's annual rankings of the top 25 American film schools in 2022, Dodge College of Film and Media Arts at Chapman University offers top-notch filmmaking courses in an intimate learning environment. Notable alumni include the Duffer brothers...

I can't remember if production design is talked about in it.

Last edited:
Good luck! Here's our current acceptance stats and data to the program:

The link above has more info as well.

Also be sure to check out our interview with Chapman if you haven't seen it yet:

Rising to number 4 on The Hollywood Reporter's annual rankings of the top 25 American film schools in 2022, Dodge College of Film and Media Arts at Chapman University offers top-notch filmmaking courses in an intimate learning environment. Notable alumni include the Duffer brothers...

I can't remember if production design is talked about in it.
Thank you, Chris!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello! Was just curious if there’s anyone out there who’s also applying. I know it’s a small program, so it’d be nice to meet some other applicants and talk about any questions we might have :)
I am not an applicant but hope this helps.

Hello,

I attended Chapman for 2 years. Graduated with an MFA in production Design this year 2023. My advice is that if you are applying to Chapman for the Production Design MFA program you will use Sketchup as the main software to design but can use other softwares but talk to professors to see what best route is for you when designing. For those wanting to do a B.A. do it but the MFA program is more specific but if you do a B.A. then please talk to John Chichester the Head of the department to guide you and help you.

Please do research on set design, watch tutorials, watch movies. You think it's silly? The amount of students who don't watch movies and movies from the past baffles me.

You will create your own designs and build them in sketchup then dimension them then make miniature models. Buy many books of different time periods. Learn about door jams, windows types of period styles. You will also render. Sketch a lot. As a production designer you won't have time to have fun you will be working harder than anyone else you are constantly learning new techniques. The program only accepts about 6-8 students in the Production Design MFA program so if you plan on applying go do a tour and start talking to John the professor and start making your portfolio stand out. I had no background in designing or architecture but I got in. I can share my stuff upon request.

Look into the ADG initiative applicant requirements if you are applying. You better bring your best work. Many apply and get denied.But I mention this because at the end of your studies you are required to apply (MFA) program. B.A. is optional. I got into the ADG initiative =)

AND DO NOT HAVE AN EGO OR KNOW IT ALL ATTITUDE. You do not know it all. This business is about networking and being liked of course your work is something that speaks for itself but you need to also be a person people want to be around 12 hours a day 5 times a week.

Do not give up and ask questions. Learn how to use a 1/4 scale ruler this is a must!!! Also learn photoshop and if you can how to use a 3d printer.

Hope this helps but if anyone has specific questions my name is Daisy Reyna. You can find me on IG @imdaisyflowers. Or somewhere. Enjoy and Goodluck. I will mention that all 6 students at chapman got into the Initiative unlike AFI. just saying =)

Last edited:
I am not an applicant but hope this helps.

Hello,

I attended Chapman for 2 years. Graduated with an MFA in production Design this year 2023. My advice is that if you are applying to Chapman for the Production Design MFA program you will use Sketchup as the main software to design but can use other softwares but talk to professors to see what best route is for you when designing. For those wanting to do a B.A. do it but the MFA program is more specific but if you do a B.A. then please talk to John Chichester the Head of the department to guide you and help you.

Please do research on set design, watch tutorials, watch movies. You think it's silly? The amount of students who don't watch movies and movies from the past baffles me.

You will create your own designs and build them in sketchup then dimension them then make miniature models. Buy many books of different time periods. Learn about door jams, windows types of period styles. You will also render. Sketch a lot. As a production designer you won't have time to have fun you will be working harder than anyone else you are constantly learning new techniques. The program only accepts about 6-8 students in the Production Design MFA program so if you plan on applying go do a tour and start talking to John the professor and start making your portfolio stand out. I had no background in designing or architecture but I got in. I can share my stuff upon request.

Look into the ADG initiative applicant requirements if you are applying. You better bring your best work. Many apply and get denied.But I mention this because at the end of your studies you are required to apply (MFA) program. B.A. is optional. I got into the ADG initiative =)

AND DO NOT HAVE AN EGO OR KNOW IT ALL ATTITUDE. You do not know it all. This business is about networking and being liked of course your work is something that speaks for itself but you need to also be a person people want to be around 12 hours a day 5 times a week.

Do not give up and ask questions. Learn how to use a 1/4 scale ruler this is a must!!! Also learn photoshop and if you can how to use a 3d printer.

Hope this helps but if anyone has specific questions my name is Daisy Reyna. You can find me on IG @imdaisyflowers. Or somewhere. Enjoy and Goodluck. I will mention that all 6 students at chapman got into the Initiative unlike AFI. just saying =)
Wow!! Thank you so much! This is all so detailed and helpful 🙏

Not sure if anyone will see this, but as I wrap up all my application materials I had a question about the creative portfolio list. Should we include projects that we are already showcasing in our actual portfolio, along with other projects we didn’t have space for? Or should the portfolio projects be separate from the list?

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• UC Berkeley
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    Concentration: Film and Media Studies
    UC Berkeley Film Packs a Punch!
    I absolutely loved my time at UC Berkeley and I would not have traded doing my undergrad there even for a top spot at UCLA for a BFA in Film...
    • 8ballqueen
  • Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back