1. The FilmSchool.org community has been helping people apply to film school since 2002. Log in or Create an Account and get your film school questions answered.

Columbia University - MFA - Fall 2018

Discussion in 'Graduate Film School Discussions' started by Patrick Clement, Sep 15, 2017.

1. IndecisiveElle

IndecisiveElle Active Member Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +450
    @Patrick Clement and @sharkb8 - do you mind if I reference some of these financial aid posts for my article on funding? I'll put a link to this thread and Patrick's post as a citation too. I'll be a more broad coverage of the topic, but you bought brought up some great considerations I'd like to reference and incorporate.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Patrick Clement

Patrick Clement Active Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +188
    fine by me!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Zeno

Zeno Active Member

Ratings:
    +80
    Things get very dynamic right before deposits are due! ;) Course, Columbia's is due, postmarked check or money order per the dept, by the 17th. Be interested to hear who's waiting to hear back on info regarding scholarship funds freeing up (from accepted folks being syphoned off to other programs) before they turn in their deposit this upcoming week. Also, any waitlisters being contacted because a space opened up yet? Suffice it to say, important news is coming for those accepted looking for funds and those waitlisted looking for places.

#423 Zeno, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  4. gotenda

gotenda Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Hello! Columbia has been bombarding me with calls and emails from alumni/enrolled students the past week. Is that normal? Haha. They say they really want me to attend the school. They also increased my scholarships. Is that the case for you, too?

I was also wondering how much the average scholarship provided by Columbia is?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Zeno

Zeno Active Member

Ratings:
    +80
    Congrats on the scholarship funds! You are blessed as, from what I hear, the average scholarship is closer to zero. Personally, I'm waiting to hear back (see above :)). My understanding is that international students get the bulk of these funds as they don't have access to the same level of aid -- given non citizens aren't able to do the FAFSA. Specifically, government loans. Are you planning on going to Columbia? I don't see you on the tracking sheets.

#425 Zeno, Apr 15, 2018 at 12:21 PM
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018 at 4:13 PM
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Chris W

Chris W Get Busy Living Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +322
    I seem to remember this happening previous years too.

• Like Like x 1
  7. redroom29

redroom29 Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +51
    For those who've accepted their admissions offer, have you received any news from the program? I assume they'll wait until after the decision deadline.

• Like Like x 2
  8. oscarkobe8

oscarkobe8 New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Has anyone on the waitlist heard back?