CSU MFA Screenwriting Programs

Congrats, Porty. I just accepted CSUN's offer yesterday, so unless Pepperdine can make a strong pitch (if I'm even accepted) I'll be attending CSUN in the fall.

Wow, New Zealand? I thought I was making a big trip from Virginia. Anyway, I think it'll be a great place to be.

Hey all! I've been lurking on this page for awhile. I was also accepted into CSUN and I have already sent the e-mail that I was coming. I was trying to wait it out for the another program, but time is running out and if I am officially accepted there, I wouldn't be able to afford the program nohow. Some of these programs are crazy expensive and CSUN isn't that bad. Plus it's close to the industry so we will all have a chance to get our feet wet. I hope I will be seeing you guys soon and good luck on whatever you decide to do.

I also accepted CSUN's offer via e-mail today. Just with weighing my options, CSUN is the best choice for me for right now. I haven't received any other admissions offers yet, but I will be declining if I do. Plus, if I want a Ph.D in the future, I don't want to be in debt from my Master's degree. I too like the idea that Northridge is close to the industry for internships and such. Plus, TV shows/movies have been filmed on campus. Pretty cool! :)

I'd like to get to know my fellow classmates!

Where are you guys coming from(country/state)?
What did you study in undergrad and what is your academic background?
What type of writing sample did you submit to CSUN?
What class or classes are you most looking forward to taking at CSUN?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am from Richmond, CA
I am a English: Creative Writing major at San Francisco State University.
For the writing sample I submitted two short plays.
Besides the main screenwriting classes, I am looking forward to the adaptation and the writing class for one hour drama.

Ok, here goes.

I am from Dunedin, New Zealand
I was an English Major at Otago University (Dunedin, New Zealand) but that was a few years ago (I'm 34 now)
For the writing sample I submitted a feature length screenplay.
I am looking forward to ... the whole package. Coming from a small town on the other side of the world - having the chance to live, write and study on Hollywood's doorstep for two years feels quite special.

Oh, and congratulations mmall :)

Looking forward to meeting you guys! :)

My info:
I am originally from Orange County, CA, but finishing school in Berkeley, CA.
I am a Film Studies major with a minor in Disability Studies at UC Berkeley.
For the writing sample, I submitted a 21 page short film script.
I am most looking forward to taking Writing Episodic Television (One Hour Drama) and some of the main Screenwriting courses. I'm hoping to find a way to adapt the curriculum, so I can also take a few ASL classes and maybe do a TV thesis project instead of a feature-length screenplay, but I don't know if that's possible yet.

Congrats, mmall.

I'll be traveling from Richmond, VA come this fall. I'm finishing up my MA in English here at VCU right now, and while I've always wanted to get into film, I finally worked up the courage to chase after it following a screenwriting seminar last fall.

I submitted the first draft of a feature length with my application. I've had a few nonstarter screenplays that I've worked on in the past, but this was the first one I've been able to finish. That said, I think I'll just appreciate having that workshop atmosphere again.

I think I'm looking forward to working on TV scripts, though I'd like to try my hand at half hours.

@John Paul: So cool that you're going for a 2nd Masters degree! Good for you! How do you like your English MA?

I'm mostly interested in TV writing, so I'm curious as to how much the program will let us do elective-wise and if we can make arrangements to do a TV thesis project. I'm just more TV minded and I've written more TV scripts and short film scripts than feature-length ones.

Was accepted today into CSU LA's MFA in Dramatic Writing Program! I don't know how competitive it is. But I will be declining since I already accepted my spot at Northridge. Does anyone know the reputability of the CSU MFA/MA Screenwriting programs? Like, we know UCLA and all of the big (and some smaller) private schools are more well-known than Northridge.

I don't regret my choice to attend Northridge at all. I'm just curious.

I'll be finishing the MA in about week, so that's exciting, but I kind of wished that I had figured out that I really wanted to do film beforehand. Before, you know, I invested the money in it.

It's all right, though. Maybe it'll help me get some work when I move out to CA.

Hi All,

Congrats to those who have been accepted to programs!

I'm wondering if ANYONE has heard from CSUF? It's the only school I applied to, which I now know was a huge mistake. :'( It's already the end of April... I thought they would have notified us by now.

Cahoots, do you know if they are canceling the program? Or, do you know when they intend to let us know?

I would appreciate anyone's impute. Thanks!

Sincerely,
Still Hopeful

Hi Natalie,

No idea if they're cancelling or not- all it says on one of their pdfs linked to the program page is "pending this and pending that", pending professor availability, pending funds.

It says they're planning on "combining" the cohorts for classes- take a look. According to an email from Dr. Fink that was published - they won't even be setting professors until July 9- when all the other schools set Fall 2012 professors in January 2012 (usually standard).

Maybe you could take UCLA Extension classes or do the UCLA Professional Program (rolling admissions) and in my opinion- a much better learning environment and value than CSUF's "MFA".

Hey Cahoots,

Thanks for the quick response! I can't believe they are waiting until July to figure that out. They must be having a difficult time holding on to professors. Does Professor Posner still work there? I e-mailed him regarding my admission status two weeks ago, but never received a reply. :(

Also I've read some of your other posts in this thread, and I'm just curious, are you transferring or just quitting the program?

Funny you should mention UCLA, I just graduated from there last year and took a screenwriting class through the extension program last spring. It was a great program, but only offered classes at inconvenient times. :/ However, I may choose to go that route if it's my only option.

Posner is definitely alive and emailing. Just got an email from him a couple days ago. That sucks he hasn't written you back in two weeks! Bad business.

Apparently you can only transfer so many credits to other programs. Frown too.
This MFA isn't worth another year. That bad.

You can do both Extension and the Professional Program online w/ UCLA. Good luck!

Yeah, I haven't heard anything from CSUF either, but since I don't plan to go there, I'm not too worried anymore.

Has anyone who's going to CSUN this fall heard anything via e-mail or regular mail about enrollment or anything yet? Or am I worrying for nothing?

Yeah, I got the same e-mail as John Paul. I went on to myportal at CSUN and saw that I could enroll for classes June 28th I believe. I am still a little confused on how and when we are supposed to pay for fees and such. I might call someone, just to make sure.

Hi all,

I know most of you have already accepted CSUN's offer, but I'd be so grateful if any of you let me know when you hear from csuf. I'm going to visit the department office for some answers this week, but who knows what will happen.

hope it's worth the gas to get an answer at all. In person = stuff they can't tell you over email, or else they would go ahead and write it.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back