NFTS 2014

Hey everyone, name is Ed and I applied to the Digital Effects MA at NTFS like some of you on this forum. I got an email this morning inviting for an interview the 17th of this month.

Does anyone know what we can expect in this interview?

Also, I want to wish luck to those interviewing next week.

Cheers,
ED

accepted this morning for digital effects. Anyone one else get in? It would be nice to start talking with the future classmates.

What spec did you choose? I went for compositing, I cant wait for it to start... And another thing for those outside London, have you found a place to stay? Just curious :)

Congratulations to everyone who has got in :) I was accepted on to the composing for film and television course about a month ago. Does anyone have plans for where/how they are going to find accommodation?

Congratulations to everyone who has got in :) I was accepted on to the composing for film and television course about a month ago. Does anyone have plans for where/how they are going to find accommodation?

Hey, congrats on getting in as well! We got an email last week from housing or something. I'm not really sure how to handle the whole living thing yet. But if I can share an apartment/house with people from the school, it would be great. Anybody has suggestions?

Hey, congrats on getting in as well! We got an email last week from housing or something. I'm not really sure how to handle the whole living thing yet. But if I can share an apartment/house with people from the school, it would be great. Anybody has suggestions?

Thanks! Yeah I saw that, luckily accommodation isn't looking quite as expensive as I had expected. I'm hoping to live in beaconsfield at least for the first year, although I know a lot of people are looking for places in London. I'm also looking to share with people from the school, but I have to wait until I find out about funding later this month so that I know what my budget is. Here is my facebook for anyone who wants to chat etc https://www.facebook.com/welcometoskyvalley

Hi LMTD92, nice to me you - I got accepted for composition too! What sort of music do you write/like etc? In regards to accommodation, I'm just keeping a lookout with the newsletter and on Zoopla/Spareroom etc for places in Beaconsfield and London. A friend of mine from uni also got accepted for composition too so see you there! :)

What spec did you choose? I went for compositing, I cant wait for it to start... And another thing for those outside London, have you found a place to stay? Just curious :)
I went for compositing too - really looking forward to getting started! I haven't found anywhere to stay yet but I'm looking!

Congratulations to everyone, glad to see so many happy faces!
Does anyone have any idea about the "extra" expenses that the Digital Effects course (or any other NFTS course) may have? I dont know... mandatory stuff that costs, besides the annual fee?

Congratulations to everyone, glad to see so many happy faces!
Does anyone have any idea about the "extra" expenses that the Digital Effects course (or any other NFTS course) may have? I dont know... mandatory stuff that costs, besides the annual fee?

I second that. I'm planning to buy a new computer for Digital Effects, but I don't know if we require an specific one or one at all (I would still like to own a new one for homework).

Also, do you find it weird they are still accepting applications to our program, even after they send their acceptances?

I second that. I'm planning to buy a new computer for Digital Effects, but I don't know if we require an specific one or one at all (I would still like to own a new one for homework).

Also, do you find it weird they are still accepting applications to our program, even after they send their acceptances?

Hi Ed/Alex/all
Ill be starting DFX in Jan as well, compositing. (depends on the result of funding, so fingers crossed!)

was thinking the same actually re why they're still accepting people, not sure if it's a good sign or not! less students could mean more budget for the course...?

I hope we'd get discounts through school to buy macs or software once enrolled. From sound of it though, each student will have his/her own machine, so homework stuff can all be done at school, assuming you'll be living nearby. Have no clue where Ill be living yet (beaconsfield or London..)

was also wondering if (a big 'if'..) students at DFX will get a chance to write/direct their own film, or get a chance to learn other aspects of filmmaking (producing, cinematography, directing, etc) which would be useful? forgot to ask about it at the interview so wondering if anyone knows anything about that? I know there will be exercises, but wasnt sure if there's any sort of 'pre-production/production' learning in the curriculum, or if it's all post production.

Hi Ed/Alex/all
Ill be starting DFX in Jan as well, compositing. (depends on the result of funding, so fingers crossed!)

was thinking the same actually re why they're still accepting people, not sure if it's a good sign or not! less students could mean more budget for the course...?

I hope we'd get discounts through school to buy macs or software once enrolled. From sound of it though, each student will have his/her own machine, so homework stuff can all be done at school, assuming you'll be living nearby. Have no clue where Ill be living yet (beaconsfield or London..)

was also wondering if (a big 'if'..) students at DFX will get a chance to write/direct their own film, or get a chance to learn other aspects of filmmaking (producing, cinematography, directing, etc) which would be useful? forgot to ask about it at the interview so wondering if anyone knows anything about that? I know there will be exercises, but wasnt sure if there's any sort of 'pre-production/production' learning in the curriculum, or if it's all post production.

Hey AJ,

Is nice to see another Digital Effects person here. I am honestly shocked that people can still apply. Does that basically mean anyone who applies gets in? I have a theory that many enjoy the products of digital effects, but not many actually want to make them. Nevertheless, their logic and application guidelines are a complete mystery for me as well.

As long as we are given a student email of some sorts, we can apply for all kinds of student commercial benefits. Which includes discounts for Macs, HP, and Dell computers. On top of that we get a cheaper (or free, not sure) year of Amazon prime which is pretty awesome because it includes the video service.

I think nobody really has a priority on directing stuff over others. If you have an idea you want to produce/direct, all you need to do is gather up a team of individuals who want to carry out your vision, and get it approved by the school to make it happen. In fact, I plan to do this on my second year. My first year is going to be dedicated to helping others with their visions. And it would not be unreasonable for us to see some very basic classes on directing, producing, and some of the other aspects of filmmaking. However, I would not be surprised either if we don´t see any since our program is highly specialized. I think one of the things that makes NTFS so special is that every degree is specialized towards a set of skill, and not treated as a film degree with a specialization in something. But don´t worry, if is not from classes, you will learn directing and other stuff through observation and working in projects with others.

Also, and this goes to anyone reading this not only AJ. What´s going on with the housing email? I keep contacting them to get on the list, but the emails keep bouncing on me. I´m looking for a place ideally somewhere between Beaconsfield and London.

Maybe they just want to try more groups this year...
Anyway, did any of you guys get in the first email "you've received a conditional offer to join... and if all documents are ok, you'll get an unconditional one"? I dont know if i should be worried that i didnt get the unconditional one even thoough i paid?

Hey guys, I know its an old treat but still gonna give it a try. I am a high school graduate, but have been wanting to study filmmaking since i was...6 yes 6 years old :D. For the past 4 years I've been looking and following the best film schools in the world, and the conclusion i came to is: NFTS is best for English language students. There are other great school around the globe(not considering America at all, because of the bullshit state they are) but for english speaking students NFTS is outshining them all. So I am getting a sense, that its incredibly hard to get accepted the first year. Besides that I don't have a bachelor in anything, but when I asked them if I need a BA degree to apply for MA Directing Fiction, they said dont worry if you have a portfolio, give it a try. So with the deadlines approaching do you think I have any real chance to get in? Considering i will be 20 at the start of the course, I have 4-5 film projects I have worked on and directed 3 of them. Or should I consider applying to other film schools like Met, London Film School, etc. or should I stick with NFTS only as its the only school I am willing to pay those fees. Met film school has almoust the same annual fees, and still the level of expertise, their facilities, teachers and all are at lot lower quality?
loooking forward to hearing from you guys,
Jordan

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back